HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 21, 2003, 05:00 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,861 Posts
Modifier_jan,

I've followed this thread from the start.....thanks for sharing your observations. I for one have benifited from those "bad experiences" that others have shared. I have become very aware of the risks of dealing with batteries. I have made adjustments, without giving up the benifits.

Thanks

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2003, 05:47 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss, and also sorry to see the sort of responses that you have gotten.

This issue seems to be worth monitoring closely.

A few weeks back I had an unexplainable issue with a 1500 Kokam 3 cell pack. I had no fire, but one cell of the pack puffed up inexplicably (I posted some pictures).

The pack was almost brand new, and it had never been hot (the heat shrink was not even misshapen in anyway). I contacted FMA and was advised to return the pack and was told that their techs would advise me of their findings.

I've heard nothing.

I've sent a follow-up to FMA, but still have heard nothing. That is very unusual for that organization.

I'm getting concerned that there may be some sort of issue with the 3-cell 1500 Kokams.

I have several 3-cell packs of other ratings and have had no problems at all with them.
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:19 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
I think this is another clear indication that hobby-use lithium polymer packs cannot hit the mass market until they have protection circutry that monitors each cell and keeps everything in balance and at the right voltage. Duralite Thunder Plus batteries are a huge step in the right direction and Thunder Power appears to be following their lead.

The OP would have been seriously injured if he had been near the charger when this event occured. It's much easier to repair wallpaper than human flesh.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:22 PM
Annapolis, Md
Joined Jul 2003
331 Posts
Quote:
The manufacturer was Kokam, I have just checked.
Thank you. I guess the only other thing I would like to know is if it was a Kokam premade pack, or if the pack was made by the retailer you bought it from. I don't mean to be picky, but it would be nice to know. Thanks again.
Gazoo is offline Find More Posts by Gazoo
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:44 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Hey Brunswick,

From one Lipoly "crockpot cooker" to another, keep an eye on my batteries, I've got to go watch some football .

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Dec 21, 2003, 07:27 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Well Slow, we're living on the edge!!! Football indeed. Cleveland was a let down today, so maybe Indy will give me a good show tonight.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Dec 21, 2003, 08:01 PM
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Sep 2002
1,070 Posts
I don't understand the animosity in this thread. I honestly don't get it. I like to know when things go wrong for others so that I know to watch out for it myself.

Thanks for the heads up, Modifier.
pfm is offline Find More Posts by pfm
Last edited by pfm; Dec 21, 2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 09:20 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,218 Posts
Jan, let me add my gratitude for telling us about your problems and experiences. And my apologies for sidetracking the thread by tilting at windmills....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:28 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas B
Jan, let me add my gratitude for telling us about your problems and experiences. And my apologies for sidetracking the thread by tilting at windmills....

While I gather the moderator has removed some of the more acidic comments, I have not read into the posts here the hatred others seem to have found.

Lets cut to the chase.
  • 1) What is the correct vessel to charge Lipos in?
    2) The correct cell count setting on my Apache charger is critical. Of course. But is the capacity setting? If I have a 2S2P 1200 Etec pack (2400mah total), is there any problem charging it at the 2 cell, 1200mah setting? Other then it taking 2 hours instead of 1?
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:19 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
If a Lipos explodes in a crockpot, won't the ceramic turn into shrapnel? Just a safety thought.

I have been using Li-pos since the ETECs came out. Before that I used Qualcom surplus lithium-ions. I build my own packs. I fully charge each cell before I build each pack. I charge on a large ceramic tile. I keep my li-pos either in my table drawer or my TAMRAC flight bag. I have had no incident since I began using Lithium ion and poly batteries as charged by my Orbit.

From reading these posts, it appears that modifier_jan did not do anything wrong in charging his batteries. I am going to STEP-UP-A-NOTCH on safety thanks to his post.

JT

PS - I hate Ezone bullies! Stop them in their tracks by citing their bullying. Excercise zero tolerance.
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:20 AM
Annapolis, Md
Joined Jul 2003
331 Posts
Quote:
1) What is the correct vessel to charge Lipos in?
The Titantic...LoL Seriously there have been some good suggestions...take it from there.

Quote:
2) The correct cell count setting on my Apache charger is critical. Of course. But is the capacity setting? If I have a 2S2P 1200 Etec pack (2400mah total), is there any problem charging it at the 2 cell, 1200mah setting? Other then it taking 2 hours instead of 1?
No. However LiPo's are perfectly happy being charged at the 1C rate. As far as I know the highest charging rate for the Apache is 1500ma. I am using one too. Using the 1500ma charge rate is a far cry from a 2400ma (1C) charging rate that your pack is capable of taking in.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:21 AM
Annapolis, Md
Joined Jul 2003
331 Posts
Quote:
From reading these posts, it appears that modifier_jan did not do anything wrong in charging his batteries.
No, but whoever assembled the pack did.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:26 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Actually Gazoo, we cannot be sure that the assembler of the pack is at fault, But i had the same thoughts as you did and will continue to build my own packs.

I was going to start to buy built-up packs next year due to an episode with aluminum solder. But now I think that the solder is less dangerous than not knowing if the pack is balanced or well built.

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:46 AM
Annapolis, Md
Joined Jul 2003
331 Posts
I know and agree. But something was not right. I find it hard to believe that Kokam would send out a bad pack that they had assembled. But I suppose anything is possible. I would consider the Duralights, but they are too expensive for me.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 01:59 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,769 Posts
from what we've seen so far, LiPos don't appear to explode with a whole lot of force. the explosion is more like a pop, then flames shoot out in random directions like a roman candle. i doubt it would crack a crock pot, but it could certainly blow the lid off and send it flying. i'm not so sure charging in a sealed or semi-sealed container is a good idea. a fireplace seems ideal to me.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Closed Thread