SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by nese, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Build Log
My HK-500TT FBL - Ideal for my sports flying

(Photos added 24 Jan 13)

I'd bought the the HK-500TT FBL some time in Oct-Nov before any reviews and got it set up in December. For me a 500 size heli made perfect sense for me:

- Smallest of the 'large' helis (stores comfortably in my apartment)
- Relatively inexpensive
- Decent clone parts such as Tarot for this size are plentiful, making them quite cheap to maintain
- I can series the 3s lipos that I use on my 450 helis to double up for use in the 500 so I can keep fewer 6s packs.

Also what appealed to me was that the heli had features that were half way towards the 500 pro model:

- Tail servo mounts on one of the carbon fibre side plates of the main chasis (but this currently means that the only spares I will be able to buy for the CF side plates and the tail push rod would have to be from Align as to date HK has not made these different parts available.

- Tapered tail blade grips

- Stronger looking pro-like tail gearbox

I'd gone on to change a few components for aesthetic reasons while keeping the flying mechanicals the same. The parts changed were:

- Canopy (to Turnigy white, red, black)
- Main blades (to white, red, black)
- Skids (to single piece white)
- Tail blades (to white)

(Note: Some modifications were made on the canopy, canopy spacers and skidsto accomodate the 'pro' edition parts)

The electric components I'd used were:
- Servos: HK-752 x 3
- Tail: S9257 clone
- FBL system: CX-3X1000
- Motor: Turnigy Typhoon 500H
- ESC: YEP 80A
- Tx-Rx: Walkera Devo12 w RX-801

Lately I'd gone back and read the poor 2-star reviews on this heli. This wasn't very encouraging but having built it up with no problems on the mechanicals so far I'd say it's suitable for simple sport flying and it's one of my favourite helis to fly. I've not flipped my heli yet, but I think it'd easily be up to the task.

I've made a simple video and put it on youtube:
"Mr.Red500" Flybarless T-Rex 500 Clone, HK-500TT FBL (7 min 28 sec)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
My record of the review I left on HK where I bought the kit:

As a sport flyer with just over 2 years of learning how to fly on the weekends the heli built on this HK500TT FBL kit is now my favourite 500 sized heli that I've named "MrRed500". I wrote briefly about it in a short blog on rcgroups under my username 'nese' with a short video on youtube (search "MrRed500")

Cosmetically the heli arrives the standard dowdy HK package, with the flimsy and crack-able (mine arrived cracked) canopy that HK helis of this size and larger are notorious for, hence the 4 crowns for quality. Otherwise with a bit of tape on the canopy and all the parts that came with the kit were generally usable to get it up in the air.

The parts I put aside purely for cosmetic reasons were the canopy, main and tail blades and skids, going for a white and red theme instead. With a little trimming the trex-500 pro canopy from HK (or any other canopy one likes) improves the look of this heli drastically and allows larger sized batteries to be used as well.

I've read some discussions about vibrations on this kit, but so far the vibrations on the heli are mild and insignificant to the cx-3x1000 flybarless gyro I'm using allowing it to function perfectly. Having said this, I did straighten the torque-tube which arrived slightly bent. Roll it on a glass sheet to check for straightness and all is good with the stock front and rear set of cone gears in their assemblies.

Otherwise the head and tail cnc units were very decent in cut and design (different from the square cut style of the CNC bits on the GT) and surprisingly well centered and balanced on the supplied shafts/assemblies that they came with.

Most screws and balls on the head and swash were sufficiently thread-locked so the only part I added Loctite to was the screws that go into the feathering shaft holding the main blade holders together.

The main gear/auto-rotation gear/one-way bearing assembly, although not perfect (concentric geometry of main gear in particular) was still in my opinion very good so I've had probably about a dozen flights or so using it reliably.

Main bearings on cnc mounts sat well in the frame allowing the main shaft to slide through smoothly. This speaks for the accuracy of cut on the frame in relation to the main shaft bearing mounts. One of the most attractive features of this frame is the design which allows the tail servo to be mounted on to it, following the just like the Align 500 pro frame, minus the composite reinforcement bits. Otherwise the only blemish on the frame were slight cosmetic imperfections (some patches less glossy or marked), but only noticeable when inspected closely.

Down the boom to the gearbox, Loctite was needed on all the screws as there was probably none, particularly those on holding the sides of the gearbox together. I noted that the screws holding the side plates of the tail gearbox together were probably 0.5-1mm too long and so if forced tightened would just break through the concaved faces (top and bottom) of the torque tube cone gear holder - point for improvement for HK

Overall it fulfills this sport flyer's requirement of a stable 500 sized heli and am quite confident it will survive to the day I start some mild 3D on it.
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Last edited by nese; Jan 24, 2013 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Add content
to remove ads between posts