HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:39 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Don't know which you ordered John, but for control-line I would go for the thicker one (or even doculam under the tissue)
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
952 Posts
Your wing looks really well-made. I like the interlocking construction. Looking forward to the covering.

P
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:58 AM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
Hey John.,
just for fun, here`s two ad`s out of a 1961 Academy hobby supplies catalog I have showing no less than four different Flite Streaks versions available at that time.........
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:14 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,454 Posts
different versions

Thanks Chad. The first add shows the Flite Streak with the built up fuselage, so that must have been the one I had. And I still can’t remember what happened to it. I do remember flying it and letting my buddy fly it in a small park (early 1960,s) at

Mitchell's Bay Marine Park Ltd
3 Allen Rd, Dover Centre, ON N0P 1L0, Canada
+1 519-354-8423 ‎ • mitchellsbaymarinepark.com

There was a small dog on the loose that was chasing it around the circle, then my buddy flipped it upside down and chased the dog. Very funny to watch.

Had many a great flying days , until one Sunday afternoon some one complained about the noise and called the cops who shut us down.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:06 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,454 Posts
Doculam "covering" material

George,I ordered both, as I wasn’t sure, and don’t know, what I might need.

Wow. Well, you learn something new every day.
I didn’t know what Doculam was, until now. It sounds interesting, especially 500 ft for less than $20.

Here a quick web search:

Products » Coated Lamination Filmsoculam
Doculam
Polyester-based Films
• High-melt adhesive design for two-side laminating
• Standard polyethylene adhesive layer
• Economically priced and best for basic lamination
• Best for laminating plain paper with low ink coverage
• Retains properties and flexibility from -50 degrees F to
350+ degrees F
• Resists penetration by chemicals, greases, and oils
See the site info for other similar products. There is even a “request a sample” tab, which may or may not work, but always worth a try.

There is also a download info sheet.

http://www.adlamfilms.com/Doculam.html

There is also an old, 2004, thread here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274520
and this thread has a post that says

Best of all, if you like it, you can buy a 500' roll of it for $18.95 plus shipping from Laminator Warehouse...just make sure you get the lighter grade 1.5 mil stuff
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:59 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Doculam is great to use John. For a good example of a tissue over doculam finish see bigisbests Cloud Snooper at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=cloud+snooper
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:13 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,454 Posts
Peace Maker-all the balsa 8 oz

The Peace Maker wing is now all glued together and only needs a bell crank and centre sheeting added.
I’ve ordered several bell cranks and the Mylar material. If it takes too long to get here, I may use plastic covering.
The pictures show what the Peace Maker looks like now in bare bones. All the spars lined up rather straight and just ‘fell” into place. No curves or wiggles.
As an after thought on the rib and main spar “notches” they were cut almost too tight. Next one (second wing) will be cut a little “looser”. The tight fit sometimes caused the bottom rib portion to slide off centre because of the “extra” downward push I used to get the rib to force its way down the “fit” notch for the rib/web spar combo.
The wing is a little longer (as previously mentioned above). Why? No real good reason other than I didn’t really want to waste the “balsa ends” of the left over shorter parts. And larger wings, with little extra weight gain, do fly better. Besides, that’s what Greg did for his wing and he’s happy with his.
And I am surprised at the AUW balsa weight of about 8 oz.
The fuselage left nose section still requires the ply cap section. Before adding this ply, a little carbon fiber and epoxy will be added to strengthen the whole front end. Read that as insurance against accidents. In the end though, this Peace Maker is going to come in much lighter than the above Flite Streak.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:27 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Nice airframe John, and that is a pretty good weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:44 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,454 Posts
Peace Maker options

Thanks SD. The Peace Maker frame is waiting for a bell crank and covering.
I was curious about how much engine weight could be used before the AUW exceeds 20 oz. Surprise; the Enya .29 glow weighs the same as the OT Major.
Of course the lack of ether, and the cost of the OT’s will keep them off this model! Besides, the larger glow will have more power, is cheaper to run, and readily available.
The LHS fuse side still needs the ply lamination, but I have now added carbon fiber to really tie in the wooden beam mounts.

Just looking and doodling with the parts, maybe a Peace Maker for the Parra engine? They do come with a glow head. And an RC throttle.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:33 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
It's looking really good John.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:12 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,454 Posts
I got “all the parts” together now. I’m just waiting for some Doculum covering. I don’t think I’ll go with the mylar because it seems a little too light, and I am having trouble getting it to aggressively stick down.

Chad loaned me a bell crank, the same day that my mail order brought me one. I want to install it, sheet the wing center section and then lay it (wing) up to the profile fuselage with a little carbon fiber and micro balloons.

I really like this wing construction, nice and light, very rigid. It’s calling, I can hear it, build another…use ailerons and…..

Stay focused and finish the present projects. For me, that’s hard to do!

John
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:55 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
I'm glad you like the "egg box" wing John as being the one who was pitching for you to build it that way I would feel bad if you didn't! Clearly my recollections from fifty years ago of how good a structure it is were accurate and not the result of selective nostalgia!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:58 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,454 Posts
I got the bell crank bolted in to-day. Got off to a rather bad start. I dropped the parts out of the package onto the floor. The bronze bushing must have bounced away because I can not find it. Opened a second package and proceeded to loose the nylon bushing. So, it took two packages to get one job done. The next bell crank (second wing) will be installed “before” any sheeting or top spar is added. Not having done this in decades, one tends to forget. Anyway, the unit is very securely mounted onto 2 x 1/8th ply glued to the main spar between two ribs. The Doculam has arrived, so we’ll see what the covering will be.
John
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:06 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,454 Posts
Peace Maker

Here’s the bell crank that I lost half the parts for. That’s why it’s nice to have a spare package.
Lead outs are piano wire (1/32nd) solid. They won’t be sawing through the metal crank, as perhaps multi stranded cables would. Hopefully this model will get more than fifty flights.
Time to sheet the centre section and get the wing glued into the fuselage.
Bill, if you don’t mind, rather than “plastic”, I think I’ll use this model to try out the Doculam covering. If you don’t like the final looks, you can always re-cover it.
John
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:00 PM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
Looking good John.

I really like that heavy duty aluminum bell crank for this size of model over a nylon one. Really bad azz and tough.

If you were a competitive combat flyer at a club, would they wan`t you to have a safety cable from the crank attached inside the plane? I think I remember reading something like that a long time ago. Or do they just require a good pull test before flying? Or both?

If this one is Bill`s, should n`t you put that push rod in the inner hole for less throw to stop his inevitable "brown out" on the first flight?

Git R` Dun!
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H