Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:26 AM
Annapolis, Md
Joined Jul 2003
331 Posts
Modifier_jan,
While I am glad you and your house are OK, I don't think it is fair of you to make a post and scare people without letting us know all the facts.

1. Brand of LiPo
2. Brand of charger
3. Current and voltage settings used to charge the battery
4. Were the batteries is a crash
5. Was the charging polarity correct
Gazoo is offline Find More Posts by Gazoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:35 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Also, look at his name. Does that mean something?

Anyway, moving to the right forum; Batteries and Chargers.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 20, 2003, 01:32 AM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
Details man, details!

Awfully sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. I'm glad you and yours are safe.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Last edited by Awakened; Dec 20, 2003 at 03:35 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:32 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Ben... That was well uncalled for!!

I think we were all asking sensible questions and I think a majority of us know the potential risk, however would be nice to know the circumstances why this happened?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Last edited by topgearuk; Dec 20, 2003 at 03:35 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:10 AM
Milton Keynes England (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
184 Posts
Hi all,
I have 5 packs of LIPO's in total. I am using the 4020 charger and have had no problems for the last 5 months. On average i use and charge the LIPO's at least twice a week. I was charging a brand new pack for the first time at 1 amp. Should not have been a problem. I will post a couple of pics as soon as i can so that you can all see how these thinks REALLY burn well. Please heed all the warnings about safety with these packs. However the benefits we gain from these cells, I think is worth the risk.

Jan
Modifier_jan is offline Find More Posts by Modifier_jan
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:37 AM
Joined Dec 2003
184 Posts
Hi All,
More full explanation. I am a 44 year old engineer, hence the name modifier_jan. I fly 2 helis, one a highly modified piccolo pro, and the other a flybarless eco piccolo. The setup for charging the LIPO's is.. An Ultra Power power supply, an Kokam LIPO4020 charges set to 1 amp, 11.1 Volts. The LIPO's were brand new, had no Manufacturer ID on them. All the setup mentioned above was purchased from e-flight in the UK (This problem is in no way connected to them, there service is excellent). The pack was connected with the correct polarity. and double checked with an AVO. This thread was not intended to scare anybody, only to make you all aware that the risks are very real and to take precautions.
Jan
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:57 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Jan,

I am really sorry to read of your misfortune. I read into your response that you are considering this to be "one of those things", like I am sure that I am not the only one to have knocked over a tin of paint and we accept the cost of replacement as "one of those things". As someone who has reputable packs available to them I would be really interested to know the outcome of all this.

Again, sorry to read of your misfortune.

Best regards,

John
(also a 40-something ex-engineer )
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Dec 20, 2003, 07:03 AM
Joined Dec 2003
184 Posts
Thankyou John, I have contacted e-flight and will post any replies
Jan
Old Dec 20, 2003, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2003
184 Posts
Just read all the posts in this thread, looking at the mess on the burnt carpet, if i had been near this pack when it exploded i would have beem sprayed with extreemly hot, if not burning liquid. The place where i charge the LIPO's is in my study, if i had been studying at the time i would probably not have noticed any problems,Therefore i am glad that i was not near the pack when it went up, see pics in the next posting and make up your own minds
Old Dec 20, 2003, 02:58 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,769 Posts
greebe, i would be interested to know how you think i "screwed up bigtime". what did i do to cause that fire? the cause of the fire is still unknown, so i don't know where you get off for blaming me for it. i was not charging them unattended, and i had a fire extinguisher handy. yes, i shouldn't have charged them in the heli, but that was not the cause of the fire. the heli ended up taking very little real damage in the end anyway. it was just a messy clean up job, and the only major loss was the battery itself.

i'm getting really sick of all you high and mighty types that think you'd never be stupid enough to have a LiPo fire. before my fire, there had only been a couple other fires, and they happened under completely different circumstances. the community is learning from the experiences of those of us who have chosen to take risks and pioneer the use of LiPos in this hobby. you should be supportive, not condescending. some people on this board are so eager to make other people feel stupid when they make mistakes. it's like you get off on it. it's attitudes like yours, greebe, that really make rcgroups an unpleasant place to discuss this hobby sometimes.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:06 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
If you wouldn't mind answering these questions it would help us dissect what happened here.

1. What was the state of the battery before you started charging it? Specific voltage, please.

2. What specific brand of battery was it? Was it an off-brand untested cell?

Again, awfully sorry to hear of your misfortune. Perhaps we can interest you in an ammo box to charge in?
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:14 PM
radar jammer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined May 2003
563 Posts
appearently you didn't see the

EDITED BY MODERATOR...
Greebe is offline Find More Posts by Greebe
Last edited by Sal C; Dec 20, 2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:20 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Safe Place to Charge lipo's

Harvey posted a week or so ago, that Home Depot (USA) had a Fire Safe for under US$20- that he bought to place lipo's in.

I found one at a local Home Depot for US$18.97. It is heavy, and designed to keep heat Out - but looks to be able to keep it In, as well.

I charge my lipo's inside it; store them inside it...with the lid locked...when I am not charging. The cord from the lipo to the charger keeps the lid from closing completely - and locking - when charging. However, the lid is heavy enough that I do not believe a fire or small explosion would cause the lid to open.

I charge in my garage, on a concrete floor, with the Fire Safe 8"-10" from anything flammable. And I have a fire extinguisher that is rated for Electrical fires, near the place where I charge. Not too near "D

I waited nearly a year to step up to lipo's, because of safety concerns. A concern I still have is: Equalization of each battery. Until I hear more from users of large packs, I won't sell my NiMH and NiCd packs...imagine the exploding energy of a 5s6p pack!

Sure love the Positive aspects of energy density!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:10 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Please keep to the topic and stop the mud slingin...

We're watching this thread closely...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:37 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,744 Posts
Modifier_jan,

Did you check the balance of the pack before you started the charge?

My recommendation is always to check balance before charging and if OK , recheck the balance after a few minutes - this should show any imbalance well before full charge is reached on any of the cells.

Jim Davey
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Closed Thread