HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
-= Trojan Man =-
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jan 2012
860 Posts
Question
Next heli after a Blade Nano CP X? Blade 300X? 450 3D? 450X?

Hey guys,

Begging your pardon for the next heli question. Been researching tons and want good honest opinions and not responses to agree with what I want.

My goal: Move up to a larger CCPM heli between 300-500 class.

Experience: Novice

Fleet: Tons of planks. Nine Eagles Bravo Fixed Pitch Micro. Blade Nano CP X.

I have a good number of flights on my Nano and can hover indoors. Outside I fly circuits, figure eights and hovers. I have yet to attempt any kind of 3D on it. Atm I use Phoenix Flight with my DX7s to practice 3D and orientation skills so I save myself $ when I crash.

I feel I am ready to move up and would like opinions on what would be reasonable, efficient and smart to keep practicing sport flying but have the capability to transition to 3D when I am ready. Having a Spektrum DX7s I am looking closely at the Blade helis. I like the 300x, 450 3D and 450 x. I hear great things about the 450x but the headspeed and responsiveness are intimidating. I know I can tone it down but being a novice at setting up helis I worry about being able to maintain the flybarless system. I hear the 300x is having mechanical/vibration issues. So far, the 450 3D looks the most appealing. The BNF basic is right up my alley. I already have an iCharger and 11.1v 2200 mah packs.

Im interested to hear opinions or experience from owners of the above helis or possible other helis I should consider. Thanks guys
Arycon is offline Find More Posts by Arycon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:38 AM
What goes up, must............
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Joined Apr 2001
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arycon View Post
Hey guys,

Begging your pardon for the next heli question. Been researching tons and want good honest opinions and not responses to agree with what I want.

My goal: Move up to a larger CCPM heli between 300-500 class.

Experience: Novice

Fleet: Tons of planks. Nine Eagles Bravo Fixed Pitch Micro. Blade Nano CP X.

I have a good number of flights on my Nano and can hover indoors. Outside I fly circuits, figure eights and hovers. I have yet to attempt any kind of 3D on it. Atm I use Phoenix Flight with my DX7s to practice 3D and orientation skills so I save myself $ when I crash.

I feel I am ready to move up and would like opinions on what would be reasonable, efficient and smart to keep practicing sport flying but have the capability to transition to 3D when I am ready. Having a Spektrum DX7s I am looking closely at the Blade helis. I like the 300x, 450 3D and 450 x. I hear great things about the 450x but the headspeed and responsiveness are intimidating. I know I can tone it down but being a novice at setting up helis I worry about being able to maintain the flybarless system. I hear the 300x is having mechanical/vibration issues. So far, the 450 3D looks the most appealing. The BNF basic is right up my alley. I already have an iCharger and 11.1v 2200 mah packs.

Im interested to hear opinions or experience from owners of the above helis or possible other helis I should consider. Thanks guys
I would suggest the 450X from those three and also compared to others in that size.
You can reduce the head speed to 75% max and the dual rates and expo to gentle settings. It flys really well even which a soft setup. Then as you get better, just need to creep the settings up a notch or two.
You get good spares and support by using a mainstream heli and manufacturer. That is very important when you are beginning.
I have several sized Helis and I think the 450 is the best choice between small and twitchy and bigger more stable that you can still fly at or near home without any fuss. Lots of practice is what it is all about.
The 450X flys like a bigger heli.

The BeastX FBL controller comes very well setup and when you are happy with it, doesn't need any maintenance at all. Mine was fine out of the box. I didn't touch it. I do have two bigger Helis both with BeastXs, which I set up from scratch.

Good luck.
Hopefulflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hopefulflyer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,465 Posts
The 450X would be fine. The headspeed is a lot less than that Blade Nano. The blades are just a little bigger.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:01 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,168 Posts
Not a blade flier, but if you no longer worry about orientation, then you're no longer a novice. Regardless of how 'twitchy' they say a 450 is, it still doesn't compare to a micro. Cyclic movements that would send a micro heli zooming out of sight, is just enough to make a 450 sized heli hover, and you'll actually have to slow down to let a 450 keep up. You need more throttle to get it to accelerate, sharper angles to get it moving, and more room to get it to stop. It's just heavier.

You'll pretty much be doing fast circuits by the time you get to your third battery. The only thing that'll hold you back is the intimidation factor.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:20 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,567 Posts
My 450s are really more stable than the smaller heli an easier to fly once you get past the sound an bigger size. Should have switched much sooner. The smaller heli react faster but my 450 can move also. The big plus is the size is easier to see.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
450x
Pompedo is offline Find More Posts by Pompedo
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:51 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
245 Posts
I would get the 450x but I have been able to learn flips,
inverted hovers, and other 3d stunts with the nano cpx. I would try flipping because it is way easier than it looks and do it over grass so if you crash, it won't hurt it.
Zbak is offline Find More Posts by Zbak
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
183 Posts
I went from the mcpx to the 300x and it was pain free.
I run my 300x at 65% rates with 25% expo and its a pussy cat!
I now have a HK450 GT with RJX head and Tarot ZYX
I would say that the 300x is less intimidating than my 450.
GadgetMart is offline Find More Posts by GadgetMart
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:59 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Sep 2012
49 Posts
My vote is the 450x, simply because the help is bigger, easier to see, wayyy stronger than the 300x, more parts are swappable, I fly a blade 450 3d and I love it, I went backwards and got a nano now to practice everything. I would say master all movements with no expo setting on you nano including inverted before you move to 450
SirSolo is offline Find More Posts by SirSolo
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
if its ok, i'd like to ask the same question and want to add that i have DX6i and would prefer not to have to purchase another Tx due to my budget.

i see a 450 BNF 3D for 233.xx on Amazon and a 450x BNF for 450.xx.

whats the diff between the two besides price?
UB6uJ is offline Find More Posts by UB6uJ
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:04 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Sep 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB6uJ View Post
if its ok, i'd like to ask the same question and want to add that i have DX6i and would prefer not to have to purchase another Tx due to my budget.

i see a 450 BNF 3D for 233.xx on Amazon and a 450x BNF for 450.xx.

whats the diff between the two besides price?
The 450x is flybarless and comes with the much hyped, Ar7200 flybarless gyro win built in receiver to bind with spektrum,

The 450 3d is fly-barred with a mems gyro and parkflyer receiver.

Other than gyro and receiver they have the same motor, same servos, same esc. They are both capable of 3D menuvers, from what i have seen the 450x is better at it due to less weight and being flybarless.

You can get a 450 3d for around $190 since they have gone on a fire sale.
SirSolo is offline Find More Posts by SirSolo
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:41 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i have a blade 450 3d that has been converted to FBL with a tarot head and zyx-s gyro. i love it. i've also flown the 300x and it is a very good flying heli also.

the intimidation factor of the 450 took a while for me to get over. just this weekend i finally decided to "just fly the dang thing". i was amazed at how much more stable this heli is over my mcpx.

i like the 300x due it it being less intimidating, easy to fly, and it really has alot of power coming from a mcpx or nano. it has some weakness issues, but all heli's have some issues.

i personally would go with the 450x (or a 450 3d and convert it to FBL). reason is that there seems to be more aftermarket support for the 450 size, and the bigger size makes orientation easier.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
appreciate the replies, SirSolo & hoghead5150

is it expensive in time/labor to covert the 450-3D to FBL say versus just purchasing the 450X?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:02 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
here is the thread that shows everything. i didn't do the conversion, my heli was bought after the conversion was done.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=433222

there really isn't much to the conversion, and mine flies very well.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
here is the thread that shows everything. i didn't do the conversion, my heli was bought after the conversion was done.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=433222

there really isn't much to the conversion, and mine flies very well.
hey thanks. i'll check it out