HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by askman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:37 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Discussion
little details and optimizing for success

Happy New year everyone.

It has been almost a year since I've restarted building selling camera gimbals and now multicopter AP specific frames. it has been good run and we have made lot of progress. We have been very open in our development work and we are continually making improvement to make our products the best it can be.

As we get better result, we've always want bit more performance. It seems like never ending push for performance.

Key to Performances:

1) Use proven system and camera. Unless you are into fiddling and testing different stuff, you can save lot of head ache and issues with using proven setup. This goes for camera, gimbal/controller and multicopter. (as well as props and motors) use multicopter specific esc if you can, as it will help give extra stability.

2) vibration control, vibration control, vibration control. I cannot stress this enough. Especially if you are using camera that is more susceptible to vibration. Early CMOS cameras are really bad for rolling shutter and jello issues.

3) Practice, Practice, Practice. whether it is flying, taking picture or editing, you need so many skills for success that practice is paramount.

4) pick a right tool for the job and practice safe flight rules. sometimes small quad with gopro may be better tool than full rig. Use good common sense.

Now, I will talk a bit about setup. since most of us use DJI controllers, I will start flight controller.

Flight controller has become much better over the last year. DJI has led the way with affordable controller that perform reliably But there are some limitations that we need to keep in mind.. I know people loves GPS mode, and they love to rely upon it, but I really ask people to learn to fly in both Atti mode and Gyro only mode until they are comfortable flying in those mode.

The big downside to GPS mode and to lesser extent atti mode is that they can cause tiny oscillation, especially in faster forward flight. We can minimize this with lower atti gain, and my setup uss 40 atti gain, which is the minimum level you can set naza to. we've had lot of success with low att gain and high normal gain in most of our AP flight that happens in slower speed. This allows pretty good smooth flying upto about 10-15mph speed. at higher speed, you will start to see some shakes. Some of this is platform related, but lot of it is from controller.

We will talk a bit here about multicopter itself. If you want faster flight, you need to fly in normal mode and pick a platform that can perform in faster flight. We recommend coaxial type of multicopter. Y6 and x8 will allow you more stable flight at higher speed. Combined with good rigid props will give you the best performance. You can also go with smaller prop and run it at higher rpm to reduce disk load even more. For fastest flight, you may even have to turn off the gimbal . Higher acceleration movement can mess with the gimbal control There is a place for fixed gimbal multi. and fast FPV flight is one of them. This is a reason why you need multiple tools in your arsenal. simple FPV multi with gopro can do things that stabilized full setup cannot do. this is why we are also working on tilt only gopro setup for compact rig.

We hope that you have jello free year and keep flying.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2012
16 Posts
Hi, I have a QAV500 H configuration with NAZA setup and it is working great. There are still some things I'm learning about it and getting better with practice and a couple lessons from crashes and one flyaway...another story. But I'm in the process of setting up my FPV rig for a couple events this coming spring that I have been asked to film.
Learning to fly the Quad is very important, descending with a quad takes some practice with the prop wash. I ordered a GoPro Gimbal that is coming in tomorrow that may help with a more stable video But practicing slow smooth movements is still the key. Thanks for your post..

Bobby
Bobby_C is offline Find More Posts by Bobby_C
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:10 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
good pilot and good editor can make a large difference in how the results come out. like any skills, you need to preplan your shots for best effect, and that only comes from practice. learning the limitations of the gear is part of that.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member