HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:34 AM
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Discussion
Building 50'' Orkney Express from Robbe

Hello guys. i am building a 50'' Orkney express from robbe. i received a kit from my old friend, who had it on the basement. it is a lot of plastic and i am building it up. but, i stuck with one thing. i don't know what motor should i use. well, 2 motors. i am thinkig of using motorcycle 12V battery, so motor should be 12V. and what is with esc?or bec, because i need to go forward and backward.
I already build a weedwacker 52'' boat from scratch, so i have some experience with gas motors, but very little with electric, so please, help me out a little bit. boat should go fast, not realy fast, and i want to have some torque.

regards

http://www.smc-noris.de/orkney.htm
rakec is offline Find More Posts by rakec
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,232 Posts
If your going brushed, I would suggest a pair 700 brushed motors with a 35mm to 40mm prop. Your could use a pair of 550's like in the ProBoat Pt-109, but they may not be enough.

I would think a pair of Traxxas Titan 775's or Mabuchi 775's You will need two Traxxas 16.8v ESC's. There are other brands. The older 14.8v Traxxas may work just the same, but you can go Lipo with the 16.8v

Get some Lipo batteries and a charger. Stop screwing around with lead acid batteries. Do you cary around a motorcycle battery for you laptop? What the heck is it with the motorcycle batteries? I have one to start my snowmobile, and it's a pain in the butt! Takes eight hours to charge the darn thing!!

11.1v 3s Lipo battery would be a good choice for brushed 700's.

Two Astro Flight 25 motors would work, but those are $390.00 each. Nice motors, but a little out of reach for most.

Graupner has the 700BB, but the price is just stupid for something that is out-of-date and almost obsolete.

http://kershawdesigns.com/index.htm

I would use two M4 shafts with four blade 40mm plastic props. I would hook up two Turnigy 3974 2200kv motors with a 160 amp esc for each one. Program them for counter rotation and use a "Y harnes" to control them through the receiver.

I would use two 10000 mAh 7.4v 2s 40-80c batteries for each motor. You could go 11.1v 3s if you want.

This is just in theory, but it should move!!! It should rock!
Tollytime is online now Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; Jan 09, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:12 AM
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Thanks for some info, but i decided after a lot of forum search and comapre to my budget, that i will use 2x brushed mabuchi RS 555PH-3255 12V DC motors.
now, my question is, what esc? in parameters for that motor i can't find what is A draw, so i have no idea which esc should i use. in some search, i find, that 20A esc should be fine. i want to have esc with bacwards function too, so my question is, will that be fine or not:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320A-Speed...item4606b5525b

motor specs:

Manufacturer: Mabuchi

Model Number: RS-555PH-3225

Speed@rated Torque: 3950 RPM

Voltage: 9 to 30 VDC

Nominal Voltage: 12VDC constant

Motor Size: 1-7/16" dia x 2-5/8" long.

Shaft Size: 1/4 flatted shaft 1/8 Diameter 1/2" long.

Motor Connection: 3/16" push on terminals

No load speed: 5500RPM

Torque@Rated Speed: 380.3 gm-cm

Stall Torque: 1360 gm-cm

Features: "wrap around" magnetic shield

3mm mounting holes on the face
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:05 PM
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
And there are some pics from building. i am current stuck with color choice.

Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:28 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,262 Posts
Nice looking boat.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:57 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Nice progress on your build!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:21 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Great job, are you putting a bow thruster in it since it is so long.
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:20 PM
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
no bow thruster. it is not in the kit. i think that should be fine without it, but just in case, there is pleny of room to install it.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:16 AM
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
hello guys. some pics, building is doing fine, those water canon take me almost a week. i also have one request. i receive a esc from heli, and everything is in german. i hope someony know something about this esc and can tell me, if i can use him and why are so many wires on it, on the oposite from motor and battery gauge, mcr42-45ho

Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:28 PM
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
guys, i am stuck with a problem. i try to run my boat on the water, 2 motors on one esc, and the motors are vibrating as hell. i try to change the aligment and the aligment is perfect. vibration is very noisy. how can i silence that down?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:32 PM
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Some pics, i installed almost all accessories to the boat, still some work must be done. i need to change the main engines, and i am still waiting to receive the esc which i bought almost a month ago. i will use multi-switch from HK, i already burned one so i need to ordered new one. i will additional installed bigger crane to the left side, because i also have little boat called mowe, which i will have on my boat. crane which is already on the boat, will only be operated manualy, because i don't have enough channels to operate both

some pics:

rubber around the boat is missing and the wood on the deck is drying at the moment

paint need to be feixed on some places

mowe

Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:56 AM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Looking in my 97/98 Robbe book it shows that they recommened then a 2X model 4470. Cross refrencing 4470 is Power 700/ 13 T motor. 13 amp motor.

In my Happy Hunter I am using 2 Navy EF 76 II which give me a nice burst of power and speed when I need.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
That is one gorgeous model. What do you think. Is it worth the price? On checkout at Robbe it came out to about 2,200.00 Canadian. And then there is the shipping of it. Holy Smokes!
It seems a little over the top in price.
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willj View Post
That is one gorgeous model. What do you think. Is it worth the price? On checkout at Robbe it came out to about 2,200.00 Canadian. And then there is the shipping of it. Holy Smokes!
It seems a little over the top in price.

If you don't mind building in wood, buy a Dumas American Enterprise for around 150 bucks....more or less the same style of boat.
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:56 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakec View Post
guys, i am stuck with a problem. i try to run my boat on the water, 2 motors on one esc, and the motors are vibrating as hell. i try to change the aligment and the aligment is perfect. vibration is very noisy. how can i silence that down?
Hi Rakec,

What does vibrate? Only the motors, or the entire drivetrain?

In one of the pictures I can see the couplers and a rather long piece of unsupported shaft, how long is that piece and how true are your couplers?

It's very well possible there is a resonance building in the unsupported shafts.

I assume you did fill the stuffing tubes with light grease?

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled