HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:44 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
119 Posts
Help!
Need help finding the correct part number for the first generation OS rotary engine

I bought this first generation os rotary engine ( NSU wankel ) that came without a carb.

and i made a big mistake when i bought the wrong carb of amazon. (the carb is for the 2nd generation.
murcielago is offline Find More Posts by murcielago
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:43 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murcielago View Post
I bought this first generation os rotary engine ( NSU wankel ) that came without a carb.

and i made a big mistake when i bought the wrong carb of amazon. (the carb is for the 2nd generation.
You most probably do have the 3rd or 4th generation carb ? hard to tell without picture. Look at the pictures of my engines. Remarkably the old style (4) carb was used for the anniversary gold version but in black anodising. I do have several worn Wankels for didactical reasons.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Dec 2010
119 Posts
nope. the carb doesnt fit at all. the mounting screws are rotated 90deg away

the part number is 41618020

if i am able to find a carb that fits perfectly can I use it without any issues? does it have to be the exact same model?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,522 Posts
Probably not. Any carb that fits will probably work. I have both the first and second versions. let me check and see what yours uses. Your best bet would probably be a Perry carb.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:18 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
nope. the carb doesnt fit at all. the mounting screws are rotated 90deg away

the part number is 41618020

if i am able to find a carb that fits perfectly can I use it without any issues? does it have to be the exact same model?
The carburettor hole diameter is 9 millimeter. If the dia.size of the carb you've got is 9mm then you can drill and tap two new correctly positionned holes. I did check in my 1990 OS parts catalogue and the OS number for the old style carburettor is number 41618010. But the carb as shown in my first picture came before all those 2's 3's and 4's. You seem to have received the latest version as used today.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
The carburettor hole diameter is 9 millimeter. If the dia.size of the carb you've got is 9mm then you can drill and tap two new correctly positionned holes. I did check in my 1990 OS parts catalogue and the OS number for the old style carburettor is number 41618010. But the carb as shown in my first picture came before all those 2's 3's and 4's. You seem to have received the latest version as used today.
i doubt it's the 41618010 as well because the mounting holes are perpendicular to the needle
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:30 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
OS wankel

OS Wankel engine manual 1990
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:06 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
OS wankel

Here you have all 3 carbs as used on Wankels. All are of 9mm diameter. The one on the right with the trumpet intake is the last version and the only one with mounting holes on the other side. Picture two shows an older 10FP carb again 9mm and that can go straight into the Wankel. But later FP's did have a black plastic fuel nipple mind. Only other difference between the older and the latest wankel is the size of the screws, 2,5mm for the elder ones and 3,34mm on the latest version. But not too sure on them treads, possibly OS sizes, have not time to sort that out right now.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Here you have all 3 carbs as used on Wankels. All are of 9mm diameter. The one on the right with the trumpet intake is the last version and the only one with mounting holes on the other side. Picture two shows an older 10FP carb again 9mm and that can go straight into the Wankel. But later FP's did have a black plastic fuel nipple mind. Only other difference between the older and the latest wankel is the size of the screws, 2,5mm for the elder ones and 3,34mm on the latest version. But not too sure on them treads, possibly OS sizes, have not time to sort that out right now.
the carb on the left looks like the one on stock images for my engine.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:02 AM
Joined Dec 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
OS Wankel engine manual 1990
well this is strange.

a few results on google shows otherwise..
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:33 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
the carb on the left looks like the one on stock images for my engine.
Yes that was the very first carburettor followed by the newer type second in the pic. I'll see if I can assemble one of those first types from the many parts that I have ? I am pretty sure that I do have a complete second type somewhere.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:34 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
well this is strange.

a few results on google shows otherwise..
This is from the original OS factory parts book from 1990
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:52 AM
Joined Dec 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
This is from the original OS factory parts book from 1990
i think i know why.

The intake port is located right beside the exhaust port on the book.

In the first generation wankel, the intake port is located in front and to the side of the exhaust port.

also, the front housing contains alot more fins than the first generation's housing .