HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
2nd plane question...

Hello all,
I have a quick question, What souls you guys recommend for a second plane? My first plane is a mini super cub. I used to be into RC cars for years quite a while ago, but I took to the little cub pretty easily. After my third time out with it I could do loops and some stall turns and smooth landings. In a month or so I'm planning on buying a new 2nd plane. The cub is high wing 3 channel with just enough power to climb pretty good but still leaves a good bit to be desired. So I think I want something thats 4ch, low set wing, a good bit more power and RTF or PNF, because I kinda wanna buy a new Tx for some future models but don't think I'm quite ready for a lot of building/assembling yet. I really like the look of something like the yak or similar. Something with a lot of control area and pretty sweet performance. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin. Aerobeast
Aerobeast77 is offline Find More Posts by Aerobeast77
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:32 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
I like Yaks and Sukhois too.
Since you are still kind of new at this you may want to get a foamy you can practice with.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

Then when you feel confident get a larger balsa model.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:15 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,766 Posts
Stay with something pretty much similar to what you have.

Get ailerons, and a semi symmetrical wing to learn how the model reacts with ailerons.

The semi-symmetrical airfoil flies faster, picks up speed quickly in dives, and will baptise you into the realm of "things happen quickly".

Stay with the high wing with some dihedral. Don't take a huge step into a low wing advanced aerobatic design yet.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:43 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,729 Posts
high wing 4ch trainer or if you really want to go low wing a t-28
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:36 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,454 Posts
A good high wing 4 channel second plane would be the Ares Gamma Pro. It flies pretty well and although it has virtually no dihedral in the wing, it flies very stable and can do aerobatics like inverted flight, and axial rolls. It will fly quite a bit faster than your mini super cub and the climb rate is pretty good. And yes, if you want a low wing trainer, then the Parkzone T-28 is just the ticket. It will be a lot more twitchy than the high wing trainers so be sure to set the dual rates on your new radio and fly it on "low" rates until you get used to its characteristics. However, the T-28 is twice as expensive as the Ares Gamma Pro which sells for $99.99 without a receiver. The YAK you like isn't a very good second plane after the mini Super Cub. It will be a good third plane after you master either of the two planes I mentioned.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:36 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,353 Posts
Another great 2nd plane would be a mini Ultra Stick from Horizon Hobbies. It performs great with a Park 480 motor. You can set it up with ailerons or ailerons and flaps. It will do any sport aerobatics and it's really easy to land.

Here are some pics of one that has literally been beaten to death and still flies.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Another great 2nd plane would be a mini Ultra Stick from Horizon Hobbies. It performs great with a Park 480 motor. You can set it up with ailerons or ailerons and flaps. It will do any sport aerobatics and it's really easy to land.

Here are some pics of one that has literally been beaten to death and still flies.
Love it Chuck. My MUS is starting to look lke that. Great plane.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:47 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
I'm with Chuck! I just got the mus and am still in the process of getting the correct motor and such. I had a maiden flight with the wrong motor/prop combo and still had a blast. You will all too soon understand the term " yank and bank " you'll never go back! I love this hobby.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:48 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
Wait... That's " bank and yank ", see I'm new too, lol, happy flying
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Thanks fellas,
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think I need to master ailerons on something a bit more docile than a full on 3d yak. Bank and yank means bank up sideways with ailerons then yank the elevator to make a tight banked turn right? Yes, that sounds like a lot of fun! What do you guys think about these planes that can have its wing installed high or low? Does that sound like something that would fit me or are they not worth the trouble?
Aerobeast77 is offline Find More Posts by Aerobeast77
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:04 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobeast77 View Post
Thanks fellas,
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think I need to master ailerons on something a bit more docile than a full on 3d yak. Bank and yank means bank up sideways with ailerons then yank the elevator to make a tight banked turn right? Yes, that sounds like a lot of fun! What do you guys think about these planes that can have its wing installed high or low? Does that sound like something that would fit me or are they not worth the trouble?
If you're referring to the Switch, I understand it's not a bad one to go with.

I'm with the others on the Mini Ultra Stick. It was my first balsa (2nd plane overall) and it's still one of my favorites. It can do pretty much anything you want and if you set the rates low, it can be very docile and a slow flier with no bad tendencies. Then you can throw a 480 and get unlimited vertical and increase the throws and it gets wild.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
Surprised no one mentioned the Parkzone T28.

Oops, just noticed that Chuck mentioned it.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:55 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
Surprised no one mentioned the Parkzone T28.

Oops, just noticed that Chuck mentioned it.
I think that would be your best bet as a second plane too. The MUS as a third....and down the rabit hole you go.
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:56 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
426 Posts
Try the crack yak, it's been a great 3d trainer for me. I've found it really easy to fly and quite addictive! So easy to repair as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578833
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:17 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobeast77 View Post
Thanks fellas,
Again... stick to a small step forward.

Get a high wing model with semi-symmetrical airfoil.
Learn how ailerons affect the model and the way non-flat bottom airfoils pick up speed rapidly.
(Believe it or not, this configuration has been around for decades and still represents what a lot of guys fly every weekend).
Keep building on success and don't risk taking a huge leap forward when you can do just as well with something you can handle.

Think of it this way.
You didn't get your learner's permit and then jump into a top-fuel car.
Trust me... things get fast in a hurry.
Learn essential flying skills now that will apply for the rest of your flying career.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen