HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:52 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Apr 2011
34 Posts
Discussion
Point me in the right general direction?

Many moons ago (Almost 20 years.....) I flew and enjoyed the heck out of RC gliders, I am seriously considering getting back into them however this time around having a family I do not have the free time to build a kit. The area I live is more likely to give me access to ridges for slope soaring than large fields for thermaling. I am wondering if there is such a thing as a gentle slope soaring glider (ARF Type) that could also be used for thermal flight (I know the best of both worlds won't be in one package) I am just looking for a nudge in the right direction(= Also if it matters I have a Spektrum DX7 radio already from a not so successful flirtation with micro helicopters.........

Thanks!
ChrisMX105 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisMX105
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:43 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
For a re-introduction, and if you have time for some assembly, maybe this http://arthobby.com/index.php?page=i...ry=32&item=384 would be a good choice? See also similar Arthobby planes. They are a good value for the quality and performance they offer.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:07 PM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
608 Posts
Get a 2 meter Tower Hobbies Vista.
$100. Small enough to slope off small slopes yet thermals great.
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:08 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,896 Posts
The Multiplex EasyGlider, or the Radian will both get you out there flying in no time. They are even available ready-to-fly I think.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:21 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,207 Posts
Welcome back to RC gliders !

yep - +1 for the Multiplex EasyGlider

and if you need any help with slope flying - just ask over on the slope forum - very friendly helpful bunch of folks (ok, bit mad really, but that goes with the "territory")

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,666 Posts
PASSER FROM R2 HOBBIES!!!!

yes, that was shouting. Fabulous flying from light wind slope, to high wind slope, to thermalling off a high start...for $82 pre-built!!
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:08 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
no brainer...imho

Standard 3ch Radian or if you intend to fly a fair amount of slopes, the 'full-house' Radian Pro Plug-n-play versions(i.e. cheaper than BnF). You are already set up to fly asap with your existing Tx/RX..

regardless of model chosen welcome back and have fun, js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:24 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Apr 2011
34 Posts
The Passer-Xlooks interesting however I am curious as to parts availability and lead time when the high airspeed/ground interface occurs............. I see nothing on the website for replacement parts or cost.

Radian Pro looks nice, I like the idea of being self launching(=
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,666 Posts
There's a saying..."The more a plane is beefed up, the more it fly like a cow".

The Passer is very light weight, and thus has less inertia when it hits, and thus less damage. I've given mine quite a few hard knocks and it just bounces.

I aslo have a Passer X that's been in my closet awhile and finally ordered a motor for it. (I figured with one in the closet, the first one would never crash, hehe).

I also came back into the hobby less than a year ago after a good nearly-20-years away (1995-ish), and I too no longer have time to build...however, those old skills you have still lurking in your head of the old balsa days can get you going after minor mishaps. And if you shatter the thing, a replacement plane is only $82! Both ordered I place at R2 Hobbies barely took 4 days to get!

I started out with the Radian Pro upon returning to flying, as well.
I hated it. The flexing foam made it fly wierd...the drag of the thing was terrible and so much energy gets lost and it takes forever to cross the sky...It flew terribly in winds over 5mph...It was twice the money of the Passer...can you tell what I'm thinking?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,666 Posts
oh yeah...what is your past history/experience of flying? Could be you can jump right into a full house bird and not need to start with rudder/elevator.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Apr 2011
34 Posts
I started with 4 channel trainers in my early teens but moved to a Wanderer after a year or 2 because I could fly at a massive park right up the street from home. Got fairly comfortable with it until puberty showed up and "Distracted" me. I would definitely like to go with a 3-4 channel bird and the prospect of electric launch is quite enticing, I understand the tradeoff in weight however not having to deal with an external launching mechanism would be nice. DLG looks neat but I am semi-gimped so hoofing around for a Hi-start or cushioning a dirt-nap with a shiny glider while attempting to DLG doesn't seem too appealing.
Interesting thought on the foam glider, Hadn't really thought of mushiness...........
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,666 Posts
The reason I ask is that the basic flying skills are already there, and won't take long to "wake up". Therefore, something along the lines of a Radian may not be the best choice, especially to other choices available.

FWIW, I am recommending a Radian (Or perhaps a rudder/elevator, pusher-prop foamy for even more durability) for my friend asking about getting his kid into the hobby.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:50 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
Standard 3ch Radian or if you intend to fly a fair amount of slopes, the 'full-house' Radian Pro Plug-n-play versions(i.e. cheaper than BnF). You are already set up to fly asap with your existing Tx/RX..

regardless of model chosen welcome back and have fun, js
+1

You will even be able to fly contests with it in ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring) if you want.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:41 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
I started with 4 channel trainers in my early teens but moved to a Wanderer after a year or 2 because I could fly at a massive park right up the street from home. Got fairly comfortable with it until puberty showed up and "Distracted" me. I would definitely like to go with a 3-4 channel bird and the prospect of electric launch is quite enticing, I understand the tradeoff in weight however not having to deal with an external launching mechanism would be nice. DLG looks neat but I am semi-gimped so hoofing around for a Hi-start or cushioning a dirt-nap with a shiny glider while attempting to DLG doesn't seem too appealing.
Interesting thought on the foam glider, Hadn't really thought of mushiness...........
The weight penalties of old, for electric sailplanes, is all but gone. Today's modern brushless motors and lithium batteries are so light that an electric launched glider can be close to the weight of a pure glider. So there really is little or no weigth penalty for electric launch.

You seem concerned about parts and the lack of time to build or repair, so foam is a good path. Again, today's foam planes are a world apart from the foam gliders you might have experienced 20 years ago.

The Radian Pro would be an excellent choice as a mild mannered full house slope glider as well as a thermal glider. There is a bind and fly package that would just bind to your radio. It includes EVERYTHING you need except the radio, and you already have that.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ro-bnf-PKZ5480

And Horizon Hobby has already worked out the set-up for a DX7. You can find it here:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/Radi..._DX7_setup.pdf

There are a LOT of options out there and they all have their plusses and minuses but based on your post, your limited time and your radio, the Radian Pro would be my recommendation for you.

And, HH has a wealth of spare parts available. Not that you will likely need them. The ZFoam construction is very very resiliant and very very repairable. Unlikely you will need spares.

If you are flying slope, one battery will likely last you all day, and that one is included. If you are going to fly thermal, you should get a second battery. Fly one while you charge the other from the car battery. With a little practice you should get at least an hour out of each battery pack when thermal soaring.

Other than a second battery, the only accesory you might want, and you can do this later, would be a ballast rod. For windy days you simply slip a steel rod into the wing rod of the Radian Pro and it adds weight to make the glider penetrate in the wind. If you get a glider and want more advice on ballast, just ask.

Let me make one thing clear, the use of ballast is completely optional when flying gliders. It is a way to make the glider more wind worthy, but it does not replace pilot skills and good judgment. If you are not ready for windy conditions, ballast is not going to make you a better pilot. It will give you a faster glide which can be very desireable on the slope. And ballast may let you thermal soar on days that would otherwise seem too windy.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:31 AM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
181 Posts
Well ... were to start.. flying gliders is like the wind it changes so fast. I started with the sophisticated lady 3ch (slow & sexy) I cut the nose added a 2836 1120kv motor 10x6 prop & 30a ESC & 3s 1300 lipo 50c shes over 7 years old now and a dream to fly, BUT it is made of wood so if you crash

And yes the Standard 3ch Radian flys better than the pro the AF. is different most peple use the Standard Radian for A.L.E.S.,As well it is made of EPO foam will help on hard landings.

As for 4ch gliders the hobbyking bixler And the hobbyking floater are small fun gliders/planes. But the Passer x yes that is a nice glider Smoooth as well as the hobbyking specter 1800 same as passer X All gliders are good for slope and thermaling.

AS for slope...... Start with the dream flight alula slow wind speed wow Fro higher wind the dreamflight weasel is a BLAST 2X WOW both are EPO or R2hobbies speedo Yha :}

AND THEN DLG I,m new @ this But a good 1.5M DLG 3X WOW
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360