SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Discussion
Gmade R1 - Brushed or brushless?

Hey all,

Gonna order a Gmade R1 kit and was wondering about peoples thoughts of brushed vs. brushless for this buggy. My LHS said to go brushed with a Ni-cd battery. Online it seems most people are running brushless with Lipo. I am looking at a Traxxass XL-5 ESC and Axial 27t motor. I would rather go brushless but the guy at LHS said I would not get enough torque with brushless. I would love to have the speed and upkeep of brushless not to mention the water resistance. This is not for any competition, just fun. But still want it to be capable.

Is there an advantage to brushed over brushless not counting the price? Would rather do it right the first time.

I plan on doing crawling but want to bash around as well on some awesome dirt and rock trails near my house.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.
phishintodd is offline Find More Posts by phishintodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Come on people. 30 views in an hour and no replies. ( Help a brother out here... )
phishintodd is offline Find More Posts by phishintodd
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:53 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
brushless and lipo if not going to do all out comp crawling have seen a few on the tube .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=piHu5GE6D90
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:17 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
I honestly don't think it matters brushed, brushless in a crawler. I ran stock Honcho and it was great. I put an ezyrun 21.5 system in it and ran 3s and that's tops too. It is a sensored system with cable from motor to esc.
It has gobbs of torque and near unstoppable.
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:54 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
if your going to go brushless and want any crawling ability at all your gonna have to run a sensored brushless system. now you mentioned water, so if you go sensored you will have to do some work to waterproof the sensor ring in the motor. also depending on which traxxas xl5 esc you have brushless may not be an option as some are brushed only, some are brushless.

i would suggest going lipo battery either way you want to go. nicads are a thing of the past.

brushless is pretty good but doesn't have the low speed resolution (control) that a good brushed motor has. if your gonna get intor crawling brushed is the way to go. for what you state your after tho, i would go sensored brushless. look at some videos and do some reading on how to remove and waterproof the sensor ring in the motor and you should be good to go.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:38 PM
oh that guy
United States, SC, Clover
Joined Sep 2012
265 Posts
Look in to brushless outrunner motors. They are ment for aircraft but are low rev and high torq motors. I think the guys running them are running1000kv or so.
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance