HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bradley Stoke
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex PicoJet from the grave

Hi Guy's,

I thought i'd pop up a thread about my PicoJet which brought back to life over the weekend after sitting in my parents attic for the last 12years.

I remember my dad bought it for me when i was about 9-10, after my parents had split up.

Of course, at that age i didnt have the resourse or funds to do much with it other than what came in the box. I put it together, attempted to fly it and broke the nose off, i think thats as far as it went. The last time i saw it was when my Mum moved house as it was put into the attic in 2001.

So, fast forward 12 years and after spending about 2 years learning to fly CP helicopters i found myself with a broken heli and a lack of funds to fix it. In the interest of getting back in the skies i remembered having this along with a Zagi at my Mum's so i stopped by to pick it up one evening last week.

I pulled the radio gear from my heli, along with the 3800kv brushless and 2200mah lipo, applied some epoxy, duct tape and new pushrods and i had myself a nearly complete picoJet!

I couldnt find the original canopy for it so i've had to fashion up a custom foam/duct tape version but it does the job.

See attached pic!

Flying it was another matter as i've not flown an Rc plane other than on a simulator recently, and that really doesnt teach you how to throw the darn thing with 1 hand and control it with the other

3 crashes and some more epoxy & duct tape later i finally got it in the air! It actually flies beautifly well considering how beaten up it is, although it's a bit fast for a novice! I found myself bumbling around on 40-50% throttle.

A blip of the throttle was enought to send it rocketing off so fast i could barely keep my eyes on it. I think it's fair to say 3800kv is a touch overkill for it!

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or tips on it and any flying advice for a relative novice to Delta wing's? prehaps where to progress from flying circuits/fig 8's?

Regards,
Ryan
bulldog5046 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog5046
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:39 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog50466 View Post
...I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or tips on it and any flying advice for a relative novice to Delta wing's?

Regards,
Ryan
I'm also a relative novice, and got a FunJet after a very limited (but steep ) learning curve. What made my FunJet manageble was dual rate on the elevons. Apart from the launch and landing, the thing becomes much too input sensitive for full throws, and my set-up isn't even close to fast.

Starting point is off course to check the (non dual rated) elevon travel/throw. I don't know about the PicoJet, but for the FunJet, multiplex prescribes assymetrical differential throws.

I'm certain that everything becomes overly complicated for a relative novice if the throws aren't correct.

Happy Landings!
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Your certainly right about the amount of travel.

Unfortunately on the cheap radio i'm using there is no endpoint adjustment to make it a bit less sensitive. And, as this was a cheap bit of fun i'm not keep on spending too much on it.

I think i will just have to learn to fly it as it is, i'm sure it will come in time.....

Ry
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:33 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog5046 View Post
Your certainly right about the amount of travel.

Unfortunately on the cheap radio i'm using there is no endpoint adjustment to make it a bit less sensitive. ...
No need for electronic endpoint adjustment. Mechanical adjustment by using the correct hole at the servo arm will do.

Jürgen

P.S.: Epoxy is not the recommended glue for Elapor and Duct Tape is unnecessarily heavy.
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
No need for electronic endpoint adjustment. Mechanical adjustment by using the correct hole at the servo arm will do.

Jürgen

P.S.: Epoxy is not the recommended glue for Elapor and Duct Tape is unnecessarily heavy.
A good point. Currently they are as far out as they will go. I guess I could look for some longer ones.

What is recommended instead of epoxy? I've never used anything else...

As for the duct tape, the extra nose weight can't hurt with such a bit motor and lightweight lipo pack! Battery it pretty far forward to get the required CoG
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
A good point. Currently they are as far out as they will go. I guess I could look for some longer ones.
Mount the link wire closer to the shaft center of the servo arm to reduce travel, not further out. Opposite at the rudder horn; Further out to reduce travel.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Mount the link wire closer to the shaft center of the servo arm to reduce travel, not further out. Opposite at the rudder horn; Further out to reduce travel.
Sorry, should have been clearer. I did mean at the aileron not the servo. I'll have to see if I can find different servo horns to get it in closer at that end....

Also, I just googled the glue and it appears to be called CA. Googling that it appears to be SuperGlue. I seem to recall I tried this once and it melted the foam, is there a special type to look for?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, should have been clearer. I did mean at the aileron not the servo. I'll have to see if I can find different servo horns to get it in closer at that end....

Also, I just googled the glue and it appears to be called CA. Googling that it appears to be SuperGlue. I seem to recall I tried this once and it melted the foam, is there a special type to look for?
If the PicoJet is Elapor, which Jurgen seems to indicate (and he normally knows Multiplex like no other), then regular CA (Cyano Acrylate) should be fine. I have tried various brands on my Mulitplex planes, and the more recognized brands seems to do a better job than the very cheap ones. I have also started using an activator.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
If the PicoJet is Elapor, which Jurgen seems to indicate (and he normally knows Multiplex like no other), then regular CA (Cyano Acrylate) should be fine. I have tried various brands on my Mulitplex planes, and the more recognized brands seems to do a better job than the very cheap ones. I have also started using an activator.
Activator? This is what makes me think it's something different...

SuperGlue as we know it in the UK bonds instantly..

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/SG_UG_CNTRL_tds.pdf

And it's not recommended for plastics, which made me suspect it would melt the foam.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:48 AM
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
I tried a bit of superglue to see if it would be okay on the foam and it appears to work.

My only real concern is that superglue is very brittle when dry, i'd expect it to not take impacts well. But i could be wrong?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:49 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,026 Posts
why has this topic been moved ? the pico jet is a foamy (first elapor model even)
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
why has this topic been moved ? the pico jet is a foamy (first elapor model even)
I suggested I might of put it in the wrong place.

The foamie section seemed to be more for new models that were coming out rather than my basher that's 14 years old.

I guess the mods agreed?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:56 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
Quote:

What is recommended instead of epoxy? I've never used anything else...

As for the duct tape, the extra nose weight can't hurt with such a bit motor and lightweight lipo pack! Battery it pretty far forward to get the required CoG
Good job. Half my planes were other people's ARFs that I got out of the trash bin and repaired - so I'm falimiar with rebuilding.

With respect to mechanically changing throws, to reduse throws, move in on the servo end and/or out on the surface end. Moving to a longer servo arm will increase the throws.

Epoxy will work with Eplor - it's just heavy and rigid. For structural repairs on most foam, I usually use Gorilla glue - it's lighter than epoxy, has some flexibility when cured and sands well. I put as thin a coat as I can on one side of the joint and mist water on the other side. When you join the parts, the GG will foam up, filling any voids and getting a good mechanical grip on the parts. You have to be carefule to not use too much, or it can push the surfaces apart.

Good luck , and keep up the good work.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Last edited by gnofliwr; Jan 09, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:16 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,026 Posts
material not age

Age of a model does not change the model type and many of the active topics are going on for years.

Besides that this model is being discussed in other current "foamy" topics.

Quote:
I suggested I might of put it in the wrong place.

The foamie section seemed to be more for new models that were coming out rather than my basher that's 14 years old.

I guess the mods agreed?
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:43 PM
Full throttle baby!
Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
130 Posts
Pico jet conversion

I just maidenhead my first picojet but have always wanted to convert it to a ducted fan and it flew beautifully! Because of the ailerons behind curved up (like its cousin the twinjet). It likes to stay up there all day unless you really trim down!
Set up as follows:

80A Suppo ESC
4s 2600 30c
12 blade 70mm Changesun
HET 2w20
HS65 HB's

I'll post pics soon!

Tim
Eagle50 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle50
Last edited by Eagle50; Apr 03, 2013 at 11:03 PM.