Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,931 Posts
Question
Balance leads on Turnigy 1800mAh 2S Lipo Rx Pack

Hi guys,

I had a question for this battery:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

It's advertised as a 2S 7.4v lipo pack with a JST-XH balance plug, which should mean a 3 pin balance plug. However, the photograph shows a balance plug with 4 pins.

Undeterred, I purchased a pack to see what was what. Sure enough, it has 4 pins as per the picture. At least the picture is accurate .

Now, I'm confused because I thought a 2S JST-XH balance plug should be 3 pins, not 4. I know other battery manufacturers have different schemes (e.g. thunderpower) but all my 2S turnigy packs with JST-XH balance plugs have been 3 pin plugs.

Any thoughts on how I should go about rewiring this? I want to hook the pins up to a voltmeter and see what's what, but I'm afraid I'll hook something up wrong and toast the battery. Not to mention the leads are so close to each other that I might short it accidentally.

UPDATE 11 JANUARY 2013

Please note. The Turnigy 1800mAh 2S 12C Lipo Receiver Pack (available at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28005) does not have its balance plugs wired correctly. It is not just that there are 4 wires for a 2S lipo; the entire plug is wired in the reverse order. Please see posts #9 and #10 for instructions to rectify.

Thanks to mrforsyth for letting me know what was up before anything untoward happened.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Last edited by rayonnair; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Updated info so it is up front
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:44 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,169 Posts
Make a 2 pin probe with .100" spacing from an old servo connector, balance plug, etc. and probe voltage of each cell via the balance connector with a DMM before proceeding.

Are there really 4 wires going into this connector? Curious indeed...

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:09 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,931 Posts
Thanks, that's a good idea for an adapter, I will see what I can scrounge up. Yup, it says 2S but it has a 4pin plug. Wires go into all 4 pins. PL6 complains when I plug it in with some kind of plug error. I'll update this thread when I get back home.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:16 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,931 Posts
Seems like the last two are in parallel. The pack does indeed appear to be a 2S pack. The attachment is what the voltmeter showed.

Does anyone know whether this matches any known balance lead schemes?

In any event I guess it's time to finagle an adapter together. Gah!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:33 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,169 Posts
Can you take a picture and post? The photo on the HK site is poor.

Specifically, need to know whether the two keying tabs are on the top or the bottom. From the photo in HK's site, they appear to be on the bottom. This will give you fits and they connector will need to be rewired. Will give more details on rewiring after you've posted a photo.

If the tabs are on the top, simply cut and remove the red wire and plug into the 3S slot on your JST-XH balance board and charge as 2S.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Man that is messed up. I'm with Mark, just remove the red wire and be done with it. Should be able to pop it out and cover it with shrink/tape and do a test charge.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:48 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,169 Posts
...but only if the keying tabs are on the top. Do not attempt to charge it if the keying tabs are on the bottom when the wires are oriented as depicted in the diagram in post #4. If they're on the bottom, it MUST be rewired prior to attempting to charge.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:07 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,931 Posts
Goodness. I didn't even consider that the whole assembly may have been the wrong way around!! Photos are attached.

Man, thanks so much guys.

Edit: I'm peering at it and I think you called it. The whole assembly is the wrong way around... right? I'm guessing I will have to poke them leads out with some jeweler's screwdrivers and fit them in the right way around without shorting anything...?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:42 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,169 Posts
Exactly as I suspected. Remove each wire from the housing, covering each terminal with tape immediately upon removal to prevent shorting. After removal, remove tape and reinsert one wire at a time opposite as shown in your photo and omit either the blue or red wire.

With tabs up and mating face pointing away from you, insert black wire in rightmost slot, followed by yellow, then either blue or red. The leftmost slot must remain empty.

I have some 2S housings if you would prefer one of these.

Verify proper voltage or post another photo before attempting to charge.

Good luck!

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:23 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,931 Posts
mrforsyth, thanks for your help. Re-wired everything and now it balances and discharges fine. The correct wiring is attached.

I'm going to try and post this info on HK, though I doubt it will last long.

This is pretty messed up. I'm really glad I asked.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:30 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,169 Posts
Nice work! Glad it worked out well for you!

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:50 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,931 Posts
I'm glad too!

I'm really wary about using the battery now, though. I should probably run it through its paces on the charger first. On ceramic tiles. Far away from anything combustible. Man!