HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
More for the money heli.

I am new at this hobby (and love it) and have somewhat mastered the cheap coaxle units and wanting to move up and spend the extra money ($200 tops) for a decent heli around 18" long. I have been looking at the Walkera 180d or z models, but by some reviews I have read the Walkera heli is not the best money spent. I was lead to the Eflites, Nine Eagles and Eskys but they don't have exactly what I am looking for. I really don't know what is a good unit for the money. I have a Esky Lama now and don't care about the helis with bodies. Not wind friendly.
meglide is offline Find More Posts by meglide
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
After looking forward some more, I have noticed the Nine Eagles 228 pro or the 328 pro. Are these decent units for the money and what would be the difference in the units besides the size. Which is the better unit.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:34 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Let me start off by saying that this is just my opinion. If you go for a fixed pitch helicopter you are going to find the experience very similar to your coaxial.

If I were you I would look into a Walkeria Genius CP v2 (I have one and like it) or a Blade 130. These are collective pitch helicopters and fly very similar to the larger and more expensive helicopters with one difference, their light weight means that they can hold up to a new pilot crashing them over and over, and you can fly them indoors which will allow you to spend tons of time on it learning how to fly. Then after a few months when you are yearning for more you can easilly make the transition to a 450 size.

As I said it is just my opinion, but hang around this forum long enough and you hear the same story over and over again.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:50 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The only currently made small FP heli that performs significantly different than your ESky Lama would be the Blade 120SR. The Walkera models you mentioned are long obsolete. Nine Eagles products are dated and don't draw much interest any more. Many of their primary online sites have stopped carrying them. The hobby manufacturers have moved away from flybar equipped FP helis.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 08, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:04 PM
United States, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
heli

id go for the 130x,but its a little more than 200.but whatever you buy,make sure you can get parts local.
mmracecars is offline Find More Posts by mmracecars
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:24 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
Saying that you mastered coaxial is actually worrying. How long would it take to unlearn that? I wouldn't recommend going into CP until you get your right hand to stop thinking the aileron is the rudder.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
I have concidered that option and have been looking at the Blade SR which is still a FP and they are sold local along with the 130 model. I have a V911 and got pretty good with it, but still uncertain on my directions when stress factor kicks in when the heli is headed toward the big oak tree. LOL My eye site is a little weak so it gets hard to see the smaller helis in a distance. I have looked for weeks now for the right heli, but the only thing that meets the eye is the Nine Eagles solo pro 238 model and I am gathering it is outdated. I did a search and there seems to be parts but most over seas. I really appreciate ya'lls input in helping me make the right decision. I would rather spend some money now than buy a bunch of helis that would sit on the counter.
Last edited by meglide; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: updated with new infor. I forgot to list.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:46 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
852 Posts
You need to consider a used MCPX. The 130 with bevel gears and shaft tail is a maintenance pig for learning. Any hard landing or issue and your dealing with the bevel gear. Do yourself a favor can look hard at the little mcpx. $135 new now. Cheap parts. Super robust. Crash hard and pick it up and fly again. It's the best training tool anyone interested in CP helis can get IMO. Made my 450Pro and 550Gaui enjoyable to fly.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,481 Posts
Mcpx is a fine bird. Seems pretty tough. When you go bigger they don't take a hit. Do as you see fit and find out for yourself. V912 might be an option as its $80.00 rtf.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:33 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
I concur, the mcpx is a decent cp heli. I've flow plenty of large >1000mm+ rotor disk helis and the little mcpx is pretty stable and quite robust after crashes. But, like all small cp helis, it doesnt do great in wind or great 3D when you get to those skills. After training some of the kids on it with NO cx or fp experience, I only had to replace a swash link on each crash.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:18 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
nano cpx!!!!!!!
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:22 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot23 View Post
nano cpx!!!!!!!
Lol, the less than 2 inches shorter version of the mcpx? Make sure you don't breathe when flying this.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
Its fun. Sometimes hard to see but all of its pros outweigh the few cons. Its an awesome heli.
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,775 Posts
If his coax is a Big Lama he has been using proper mode 2 controls already.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72