SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Multirotor parachute tutorial

So a little while ago I created a parachute recovery system for my Quadcopter. It works so well that I've decided to make a quick tutorial on how to make one, It really is very simple.
Here's the tutorial:
Quadcopter parachute release tutorial (6 min 28 sec)

And here's it in action:
Quadcopter parachute release tutorial (6 min 28 sec)

Enjoy
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Dec 2009
68 Posts
very cool unialfred!

if i may make a suggestion, you might want to look at chutes with less shroud lines...

http://www.the-rocketman.com/chutes.html

more expensive, granted, but think about the equipment you're protecting

trust me, there's nothing more exciting than to see your chute deploy in a big knot and watch thousands of dollars worth of hardware falling to earth at terminal velocity

i used to use those chutes for UAV helicopters and they worked well - less shroud lines = less chance of entanglement

also, i'd think about rubber-banding your shroud lines together so they don't become tangled in the container from normal use/vibration before you deploy

this was my first test with a chute something like yours - later i changed to the rocketman chutes because of deployment failures and refined the system...

parachute recovery system - RC helicopter - heli view (0 min 41 sec)

parachute recovery system - rc helicopter - ground view (0 min 39 sec)
e.Man is offline Find More Posts by e.Man
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:22 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,401 Posts
look at this

vhttp://www.marsparachutes.com/
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:48 AM
Joined Dec 2009
68 Posts
pretty cool - nice and professional looking anyway
unfortunately, after you get done mounting that i don't think you'd have room to mount anything worth protecting doesn't look too light

what is very interesting to me though is how fast that chute is inflating - i could never do that using the packing method they are
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
look at this

vhttp://www.marsparachutes.com/
You might also want to look at the price tag :P $499, no thanks. I'll stick with my <$10 parachute system which works just fine
With eight lines it works just fine, Haven't had a single line tangle yet or mallfunction. I've even tested opening it while at different angles and fully inverted, It still opens just fine. The size is the only problem I have ,It weighs a little over 150 grams so isn't really much extra weight, especially if you were putting it on a hexa or something. I think If I had a smaller tupperware container I would be able to pack the parachute down smaller but then you run the risk of the chute getting wedged.
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Dec 2009
68 Posts
you could use phenolic or carbon tubing - both are light and readily available from the rocketry industry. this would allow you to pack the chute much tighter into a smaller space

the problem then becomes deployment - you could use a spring like they did (heavy), or a small explosive charge (FF black powder) and an electric match - that is what i did in the heli recovery test video. all this is very inexpensive. also take a look at different materials maybe and see if what you're using is the thinnest and lightest

i didn't realize their systems cost $500 clams - that is insane - you could build a replica for probably less than $50 using all off-the-shelf parts and probably less using the material you're using
Last edited by e.Man; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, MI
Joined Nov 2003
798 Posts
I have to agree $500 is a bit high for that system
Hamanu is offline Find More Posts by Hamanu
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:12 PM
CrashMaster
United Kingdom, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamanu View Post
I have to agree $500 is a bit high for that system
For that price I would expect a fanfare and some fireworks on deployment and a waiting group of firemen to catch my copter should disaster strike.... I like the $10 version.
HuttonIt is offline Find More Posts by HuttonIt
Old Sep 30, 2014, 03:19 AM
Joined Jul 2014
17 Posts
Very nicely done mate!! For a 10bucks!!
AhLee is offline Find More Posts by AhLee