Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:54 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2012
205 Posts
Discussion
SPEAKING OF GEARS, anybody try helical?

The helical gears look good and claim to perform better in the advertising. Are they really better? I know, just opened another can of worms!

Stevo
Evercopter4 is offline Find More Posts by Evercopter4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:36 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,942 Posts
Main gears?

The stock gear on my 450 pro v2 is helical, I like it. It seems to me to be a lot less noisy and mesh smoother altogether. I have a straight main gear on my exi, but the whole gear setup is align, and the mesh doesn't seem as smooth to me. Still not worth changing out to me unless I ruin my main gear, then I might switch to helical on the exi one day.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:26 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,958 Posts
In airsoft, we use them to make the gears less noisy and it supposedly does a better job transferring power from the motor. The contact point slides along the length of the tooth and you can have more than one tooth in contact at once, so it's probably stronger too. Does all that actually matter? I have no idea, i just run and shoot.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:09 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,223 Posts
I have helical gears in my RJX's. Can't say they are any better, since they have only had the helical gears. Can say they are quiet, smooth, and no issues so far.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:37 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,483 Posts
there not bad but they put more torque on the motor shaft so youll want a bearing supported pinion if your using them
and setting the lash must be done carefully
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:39 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,495 Posts
I briefly owned a T-Rex 600 EFL/Pro with helical/slant gears and was amazed at how quiet it was compared to my other straight-cut geared helis. Not like they are loud of course but with the helical-geared heli, you could hear the motor and blade noise over the gears.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:29 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,345 Posts
Helical Gears

Advantage Ė they are quieter. Thatís the main reason that manufacturers are putting them in new kits. It also keeps you from purchasing pinion gears from other venders.

Disadvantages:
1. From a mechanical engineering standpoint they are slightly less efficient. Thatís why some racing motorcycles and racecars have transmissions with straight cut gears.
2. They create a side loading on the ball bearings.
3. You are stuck with getting pinions from the same manufacturer.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:44 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Advantage – they are quieter. That’s the main reason that manufacturers are putting them in new kits. It also keeps you from purchasing pinion gears from other venders.

Disadvantages:
1. From a mechanical engineering standpoint they are slightly less efficient. That’s why some racing motorcycles and racecars have transmissions with straight cut gears.
2. They create a side loading on the ball bearings.
3. You are stuck with getting pinions from the same manufacturer.

I have slate helical gears on both 450 tarot helis. Same quality as Align. I've checked both. The pinion gears are $3 each and the main gears are 2 for 1.27 so if you want to try them, its no big expense. Totally interchangeable with Align.

I was just thinking, the new Align has 3.5mm motor shaft so with the 450mx motor you have to buy Align.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100