HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
i personally really like this forum, its almost entirely for builders, very few kits, and everyone seems to be in pursuit of "pure" wings and not speed demons
the flying wings forum is 75-80% foam kits and arfs, all variations of a combat wing.
here its more about flight performance and research rather than straight line performance
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
It does:
"nur" = only
"Flügel" = wing

... I'd never thought about that distinction before ...
Thank you. I couldn't find a literal translation of nurflugel either (Google was not very friendly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
I don't know if it's really technically correct because we do have wings in the flying wing forum without vertical surfaces (Assasin) and we do have wings in the Nurflugel forum with fairly large vertical surfaces.

The primary difference I see is the high aspect ratio wings which are typical here and low aspect ratio wings which are typical in the flying wing forum.

I guess one reason a separate flying wing forum was needed was because the builds of typical Nurflugels (the majority of which are balsa) could not be posted in the flying wing forum because it's under the foamies, electric category. Previously balsa wing builds were posted all over the place on RCG and you had to look hard to find them.

I'm not sure I speak for the majority or if it's only my feeling but when I voted for the creation of this forum it was because the flying wing forum is swamped with all the Zagis, Assasins, Widowmakers etc - short, stout, fast wings and any posting about high performance gliders or pure Hortens or other historical scale wings like the Dunne quickly sinks to page 3 within 24 hours. I wanted a forum about flying wings that wasn't all pusher jets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
i personally really like this forum, its almost entirely for builders, very few kits, and everyone seems to be in pursuit of "pure" wings and not speed demons
the flying wings forum is 75-80% foam kits and arfs, all variations of a combat wing.
here its more about flight performance and research rather than straight line performance
+1
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel