HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

RC Vinyl Designs by Alan M Mostek: a Mini Review

I am doing a review of the new, Proud Bird. It comes in all white, but never fear! Alan M. Mostek Designs will make my Proud Bird a Show Bird with vinyl decals.

Splash

Introduction

I am doing a review of the new Great Planes EF1 Racer: The Proud Bird. In the process of accepting this review I agreed to bring the plane to Arizona for demonstration flying at the Arizona Electric Festival. That meant showing off the plane to up 200 pilots and possibly hundreds of spectators. I had seen the picture of the plane, and she looked very nice but I hadn't read the small print about how the plane comes all white for each pilot to individually decorate. That is a great idea, and one I fully endorse, but the Festival was less then a month a way. I was thinking about using general decals and stickers, and while some look good, I had a whole plane needing decoration and an easy way to tell top from bottom at a distance at 100 miles per hour. I decided to ask my friend Dan who would be sharing flight time with me, and fortunately he had a great thought! He put me in touch with a fellow RCGroups member, FASTALJR (pronounced: Fast Al Junior). He is obviously very shy, as his full description is: "The Man Myth & Legend; The One, The Only, Fast Al Junior."

My Proud Bird Project

Alan was already familiar with the Proud Bird and had the measurements and was making custom decals for Dan and for his own Proud Bird. We discussed what I was looking for in a couple of e-mails, and he sent me a PDF file with what he proposed for my plane. I liked it, and he quickly made the decals and mailed them to me.

The product arrived ready to attach to the plane. The decals come at the center of a protective package. To install I simply had to peel off the protective backing and center the decal. Then I lowered the decal to the plane part and started to attach it. I missed my location a couple of times, and I was able to pull the vinyl decal up off of the plane and start the alignment process over. When properly positioned it is a simple process to slowly lay the decal onto the plane part and carefully and smoothly apply it. Once in place I rubbed over the decal a bit harder, and then I pulled off the protective front transparent cover. This allowed me to install all three stars on each side of the bottom of the wing at one time in a straight line. The wing tips had some extra material to allow for coverage around the wing tip. The installation was quick and easy and the end result looked terrific. My all white Proud Bird became a real Show Bird thanks to Alan.

Installing the Decals

The Installed Decals

Photo Gallery: The Proud Bird in Flight

Contact Information and Product

Alan lives in Cohoes, New York. You can check out his website at: alanmmostekdesigns.weebly.com or you can call him at: (518) 488-7006 or e-mail him at: preventerwind@msn.com.

Obviously he makes vinyl decals and does an excellent job but he makes a lot more including: magnets, vehicle lettering, Aluminum signs, Wood signs, Coroplast signs, Plexi glass signs, Custom designed logos and Graphic design.

In addition to the decals for the Proud Bird I have ordered some decals for my son's new computer company: Trifacta. Trifacta is designed to help companies handle massive amounts of data and make sense of it. I will post pictures of the two decals I have ordered when they arrive. The pictures will be posted below in a message.

Conclusion

If you have a Proud Bird and are looking for a custom set of decals then Alan is your go-to man. He already has the measurements for the plane. But he can do so much more than that. My friend Dan Landis has been using him for years to decorate his competition planes and gives him his highest rating. So whether you are making a custom warbird and need some special decals or for any hobby project, I recommend you save the contact information above and give Alan a call or e-mail and check out his Website.

Last edited by Angela H; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:00 AM..

Discussion

Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:15 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Michael,

Funny that you put Jack's head as the pilot....

Did any of the decals come loose after flying the plane and is there a projected life expectancy for the decals?

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:02 PM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jan 2006
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto View Post
Michael,

Funny that you put Jack's head as the pilot....

Did any of the decals come loose after flying the plane and is there a projected life expectancy for the decals?

John
Funny that you have a Wicked Wing as your avatar, as Al has one of those too!! I've seen his planes for the past 10 years and haven't seen any of his decals come off unless he crashes (not often).
sawatt is offline Find More Posts by sawatt
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:53 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,358 Posts
None have come off even going 100 mph. However I wore off a spot of color where the wing rubbed on wood driving from Stockton to Apache Junction (700 miles one way). I will need to be more careful in the future for all of my planes as that travel vibration can damage parts. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:22 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,690 Posts
He also does amazing airbrush paint for hire. Here's some of his work from the FG foamy awesome paint forum.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,506 Posts
Al did our club banners.... Hand delivered them to boot!!!!!
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:48 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
So what's a ballpark cost of this decal package..?

I could find no referance on the website to this decal package.

Some hint of cost should be included in any review...don't keep it a secret.

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:39 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Michael and Sawatt,

Thank you for the information. His products do look nice.

Wicked wings is only one of the many products I have purchased from Dave. Love his little plane designs. I think I still have four of his kits not built yet.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:40 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Dec 2011
64 Posts
I have been getting decals from Al for years and they are all holding up great! Last years pattern plane has close to 500 flights at speeds over 100 mph and no issues. No fading of colors or anything like that. He is a great guy to work with and will make anything you want. If you can think it he can do it.

Mike, thanks again for letting me fly your Proud Bird in Arizona!!

Dan
DanLandis is offline Find More Posts by DanLandis
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:35 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,543 Posts
Sorry guys, been literally behind the 8 ball this weekend! Thanks for the Mini Review Mike, the Proud Bird looks awesome and you did one heck of a job applying the decals, and it looks like as usual Dan had way toooooo much fun flying it!!! LOL

The proud bird package starts at $50.00 and can range depending on what your looking to do. Mikes Proud Bird is entirely print vinyl, however the holographic number and Futaba`s are printed on Holographic vinyl. The air release print vinyl I use is nice due to the fact that most anyone can apply is smooth, with very few bubbles!

You can contact me at my buisness E-mail address: alanmmostekdesigns@gmail.com

OR

My home address: preventerwind@msn.com

my e-mail is my best contact at this point however my phone is always on!!!
518-488-7006

Feel free to pm me as well! I`m always checking my mail!!!!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:36 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,543 Posts
Yes it is irony that you have the wicked wing avatar, considering I am a wicked wing junkie!!! 2 and counting, both 3 cell monsters!!!!!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,543 Posts
In most cases the decals will usually outlast the airplane!!!

I`m also in the process of revamping alot of the pages on my site, just a slow and tedious process!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:13 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,543 Posts
Decided to revamp the entire website!!! Still working on updating the store, as my shoppiong cart software decided it didnt like me anymore!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:30 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Beacon Adhesives and Foam-Tac

Hi Alan,

My Name is Eric and I am the account exec for Beacon adhesives the makers of Foam-Tac and many other adhesive products. I just wanted to thank you for the amazing job you did providing the signs we now use for our show displays. I also have to let you know that many people inquired as to where we got the signs from, because they were so impressed with the quality of your work. I will also be calling to place another order with you for some more signs that we need for the up coming Toledo Weak Signals trade show. If you could please PM me your phone # so that I may call you to discuss the signs we need. I have also seen the the work you did for the Greenwood lake event and WOW!!! awesome graphics, really nice work.
Thanks
Eric
The Deacon of Beacon
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:33 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,506 Posts
Al...post the graphics for the Greenwood Lake Silent Fliers
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E