HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,082 Posts
Discussion
Where to buy good quality rubber bands?

I am not sure why long lasting rubber bands are so hard to get. I have had problems with PZ rubber bands on slo-v and now with iCanFly.

The generic rubber bands don't last very long, crack easily and can be very unreliable.
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,197 Posts
I get mine from Office Depot and they seem to last quite well.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,747 Posts
I use the PZ rubberbands on my Super Cub and Ares Gamma 370 Pro. I change them out every 3rd trip to the field. At .99 cents a bag for 6 bands, I just buy a few bags at a time.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
Office Max for me, just because they are close to where I live.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:58 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,047 Posts
Those bands you get at the local stationary store (Staples, Office Max, etc.) are usually very poor quality. It is hard to beat Sig Products which are usually available at most hobby shops:very superior to those from the office supply sources.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:19 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,261 Posts
I buy "Ben Buckle" wing bands of Ebay .... which are same as I used back in 1980's and they laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast and laaaaaaaaaaaaaaast !

I have bands over a year old and STILL in tip-top condition. You may pay a bit more - but life of them is so long that price per life is amazing value. AND that's with fuel planes as well.

Ben Buckle ... a famous name in Model Flying for generations.....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ben-Buckles...p2047675.l2563

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:23 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
#64's from office supply stores or from a LHS, they are around $4 a box. Change them often and you won't have issues.

Rubber bands degrade they tend not to handle uv well this may be part of the reason you are having little to no luck with them.

Also don't leave them on a plane for an extended period of time. If they are stretched out in their application they will lose their resilience and not hold as well when needed.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:37 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,261 Posts
For those swaaping out bands every 2 - 3 sessions ... I can only say the bands used must be rubbish !

I've been model flying for over 40yrs and never changed out bands that often ... but then of course I use bands designed for the job ...

UV is only an issue if you leave out in the sun ... given that we usually stow our models away inside a shed / garage / room ... and the bands in our flight box etc. - the only UV they get is when actually on the flight line.
Use of proper bands such as I use are much more UV resistant anyway ... the problem with 'Office stores' bands are most are not real rubber but compounds just not designed or intended for this sort of work.... and certainly not for outdoor use.

A good example is my Skymaster Bipe ... the tail wheel is connected to rudder by a rubber band. If I use 'Office stores' bands .... I have to change so often ... it's ridiculous But if I use a small Ben Buckle band ... theh it's there for months in fact a whole seasons use.... and she's a gasoline powered model. So much for the cheap easy to buy 'Office stores' bands.

Nigel
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:22 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,826 Posts
I always buy a big bag of 64's from Staples and never have a problem... I use a new set every flying session and put the used ones in another bag, when I run out I just use them again. With nitro planes I wash the used bands with dish soap to get the oil off and bingo bango! they're like new. I find that I only ever have to buy rubber bands once a year, and for $2 per bag, I cannot be convinced that I need "high quality" rubber.

I also use the 2 bands + 2 per lb rule however, so a 5 lb trainer gets 12 rubber bands... plenty of redundancy if one happens to snap.

Also, when I put the used ones back into service, I pull them about 14 inches to make sure they don't snap... you always find a few.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
428 Posts
Whatever you do, stay away from bands from Harbor Freight. I bought a bag of them, just for general utility, not for flying. I did use them to assemble a sailplane, just so I could put it up on the rack, about seven feet off the floor. It wasn't very long before I came out to the garage to find the fuselage on the floor and the stab and rudder in many little pieces. The wing and remains of the bands were still on the rack. I now need a whole new tail, which isn't that big of a thing to build, but rather frustrating. That whole bag of bands went to the wife for doing stationary stuff. Can't do much damage there.
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:25 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
I always buy a big bag of 64's from Staples and never have a problem... I use a new set every flying session and put the used ones in another bag, when I run out I just use them again. With nitro planes I wash the used bands with dish soap to get the oil off and bingo bango! they're like new. I find that I only ever have to buy rubber bands once a year, and for $2 per bag, I cannot be convinced that I need "high quality" rubber.

I also use the 2 bands + 2 per lb rule however, so a 5 lb trainer gets 12 rubber bands... plenty of redundancy if one happens to snap.

Also, when I put the used ones back into service, I pull them about 14 inches to make sure they don't snap... you always find a few.
After washing or use (clean of course !) ... throw a little talcum powder or Chalk dust in the bag as well ... takes up any moisture and stops that sticky band you get when bands are wrapped up in plastic bags ...

Nigel
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:10 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
After washing or use (clean of course !) ... throw a little talcum powder or Chalk dust in the bag as well ... takes up any moisture and stops that sticky band you get when bands are wrapped up in plastic bags ...

Nigel
Excellent suggestion. It's been a few years since any of my fuel planes have been off the ground but I'm hoping this year is the year I get them running again.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:58 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Staples
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:01 PM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
747 Posts
The rubber powered free flight airplane guys know where the real rubber bands are.
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:05 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
Glow fuel slim is harsh on rubber bands. Oh wait never mind
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Last edited by azflyingguy; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:24 PM.