HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:05 PM
Philippines, NCR, Quezon City
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Discussion
Do you need separate battery for your LED lights?!

Hi!

I run my hexcopter with 3s. My LED lights requires 12v. I only have 2 strips (around 25- 30 LEDs). I'm worrying if i will get lower flight time when i run this using the same battery pack. I know that LEDs have very low wattage.. so i'm not sure if i will notice the difference.

Need help! Thanks!
DYORD is offline Find More Posts by DYORD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:05 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYORD View Post
Hi!

I run my hexcopter with 3s. My LED lights requires 12v. I only have 2 strips (around 25- 30 LEDs). I'm worrying if i will get lower flight time when i run this using the same battery pack. I know that LEDs have very low wattage.. so i'm not sure if i will notice the difference.

Need help! Thanks!
Even assuming they are about 0.2 W each (which is REALLY bright, probably more than 5x how bright they actually are), you'd only be using about 6W total, which likely won't make more than a 1 or 2% change in battery life.
sodaant is offline Find More Posts by sodaant
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:15 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Hi!

Need help! Thanks!
I tested mine - nearly 2m of LED ribbon. Consumed 13mA.h of charge per minute, about 5% of what the motors consume.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:49 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
I tested mine - nearly 2m of LED ribbon. Consumed 13mA.h of charge per minute, about 5% of what the motors consume.
If the calculations I just did in my head are right, that's around 9 watts or so of power, which would be around 4.5W per meter. Not quite sure how many they put per meter, but for my estimates to be correct, that's around one ever 4cm (which isn't really that much when I think about it). Still, how bright are those LEDs? Because a thing of LED strips that bright could almost be used as a flashlight.
sodaant is offline Find More Posts by sodaant
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:04 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaant View Post
If the calculations I just did in my head are right, that's around 9 watts or so of power, which would be around 4.5W per meter. Not quite sure how many they put per meter, but for my estimates to be correct, that's around one ever 4cm (which isn't really that much when I think about it). Still, how bright are those LEDs? Because a thing of LED strips that bright could almost be used as a flashlight.
They aren't the super bright LEDS.

I also bought 2 (1 red, 1 white) very bright LED flashers from the local bike store. They are designed to strap on to handlebars or seat pillars (thin silicone rubber straps). Very light, include switch and long life battery, mount easily to the bottom plate. Can see them from long way off.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Thanks.... I only have two 5" strips for the front arms. Now I'm thinking of putting some more if that won't cost me 1min. of my flight time.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:13 AM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jan 2013
205 Posts
Anyone have details on how to wire the LED Flasher?
Ive seen notes that you have to add a resistor and a NPN transistor, but the details on what type of resistor and transistor plus the configuration of the wiring has me confused (what leads plug where).
In-Flight is offline Find More Posts by In-Flight
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
I bought 12volt led strips from a motorcycle shop nearby. As long as you use 3s (12.6v when fully charged) battery, you can solder it parallel to the battery.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:29 AM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jan 2013
205 Posts
Quote:
I bought 12volt led strips from a motorcycle shop nearby. As long as you use 3s (12.6v when fully charged) battery, you can solder it parallel to the battery.
Yeah, I that's the easy way, but I would like to be able to toggle on and off via TX. I understand the code, just not the proper connections. It's not very well documented.
In-Flight is offline Find More Posts by In-Flight