HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:30 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,075 Posts
Help!
Lightweight Fabric Covering

I have an old 1/4 scale Balsa USA Aeronca C3 that I built about 10 years ago and never covered. I had planned to use a Saito 90 twin on it with Coverite painted fabric, but that covering weighs a ton. Since I have decided to electric power it I need a lightweight scale looking fabric covering material to keep the weight down. The airframe with servos installed weigh 5 lbs. Motor and esc another 1 1/2 lbs. Could anyone recommend a nice scale looking fabric that is currently available. Since going electric I have been out of the loop for stuff like this because most of my models now are the 50" range parkflyer type. Thanks in advance, Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:47 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,289 Posts
SIG Koverall
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:02 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,075 Posts
Prefer something pre-colored and iron on. My painting skills stink. Thanks, tom
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,785 Posts
How about Solartex for a more matt/satin finish and Glosstex for a shinny finish ?

It's a little on the heavy side, but goes round compound curves nice, and does show the textured finish.

The Majestic Major was 88" span.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:59 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
I think that the terms "Light Weight" and "Scale Fabric Covering" are mutually exclusive. By nature, a woven fabric pre-coloured covering will be thicker and heavier than other coverings. I have used white polyester dress lining material before to cover a 1/4 scale Cub, and it worked very well. Maybe head to the fabric store and see if you can find some that is already dyed. You'll need to attach it with Stix-it or something similar and then clear coat it with dope. Other than that, I think Solartex or Coverite 21st Century fabric are about your only options if you don't want to paint.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:06 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
I know that this is heresy, but you could use regular iron on film and maybe give it a coat of clear satin to reduce the gloss. I like the look of fabric on a model airplane, but in reality, if you were to walk up to a full scale plane you would be hard pressed to notice the weave of the cloth. In most cases, the weave cannot be seen....

I have used solartex in the past and it is very easy to work with. I know that it is not very light, but generally speaking, larger models are less sensitive to weight. A few issues back, Flying Scale models featured the C3 and it had quite a few close up photos of the real plane. If you can get ahold of a copy, it might be worthwhile.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:24 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,075 Posts
I know I am probably searching for the holy grail in wanting scale looks and light weight. I will have to ask a few of the guys in my club who build big warbirds how they do it. Maybe one of them could spray it for me. That Majestic Major looks beautiful, but I don't want a transpaernt look. This is a scale model and I am trying to make it look as "real" as possible. I have used Solartex, Worldtex, and Coverite before and know how nice they go on but they are partly see through and I am trying to steer clear of that look. .
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:07 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,266 Posts
I too will point to Sig Koverall. Painting is no big deal. From your last post you have guys in your club who more than likely would give you tips if you asked. It doesn't take any great secret skill to paint just the desire.

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
I have actually used flat latex which was given two coats of clear satin polyurethane to seal the paint from the elements. Latex is very easy to work with and it does not need to be sprayed. Since the plane is electric powered, the finish did not need to be fuel proof. I used solartex in this case. I have also used coverite and did not think that it was a easy to use or as good as solartex.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=teo

Teo
Last edited by viva_peru; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:59 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,075 Posts
Teo, did you use white solartex and paint it or colored solartex and paint it the same color to get rid of the transparency?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
Tom,

I had trouble getting the correct shade of blue for the fuselage, so I got some blue which was somewhat close and then painted over it to get the color I wanted. I built the plane for fun of it and I just wanted to try things out. The wings are the original solartex color.

Before comiting to painting the plane, I made a test frame which I covered with the material and then painted. It seemed to work well, so then I went ahead and did the same with the fuselage.

Which ever method you decide to use, please post a few photos of the finished plane. The C3 is a neat and definitely unusual subject. I believe that it was the last production civilian sport airplane in which the wing was fully braced by wires.

Teo
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:10 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,075 Posts
Teo

My thought was, if the Solartex is already black for the fuselage then maybe only one coat of latex black will be needed to get rid of the transparency. Same for the wing and stab. They will be dark red or orange. Again, if the solartex is already that color then a single coat may cover the transparency. Then a few dusting coats of Kyrlon satin clear to seal the deal. Thanks for the ideas, and I will be sure to post photos of the finished job. Here are a few shots of the bare bones. Last shot is of the real thing. Tom
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the model will rely on the wire bracing to hold the wings in place just like the original. Cool. I think that the version you have is the single seater. I believe that there was also a two seater version of the plane which used a sprung landing gear.

Good luck with the build and don't worry too much about the weight, it already looks pretty light.

Teo
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,075 Posts
Teo

My version is called the C3 Collegiate, more affectionately known as the Razorback. It still carried two people, but your shoulders would be outside the cockpit if there were two of you in it, as noted in the photo of the real one. The next version had a wider empenage and was called the C3 Master and later versions of that had doors and windows. I like the original C3 best. The picture of the yellow one is a picture I found on the web of a C3 Masters before the doors were produced. The black one is the one we had at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome where I hung out. It was before the doors too, and was a hoot to fly.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
Tom,

Thank you for the edification. I remember seeing one fly past our R/C field about 3 or 4 years ago. It was early in the morning, the wind was calm and the sun was up. He was definitely not going anywhere in a hurry and he was pretty low as well; 300 or so feet. Neat and unique plane.

Teo