HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:23 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
Build Log
Peacemaker- "Britplan" Build Off - 1st January 2013 to 30th June 2013

Peacemaker- "Britplan" Build Off - 1st January 2013 to 30th June 2013

The Peacemaker, Aeromodeller, 1958 plans service qualify.

It was designed by George Aldrich conforming to the then UK normal combat model size (2.5 - 3.5 cc) specifically for publication in Aeromodeller.

It’s been over forty years since I had a .35 U/C and about 20 years since I tried to get my kids into modeling with 049’s. Have we lost the touch, only time will tell.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:24 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
reserved page for comment

similar plan for Flite Streak post 396

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...638419&page=27
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Mar 29, 2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: post
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:03 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Subscribed John. I've added your entry to post #1 of the build off thread, and a link to this build log.

Are you intending to build it scaled up for a .35?
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:59 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
I have to check my stash of old engines and find a couple that still have a little life left. There’s an old Fox and Enya .29 (I’ve had these two for almost fifty years), Johnson .36, Merco 29, 35, ST .35, Fox Rocket and CS. If I can get enough diesel fuel together I might go for 2.5 with PAW, ED and Parra. And while I’m rolling, maybe a 1/2A with an .09.
There will be more than one Peacemaker.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:13 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,475 Posts
John, I've built and enjoyed several Peacemakers over the years. George designed the original around an Oliver Tiger, given to him by Ron Moulton for the specific purpose of designing a good "British" combat model.
If you use an engine weighing more than around 6 ozs. you'll have to add weight to the tail to get a reasonable CG. The ideal "inexpensive" engine would be a PAW .19 but, even with a PAW, which is fairly light for a 15/19 diesel, I still need a bit of weight at the tail end to make the model manoeuvrable as opposed to over-stable.
I think a "big" engine would be fast (obviously) but you'll end up 3 or 4 ozs overweight which will seriously affect the model's flying qualities.
A good 15/19 diesel on 50 ft lines would be just right!
Drifting into heresy and blasphemy, it's just occurred to me that a good Russian combat .15 would be great. They are extremely light, which is a MUST for a manoeuvrable model. I possess an ex Russian World Champs engine, which has all the qualities imaginable... It's just a bit "anonymous"...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:04 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
Thanks Brian. You jogged my mind- I do have a few USSR engines. And of course a few Cox .15’s. I’ll weigh up my engines. Perhaps for the first “unit” though, I think I will be better off nose heavy and 60 or 70 ft lines. I once flew a Sterling “Flying Fool” with an Enya .29 on 85 ft lines (U Reely handle). The lines did “bow” quite a bit, but it was a very tame flyer. Another reason for an expendable motor (old Fox) is that I may not be very good after all this time, and the ground may come up and bite me. On the other hand, if all goes well, then maybe the Parra. You are absolutely right, lighter planes fly much better.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:22 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Lighter models certainly do fly better, but with regard to the Peacemaker I must say that most of ours back in the day had Rivers 3.5cc roller bearing Silver Arrows, now I can't remember exactly what these weighed, but they were a fairly substantial chunk of iron and I don't recall us having any nose heavy problems. Running a 9 x 6 prop on the Rivers they used to go pretty well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:23 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
I've been flying my current Peacemaker for a couple of years now, and at present it's got a Sharma 2.5 turning the prop. Beautiful relaxed flier. My Peacemaker is stretched from the original with the span out to 39" and an extra inch added to the tail moment.

With these mods it flies very well even with more powerful engines - the best in this was a modded CS Oliver tiger replica. Dynamic performer.

The Flightstreak was a different animal altogether, plans for both attached.
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:55 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Lighter models certainly do fly better, but with regard to the Peacemaker I must say that most of ours back in the day had Rivers 3.5cc roller bearing Silver Arrows, now I can't remember exactly what these weighed, but they were a fairly substantial chunk of iron and I don't recall us having any nose heavy problems. Running a 9 x 6 prop on the Rivers they used to go pretty well.
George, we have a difference again! The Silver Arrow is one of my favourite engines (superb!), but I hung one on the nose of a Peacemaker and the model was so nose heavy that I didn't even consider installing it properly and flying...

Also, an obvious remark concerning Greg's post above... Greg increased the size of the plane by about 8%... and found that it flew very well (which no-one would doubt!). However, it would also have flown very well if he hadn't increased the size!

Lastly, on my own Peacemakers (4, I think). I never did find an engine that was light enough to eliminate the need for any tail ballast. Even the lightest engine I tried (an early sixties PAW 2.49 Mk III) needed a little.
All mine were entirely covered in lightweight Modelspan, with nylon doped onto the tissue on the wing.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:21 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Proof of the pudding....

....is always in the eating Brian. In the attached poor scanned photo you will see three of our Peacemakers, two without motors but the front one sporting one of our Rivers 3.5s. The other models are two of our OD Donbat twin boom models, one with another Rivers 3.5 and an AM35 powered KK Firebird. As I said, the Peacemakers flew very well with the Rivers, and were capable of absolutely all aerobatics including square loops, bunts, eights and "aerial chainmail" so either we managed to find some VERY hard balsa for the fuselage and tail surfaces (possible) or the Peacemaker flies perfectly well with a wider CG range.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:28 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
George, we have a difference again! The Silver Arrow is one of my favourite engines (superb!), but I hung one on the nose of a Peacemaker and the model was so nose heavy that I didn't even consider installing it properly and flying...

Also, an obvious remark concerning Greg's post above... Greg increased the size of the plane by about 8%... and found that it flew very well (which no-one would doubt!). However, it would also have flown very well if he hadn't increased the size!

Lastly, on my own Peacemakers (4, I think). I never did find an engine that was light enough to eliminate the need for any tail ballast. Even the lightest engine I tried (an early sixties PAW 2.49 Mk III) needed a little.
All mine were entirely covered in lightweight Modelspan, with nylon doped onto the tissue on the wing.
Broken,

I've got to admit to being a fan of big wings (a 'la Leigh Mallory eh?) Yes I agree that as designed Peacemakers fly very well, but bigger is better.

My next one is likely to keep the fuse size of my current, but the wing will go out to about 42". No change to the chord though.

Possibly the best flying one I've built is the hybrid I made using the Russian combat wing construction. It gave a very light model with the weight better distributed, and with a Thunder Tiger 15 glow it was an outstanding flier.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Mine came on plan CG without any ballast. The engine was a Webra Winner II which eventually broke its crankshaft in flight, probably weakened in previous crash with the nylon prop (now I used wood props exclusively with my vintage engines).
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:12 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
PeaceMaker options.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Greg, thanks for the Flite Streak/Peacemaker plans; makes for a quick comparison. They both have a constant cord. Your “highly modified” tapered wing with the TT .15 looks good, but it is a different model altogether.
Is it using foam ribs? What’s the all up weight?

JMP, that’s a nice looking model. I see you have a 2.5 diesel. I too broke a crank on my ETA using a nylon prop when it came to a sudden stop on the ground.

I’ve tiled out the Peakmaker plans. Just have to glue the pages together, not that a “full sized” plan is really required. The original plan states ribs are at 2 inch spacing, spars are 32 inches. With the wing tips, total span about 36 inches.
My old Flite Streak weighs in at about 750 g with a Fox.
If I went with a 2.5 diesel,
OT 158g, KMD 190 g, MAP3 160 g
And a 3.5 Rivers 205g.

Got the sheets glued together. Here’s an old Flite Streak (1970?) with a Fox .36X for comparison. You didn’t have to worry about this one going loose on the lines or falling in.

Ok, now for the build. Just the outline and shape or do I have to use the egg crate rib construction? Do I really need to add the nose gear, or is it optional?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
As far as the "rules" of the build off are concerned regarding structural changes, these are pretty relaxed, they have to be as scaling up (or down) is permitted and this often requires a degree of structural modifications, the main thing is that the outline should be accurate. However, in the case of the Peacemaker, I would personally stick with the original structure, I always found this produced an accurate and strong wing which was very stiff once covered. If all the bits are accurately made it is also quite satisfying to fit together! Your choice though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:51 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
G'day John,

My model is, was and always will be regarded as a Peacemaker. Had I painted the wing it would be hard to tell the difference.

The only important difference was the construction method of the wing. I fact I could have flown it in Vintage combat. The wing certainly looks different, but it is the exact plan view. It's really a lot closer to the real thing than my current PM, which wouldn't pass scrutineering for Vintage Combat. Maybe I should get around to building another one.

It came off the board at about 15- 16 oz.

And obviously I'll recommend building to the outline.
Greg