Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:19 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcoast View Post
lol

does anyone have more informations about dji gimbal proto?

IMO I don't see why they bother...in a few months they won't even get a sniff of the market due to way over pricing. These new gimbals will do everything theirs will at a fraction of the cost.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
IMO I don't see why they bother...in a few months they won't even get a sniff of the market due to way over pricing. These new gimbals will do everything theirs will at a fraction of the cost.

Mike
Has any pricing been announced for it yet? I suspect DJI could come in at similar price points to these others if they want too, they have the production and distribution channels all in place so certainly could be competition. Only time will tell however.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,064 Posts
Quote:

Mike
If anyone from DJI monitors this forum they're probably trying to figure out what to do for pricing on the GoPro gimbal, should be pretty obvious to them by now that they won't get away with the kind of pricing they have for the Zenmuse. If this system works as well as it appears to and can be easily scaled up to larger gimbals that can carry the same size cameras the Zenmuse does I think you'll see the price of those drop a lot in the not too far off future.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:45 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,401 Posts
Quote:

Mike
They'll come too late anyway. I somewhere read the launch was projected for May.
Even if they come in March everyone will have one of those offered here or build there own once the controllers are available.

LOL: http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-zenmuse...o-hd-553-p.asp

kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
While I think the person/company who gets to market first will gain all the early adopters and mad scientist tinkerers on these boards, the company that will come out on top in the end in the gimbal world will be the one who gains the best reputation in terms of quality, ease of use, distribution channels, and customer service. DJI, for better or for worse, seems to be one of the biggest players in the consumer UAV space, simply because their name is ubiquitous to consumer UAV, as they capture the entry market with their easy to build kits/RTFs, and hands off equipment, like the Naza. They build brand name recognition from the entry level flyer, and that can turn into customer retention as they grow and look for bigger and better stuff (wookong/S800, etc) Look at the Phantom now, it's almost like what Traxxas did and is doing for the ground based RC market. And DJI does seem to have the best distribution channel system out of all the "brand" names in this space.

Assuming DJI prices their gimbal similarly to competition, whatever gimbal company that wants to get on top is going to have to challenge DJI on all these fronts, otherwise I believe DJI will erode everyone else's market share to the point that make it impossible for the smaller guys to make a sustainable profit, once all the early adopters have gotten their units. However, DJI could go a different route, and offer theirs at a higher price point, to capture the higher end market/professionals, ie people who don't mind spending more dough to get higher quality/performance (percieved or real). You know, the guy who likes to fly the most expensive equipment, and brags about it, or the professional who can simply write the purchase off as a tax write-off ..... In that case, then the lower end market will definitely be up for grabs!
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:15 PM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
It is certainly true, but the fact that those two dji gimbals, as great as they are, are designed for two or three specific cameras (gopro and nex/gh2), leaves an open field for every other camera.. That fact plays for our fellows dyiers. Some of them are really gifted with their knowledge and their "savoir-faire". And the market is huge.
Just my 2 cents.
milouze is offline Find More Posts by milouze
Last edited by milouze; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: ..typo..
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:07 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,017 Posts
I own 2 z15 nex 5. both work VERY WELL.
but, they were incredibly expensive. I was going to order a new one and sell the others when the GH3 version comes out. now I think I will keep the sony ones as the value is about to drop to about 1 K USD I believe. I recently sold my GH2 version z15 and was amazed at how long it took to sell, I thought it would go up and be grabbed in a instant if I priced it at 3K. it was actually the oppostie. no interest for 2 weeks, then I dropped price to 2900 and 3 people pm'd only. 2 were total timewasters. one was interested and was genuine. He already had a gig setup in holland and had a GH2 and cameraman who likes the GH2, so they had a real want for the gimbal. He was my buyer.

the need to drop the price to 2900 to even get people interested was very scary. I thought for a while I would be stuck with it, and that if that was how much interest I got after offering 600 dollars ( nearly 20% discount on new price ) and it was brand new in box also ....

how must the ACTUAL sales of z15's be going now??? I bet pretty poorly.
If DJI are clever they will bring this gopro unit in for about 800 USD.

for 800, ( about 2 x the price of these units being showcased in this thread ) they will get people like me who want plug and play. But I suspect they will come in at 1500 USD hoping to ride the brand loyalty and brand awareness of DJI. this would be a mistake as I am and I'm sure most people are only willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more than these new cheap gimbals to have it made of shiny metal and plug and play.

any more than 750 - 800 for 2 axis is a big mistake.
any more than 1000 for 3 axis is big mistake.

And as for photohigher and hero line , I was quoted 4000 - 5000 for gopro, 10,000 +++ for nex and 30 ( YES 30 - 40 THOUSAND USD !! ) for hero RED camera capable gimbal. I dont know what they must be thinking looking at this thread, but I think that pricing scheme may just need to be adjusted slightly

its going to be a very interesting few weeks
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:27 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,401 Posts
jetbootz: I think you can consider yourself lucky you got rid of it last minute.
In a month or so the loss would have been much greater...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:24 PM
"Watch this!.... Oh crap"
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined Jan 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
Remember that gimbals goal is always to stabilise the image, not the camera body!
So, I hope this gimbal (and all others from now on!!!!) has good camera position adjustments, otherwise better go back to drawing board and get it right before mass production!

The lenses has to be on gimbal axis alignment, on all axis! Most gimbal designers never realise that and end up doing nice looking but bad functional gimbals.

In the case of this gimbal for GoPro, we should be able to adjust camera lens position on all axis, and would be nice to be able to do it with or without the case or stand. Otherwise it can be the most revolutionary gimbal in the world but the results will just not look good.
Actually for best image stabilization the gimbals pivot has to be at the aircraft's COG or pivot location, Which is hard to do. Pivoting on the cameras lens or not makes no difference.
jhebbel is offline Find More Posts by jhebbel
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:09 PM
checkout my Blog
Joined Feb 2008
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
Actually for best image stabilization the gimbals pivot has to be at the aircraft's COG or pivot location, Which is hard to do. Pivoting on the cameras lens or not makes no difference.
Given a reasonably implemented gimbal, what matters the absolute most is that each axis of the gimbal has its own CG coincident with its respective pivot. All else are of secondary importance.

I've started blog to demonstrate how the mass properties (mainly MOI and CG) plays with gimbals, airframes, and props & motors. If you are interested, start with the earliest post at the bottom of the page and read them in order.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=195984

Soon I will address in mathematical terms the off axis question regarding the optical axis and roll pivot location. The short answer regarding whether or not it matters is "it depends".

Dan
otlski is offline Find More Posts by otlski
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
They'll come too late anyway. I somewhere read the launch was projected for May.
Even if they come in March everyone will have one of those offered here or build there own once the controllers are available.

LOL: http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-zenmuse...o-hd-553-p.asp

$15746.43 US Dollar.......wow that is quite a price to carry a $399 camera on roughly a $1500 quad.. .. I guess we can wish them well... I wonder who they might think the buyers are LOL
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:24 AM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
741 Posts
can we get some video of FLYING with that gimbal, to see if it looses horizon in turning due to centrifugal force that messes with acc-z axis?

not hovering in one place like a baloon? and then slowly moving forward, stop, turn around in place, and come back...

here is an example of properly molested gimbal during very strong stick bashing and turning around in high G turns...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PXvq_q28hv0
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Showreel 2014
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:27 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
$15746.43 US Dollar.......wow that is quite a price to carry a $399 camera on roughly a $1500 quad.. .. I guess we can wish them well... I wonder who they might think the buyers are LOL
Im going to go out on a limb here and say 9,999 isn't the price but a place holder or something.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:48 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Im going to go out on a limb here and say 9,999 isn't the price but a place holder or something.
It was and the people that believed that was going to be the true price do not have common sense.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:57 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
It was and the people that believed that was going to be the true price do not have common sense.
It's now at 0 BP - wow, what a price drop!
Will order 10.000pcs of them now.
RCG Plus Member