HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:33 PM
In a house.
Joined Nov 2003
79 Posts
The charge safe circuitry will indeed make them safe. I use the Charge Safe IC in my Duralite Plus Li-Ion packs, and it works flawlessly. If this occurred when the batteries were new why wasn't anyone watching them? I can't imagine testing something new and walking away from it. Sounds like VERY complacent testing procedures to me...
Aero330LX is offline Find More Posts by Aero330LX
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:41 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
Everyone has 20-20 hindsight. The trick is to know then what you have learned, now.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:49 PM
In a house.
Joined Nov 2003
79 Posts
I wouldn't call batteries being explosive hindsight...I knew that 20 years ago. ALL batteries will do it. Leaving a new technology and not monitoring just wasn't a smart thing to do. When you do testing you have to have *foresight* so things like that don't happen.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:51 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
I'll be right back to read more of this, the buzzer just went off on my triton so I've got to go get my TP's off the charger.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:00 PM
In a house.
Joined Nov 2003
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunswickOH
I'll be right back to read more of this, the buzzer just went off on my triton so I've got to go get my TP's off the charger.
Looks like we'll have another victim in the future. Some people are incapable of learning I guess. I'll continue to read about these statistics to remind me of what NOT to do so I won't be one.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:07 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero330LX
I wouldn't call batteries being explosive hindsight...I knew that 20 years ago. ALL batteries will do it. Leaving a new technology and not monitoring just wasn't a smart thing to do. When you do testing you have to have *foresight* so things like that don't happen.
People were used to leaving NiCads and lately NiMH packs on charge overnight, unattended. I have done that very thing for over 30 years of R/C modelling.

Note than in 30 years of active R/C I have had Nicads vent 3-4 times which charging and have had 2 small nicad fires, caused by shorting out the leads while handling the batteries. I call that safe.

The explosion/fire risk of Nicad and NiMH is not in the same catagory as Li-poly. Early adopters of Li-poly were unaware of the size of the danger. They were just using them. We all learned from it, and now are able to make the kind of statements you make now that the dangers are well known.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:11 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:12 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,769 Posts
aero, if you want to be rabid about LiPo safety, go ahead, but you will be wasting a lot of your life standing in front of a charger. i wish i had such a leisurely life as you do. besides, there is no guarantee that you will be able to predict a battery swelling just by watching the charger. you don't have to have an incorrect cell count detection to have a fire. if the battery has been damaged by overdischarge or unnoticed physical damage, or the pack is imbalanced, you're not likely to see any obvious signs of trouble just by watching your charger's display. then you have all those smaller chargers out there that don't have any sort of display at all. what is one to do then? i think the best practice is to charge your batteries in place where it won't matter so much if a fire starts. that's the only near-foolproof way to avoid burning your house down. as long as you're in the same room, or in a room that isn't closed off from the room you're charging in, you'll be able to hear/see/smell a fire and put it out safely.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:30 PM
Milton Keynes England (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
184 Posts
I am new to this forum. This is my second post, and was posted to reinforce the dangers of charging LIPO batteries. I can not believe some of the negative comments posted here. I for one will think twice before posting anything again. The people running this forum work hard and moderate the forum in a responsible way. It is a shame that some people out there in the world take a positive posted warning and treat it in such a shameful way
Modifier_jan is offline Find More Posts by Modifier_jan
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:30 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,756 Posts
Hmm, this has to be some of the most rudest, and useless posting I have ever seen......except for Newgroups but I always thought this better.

A guy posts he had an incident...a negative one and some of you assume he/they are stupid. For him to post about the incident helps us all, just like the positive incidents, though the self proclaimed LiPo genii may have not figured it out yet....nose too far up in the air!

My journey over here (battery/charger fourm) was to ask a LiPo question about multiple pack (2) arrangements but I will ask elsewhere.

Modifier_jan, sorry to hear about you troubles but thanks for sharing them (hmm, that was easy and I didn't belittle anyone).

Thanks guys.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:35 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
That was very well said Kevin
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:57 PM
AMA 148796
Where it Rains
Joined Jul 2002
1,058 Posts
Modifier-Jan,

As one of the earlier posters regarding a fire (I lost my Lexus to a Lipo fire), I respect your taking the time to post about the dangers.

There is an option to "ignore" posters you feel are being rude, I use it. Just see the profile of those in question, and set the "ignore post" option.

Ken
ken_keeler is offline Find More Posts by ken_keeler
Old Dec 21, 2003, 04:01 PM
Annapolis, Md
Joined Jul 2003
331 Posts
Modifier_jan,
There have also been many that care and are concerned. I would still like to know the manufactuer of the battery.
Gazoo is offline Find More Posts by Gazoo
Old Dec 21, 2003, 04:08 PM
Milton Keynes England (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
184 Posts
Ken, Thankyou for the advise. I will take it. The manufacturer was Kokam, I have just checked. I will have some pics tomorrow (Have to borrow camera from work)
Modifier_jan is offline Find More Posts by Modifier_jan
Old Dec 21, 2003, 04:57 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,091 Posts
Modifier_jan
Welcome to Ezone and thank you for sharing your experience.
It's infortunate that we have to wade through the posts of those few that seem to have a need to criticize or ridicule others. You will soon learn that there are a number of people on these forums (you've already encountered a few) that are best ignored.
Don
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Closed Thread