HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2003, 07:26 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Silent afterburner for Dandy Sport

I got one flight this morning on my oft-flown Dandy Sport, only instead of the Astro 010 in the noisy GWS gearbox in it, it now has an AXi 2212/34. I went conservative and started with the 9X6SF prop rather than the 10X7. Battery on this sortie was a 3s ETec 1200 pack.

Short roll out, pull vertical and hang on! And, as I hoped for, virtually NO sound. I love direct drive.

Overall it's a bit faster at full throttle and climbs more strongly than it did before. No idea what the full duration will be. I flew it for 15 minutes and then landed to try a prop swap to the 10X7. However, I had a prop adapter problem (the 29mm Maxx Products aluminum spinner) so I'll have to try that later. The weather is supposed to be acceptable again perhaps Sunday afternoon.

As for how I mounted the motor in the plane (without removing the "stick" for the GWS gearbox)..... that will be revealed as soon as I have permission to share it.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:01 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
who other then HL sells AXI motors?? I want to buy one I think, I also need another nippy black but I want to try an axi
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:45 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
www.Parkflyermotors.com

Tell Ole' Bill, TRAM told ya about the site... hehe..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:26 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Just got an order in from Ole' Bill last week ) didn't look at his motors when I ordered!!!
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:51 PM
Helena, Montana, United States
Joined Sep 2003
356 Posts
Brunswick, Don't you need a Razor. Just kidding.
Aaron
iflych52 is offline Find More Posts by iflych52
Old Dec 20, 2003, 09:42 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
I've said on many posts that I'll gladly buy another Razor, they are good motors. So when the price gets back down to $69 I'll buy another.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:40 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
120W+ per lb.: OMG!!!!

I just came in from a test flight with the 10x7SF on the silent afterburner Dandy Sport. OH MY GOSH!!!! (trivia question: can anyone name the designer of the electric pylon racer by that name?)

Anyway - "accelerates straight up" is an undestatement. I found I was doing things at half throttle that I used to do at full throttle on the 010 system. After over 30 minutes of flying (much of that at low or no power because it goes up so fast) it will still accelerate straight up at full power and go straight up as long as I can practically hold it there at less than 3/4.

With this kind of power on tap of course maneuvers can be as big as I like and top speed is up quite a bit - not that it stays at full power for more than a few seconds at any one time.

And of course all of this with just a soft whine from the motor.... as I said before, I love direct drive.

Now I know what all you Hacker/Razor guys are talking about when you say you can hover at half throttle and accelerate out of a hover at 3/4 - not that the DS is a hoverer, but the power is there to do such things.

Oh - the mount. I'll take a couple of pictures showing how it was done - but the mount is a new one from Stevens Aeromodel that is short and stiff and supports the motor very well. The front of it has two layers of ply and flexes very little. As with all of Bill's stuff it all interlocks and part fitup is snug and precise.

The battery from yestderday's flight took a little over 850 mAh to recharge, but with the bigger prop I have to use much less throttle for desired performance so duration will go UP. The fact that today it was still pulling out of my hands easily after 34 minutes of flight vs. yesterday's 15 minutes just verifies that. (Yesterday's battery was a 3s ET1200 and today a 3s TP1300 - 0.2 ounces heavier. I'll edit in later how much today's battery took to recharge - it's charging now).

Here's a look from the outside....with the Maxx spinner I had on yesterday.

Update: TP 1300 pack took 1053 mAh to recharge after the 34 minute flight.
Last edited by BEC; Dec 20, 2003 at 10:49 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:48 PM
Helena, Montana, United States
Joined Sep 2003
356 Posts
BEC,
What is the weight difference between the two motor systems?
Aaron
iflych52 is offline Find More Posts by iflych52
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:30 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Aaron,

The airplane is just under half an ounce heavier with this setup over what it was before. This setup is about 0.2 ounce heavier than the EPS-300C and a Pixie-20P. All this assumes the same propeller on all three systems.

It's 9.4 ounces plus the battery with the AXI, so was at 12.4 today when I flew it.
Last edited by BEC; Dec 20, 2003 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 07:11 PM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
10t or 14t?
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Dec 20, 2003, 08:47 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
I'd be interested in your amp draw with the 10x7, to help with battery selection. Thanks!
MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Dec 20, 2003, 09:23 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Bernard, what controller are you using with the AXI?

BTW, just bought my first copy of Flying RC and it has your article on the Dandy plus the NEAT coverage. Very nice.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:45 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
av8rOC: 14T in 4.43:1 gears (as described in the article Norm refers to and many posts of mine in the various Dandy Sport threads). This airframe is a little heavier than the ones in that article as it is a newer one with 3/32 tail feathers and LG wire.

MKH: 9.5A, 4900 RPM, 95W in (tested with a 3s Kokam 1500 pack - the ET1200 or TP1300 may be a bit down from that).

Norm: Castle Creations Phoenix-10 micro. I've also static tested with a pre-production Jeti Advance 18-3P with pretty similar results.

Thanks for the thoughts on the articles. The Dandy piece was long in gestation (that photo of the two Dandies and the Switchback was taken at Chilliwack last May). The NEAT Fair thing was written mostly on the plane on the way back using this Mac laptop I'm on right now..... I didn't know Larry Eddy (who was supposed to cover NEAT for Fly RC) was injured until I called home from Las Vegas on the way to NY (had a plane change and layover there) and my wife told me Tom Atwood had called wondering if I could take my camera and cover on short notice. Fortunately I did have a camera with me......

What brings YOU to the Parkflyer formum, anyway ?
Last edited by BEC; Dec 20, 2003 at 10:52 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 07:45 AM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Thanks BEC Ive got a 14t in a GWS 3.2 to 1 gearbox I pull around with a 9x7 sf prop on my formosa. The setup is excellent for effeciency but I may have to try out one of these gearboxes, looks cool!
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:28 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,833 Posts
Re: 120W+ per lb.: OMG!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEC
[B] (trivia question: can anyone name the designer of the electric pylon racer by that name?)

Wasn't it "Ohm My Gosh"? I want to say Dick Sarpolus but the old gray matter is failing.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Dec 21, 2003 at 10:39 AM.