SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Discussion
How do i install ailerons?

This may not be the correct forum section, my apologies!

I am a senior at Camden County Technical School, leading a project to design, build, and fly our very own RC air plane!

My team and I have put a lot of work into our design, we have an estimated weight as well as our wing loding and lift figured out! However we are having trouble finding sufficent information regarding how exactly to go about installing the servo motors and having room for flaps and ailerons! (We intend to have both). Any information would be wonderful!
DonaldM164 is offline Find More Posts by DonaldM164
Last edited by DonaldM164; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:08 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,741 Posts
i used http://secure.hobbyzone.com/itemmult...structions.pdf for ailerons on my cub. may help you too.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:37 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Also depending on your transmitters capabilities you can use what's called "flaperons" it's basically ailerons that are programmed to function as flaps when switched on.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:21 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,160 Posts
Some possible useful information -

http://www.letterkenny.flyer.co.uk/modeldesign.htm

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronauti...bs-06/spl8.pdf

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/design.htm

There is loads more information on the web. I would also recommend looking at a few model aircraft plans for RC gear installations etc, again plenty of plans for downloading or just viewing on the web.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,928 Posts
Ailerons and flaps are attached to the wing structure with hinges from the hobby shop.Tail control surfaces are attached and hinged similarly. Slots are made into the flaps and hinges and into the wing structure and hinges are carefully glued into the slots without getting any glue into the pivoting parts.The flaps and ailerons are bevelled so that they can move down and up. Look at some of the build threads in the scale electric plane forum, see how ailerons and flaps are constructed, hinged, and linked to servos arms with pushrods or cables and control surface horns. When you see it, it's quite simple, hard to describe in few words.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 07, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
I cannnot begin to tell you how useful these links have been! Very many thanks!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:05 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,380 Posts
If you intend to compete in one of the weight lifter competitions, be aware that ailerons cause tip stalls at high alphas and high Cls.
The wing ahead of the down-going aileron stall the wing ahead of it, and the non-stalled wing on the other side rolls the airplane to the stalled side.
Once.
100% differential... no down aileron at all, with the aileron going up only, when coupled to the rudder should give enough control authority for turning.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:23 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
threads like this really disappoint me. NO RESEARCH, crack a book, do some searches...

NO, JUST ASK OTHERS TO DO IT.

And your leading the project.

hope you don't hurt someone or something.

and it is not like this is the hard stuff ....
rcshirt is online now Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:41 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
If you intend to compete in one of the weight lifter competitions, be aware that ailerons cause tip stalls at high alphas and high Cls.
The wing ahead of the down-going aileron stall the wing ahead of it, and the non-stalled wing on the other side rolls the airplane to the stalled side.
Once.
100% differential... no down aileron at all, with the aileron going up only, when coupled to the rudder should give enough control authority for turning.
I love this answer ... just so relevant to the OP ... Not !!

The guy hasn't even knowledge to hinge / connect his ailerons yet and here we have this !!

Cheers ... a gem !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:45 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM164 View Post
I cannnot begin to tell you how useful these links have been! Very many thanks!
One of the engineers here has sponsored a number projects with one of the local schools, one involved an RC plane to carry a 1 lb load for 1 hour.

The students were not modelers and came up with a very chunky over weight airplane that barely flew with no payload.

A buddy of mine and myself spent a few hours looking at their design and construction, and made mods to remove excess weight, redo their rudder/elevator linkages, hinges, and the wing to fuse bolts, set the CG, and got the thing to fly 1 lb but for 10 minutes. No way it would fly for an hour with the battery they had.

The point is, find a mentor to look at your design and construction. Find an RC Modeler, who builds. A good mentor can get you the parts you need and the building techniques required to get to you goal without you and your team reinventing the wheel. You might not need any special hobby parts, for example, some of my planes use Duck brand clear packing tape for aileron and flap hinges and they've gone over 125 mph rock solid.

Once you get your plane built you'll need to learn how to fly. If you just have a spring semester, your time is limited. So find a RC mentor. Most of these guys are geeks anyway and would gladly help.

Good luck.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:21 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,380 Posts
My club hosted the SAE Aerodesign competition for 3 years. A goodly number of the planes were barely flyable.. some were the outputs of the Aerodynamics teachers favorite ideas... few of which worked, and some were totally impractical.
One outstanding design was technically superb... molded CF parts, highly modified motor, ... but... unflyable by anyone! Uncontrollable oscillation in pitch because the pivot point for the flying tail was too far aft. Few of the entrants had any r/c experience or guidance from anyone with experience, and their planes were not really practical. What with having to cater to the whims of the prof, and no building experience, some strange things showed up.
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/sae2000n1.htm
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
threads like this really disappoint me. NO RESEARCH, crack a book, do some searches...

NO, JUST ASK OTHERS TO DO IT.

And your leading the project.

hope you don't hurt someone or something.

and it is not like this is the hard stuff ....
Second month into research, I'll try harder next time!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
My club hosted the SAE Aerodesign competition for 3 years. A goodly number of the planes were barely flyable.. some were the outputs of the Aerodynamics teachers favorite ideas... few of which worked, and some were totally impractical.
One outstanding design was technically superb... molded CF parts, highly modified motor, ... but... unflyable by anyone! Uncontrollable oscillation in pitch because the pivot point for the flying tail was too far aft. Few of the entrants had any r/c experience or guidance from anyone with experience, and their planes were not really practical. What with having to cater to the whims of the prof, and no building experience, some strange things showed up.
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/sae2000n1.htm
I see, our design isen't to exotic. In fact our design is based off the telemaster V2 for simplicity's sake as well as the stability a high wing aircraft brings to the table. With 575 square inches of wing area, and a high aspect ratio, we plan to make it efficent and stable! Perhaps not as fast as some other aircraft but any further input would be appreciated! I don't mind sharing details concerning our planes design!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:38 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,380 Posts
I usually copy the layout of planes I know will fly, for many of mine. Maintaining the tail moment arm and c.g. are the most important when not desiring something really different.
If along with a new airplane, you are or have new pilots, get some stick on one of the simpler ARFs. It's not as easy as it looks.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:00 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
here's another idea. IF you teacher will allow...

reach out to the local club and see if someone would come in and actually bring a plane or planes and show you what is what. that person would be able to address concerns about designs from someone that has built, flown, and been there done that. Then if your teacher ignores it.. you heard from the actuall persons that operate them.. not a thoeritical engineer.

im sure the is one club that would love to reach out, and maybe even have the group come to the feild for a change.
rcshirt is online now Find More Posts by rcshirt