HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Discussion
Newbie question on Parallel charging

I have a balance charger that outputs 3amps (also has 2 and 1 amp setting). I want to be able to charge multiple lipos at the same time. I purchased this:

The lipos are all 3S 2200mAh. For now, I just want the convenience of hooking up 3 batteries and letting them charge overnight. I'm thinking that the actual charging time will still be longer than changing one Lipos since I'm only outputting a total of 3amps(correct?).
At some point, I would look at getting a more capable charger that could reduce the time it takes to charge as well.
So, am I on the right track here? Thanks for your help!
leatherlips is offline Find More Posts by leatherlips
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:24 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Suggest you read this site:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

And then don't do what you are talking about doing, buy a better charger first. Rule one of charging lipos is don't leave them unattended. Many of the stories of fires are from people who left them charging overnight while the slept.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:40 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
I did a ton of reading thru these threads on chargers etc. My first charger was a 50 watt Hyperion ac/dc. The best info I gleaned from all the threads was put your top dollars into a good charging system right off the bat. I don't recall how many threads I read where the person was on there 3rd or 4th cheapo charger.
I used to do 1 batt 2200 3s at a time. I finally assessed what I wanted to do for the next 2-3 years and went with a Step Up from PRC..500 watt power server and an I charger and a board like you showed (deans connectors). All in was maybe 225.00Now I want to build or buy a storage/discharger for when I don't use the batteries so I can quickly draw them down.
Take a look at PRC or EP buddy. There are many others but these had a variety of Systems and PRC will answer your questions quickly.
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,249 Posts
3 2200mah batteries would charge at 6.6amps for a 1c rate so at 3amps you are just under .5c so I would guess it would take 2 1/2 - 3hrs. to charge them. So if you can watch them for that long or have a good fireproof place to charge them it won't take overnight.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Quote:
Many of the stories of fires are from people who left them charging overnight while the slept.
YIKES! I left one Lipo connected in my garage before heading to work!
I'll be leaving from work early today!

I have looked at umpteen posts on batteries and parallel charging and most get into details far over my head. The link above is pretty concise and I think i understand the basics.
Since I can't leave them overnight, I'll just have to plan time to charge them so i can keep an eye on them. If it really is 2-3 hours, that's not bad at all.

Thanks for your help!
leatherlips is offline Find More Posts by leatherlips
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:05 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a bit confused here, If I just want to balance charge the 3 3S 2200mAh on a charger like this, I have to have the balancing leads and the discharge leads hooked up? I figured you could just plug only the balance leads in and charge it that way?

Sorry, still a noob in the electrical department.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Most chargers charge through the discharge leads because the small wire of the balance leads can only handle a few amps. In theory you can use the parallel board with that type of charger just using the balance connectors, but there's a slim possibility you will burn up the board as those traces on the board normally only see about 500ma using a normal charger and were probably designed with that current load in mind. You'll notice the main traces in the center are much much thicker to handle the higher current of a normal charger.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
Since I can't leave them overnight, I'll just have to plan time to charge them so i can keep an eye on them. If it really is 2-3 hours, that's not bad at all.
I parallel charge in the garage at 3C on 3 chargers (for different cell counts) and the time it takes to charge 10-14 batteries is about the time it takes to get the car all packed up. Somewhere around 20 minutes.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:28 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Most chargers charge through the discharge leads because the small wire of the balance leads can only handle a few amps. In theory you can use the parallel board with that type of charger just using the balance connectors, but there's a slim possibility you will burn up the board as those traces on the board normally only see about 500ma using a normal charger and were probably designed with that current load in mind. You'll notice the main traces in the center are much much thicker to handle the higher current of a normal charger.
That answers my question perfectly..Thank you Grimbeaver!
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1