5,407 Posts
Thanks mut, ill add some carbon and finish it up. Ill try to get a video
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
As my airframe got more and more battle damage I started experimenting to see what further possibilities/refinements could be done to this thing. The first thing I did was clip the wings to see how little wing loading was need to still fly well. I cut them off at the red stripes and it flew just a bit faster but was still stable. Then I added sweep to the wings, not so good. at least not the clipped version. Next step will be to add ailerons without going full 4 channel. I will post the results when completed. My idea is to see how well this fan will power our small planes! I know there is enough on 2s but I am tired of flying around in circles very fast, I would like some maneuverability as well!
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:43 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,407 Posts
Mut, I never flew one of them but I made a few conversion of the Jetscreamer fans using the mustang motors and 3 blade rotor and they seemed decent, may build another P80 for one. Only got to add the carbon to the wings today, maybe maiden tom.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
MustangAce17,
Those fans were designed many years ago. Batteries are a LOT better now, I bet that'd run great on a quality 2s 130 or 160mAh 25c.

Mutcake,
Couldn't get started building yet. I swear I should give up building. Everytime I want to start one something comes up.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:01 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Listen, I know how hard it is to build something! I we could all subscribe to the "why I can't seem to ever finish or start a build", Thread! I don't even want to count the number of down loaded plans I have on my computer. But I can say this, You will be happy with this design. My wife says its such a smooth flyer now thats impressive. Good Luck! Hope you find time soon.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:12 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
I locked myself in the model room at 8am this morning. I was at the club indoor by 6:30pm with these...
P-80 Indoor EDF (1 min 3 sec)

MicroEDF indoor sport jet (1 min 8 sec)

Sorry for the unedited poor quality vids. The planes do fly very well.
Last edited by mcross; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:48 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,407 Posts
Nice job mike!, i plan to finish mine by tom. night
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Nice job mcross! Try a 200mah battery in the same location and you will get more speed and duration. I'm glad you had a chance to build one. These fly very well out side also. I have a lot of fun with mine wind surfing and dodging telephone poles. Your sport jet is cool also. When I batter my airframe up I clip wings, and chop the fuselage a bit to give it another look and feel in the air b4 I reload the gear into a newly cut airframe.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:20 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
This is such a smooth flier, I've built 3 brushed and made 2 kits for other people. Flew them at 3 indoor events. It was bound to happen, it HAD to happen. I dragged out my motor building tools and put together a 2s fan that draws 3.3 amps for 50gr thrust hot off the charger, settling to 40.
AUW 38g
AR6400
YGE4L brushless esc
2x 160mAh Hyperions
Custom 10mm inrunner
Built to Mutcakes plans

Ok Garett, you should be able to fly this like a 3d plane.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:04 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about! This plane is a smooth and accurate flyer due to the Parkzone electronics. It flies like the PZ micro's which was my goal. Mcross you beat me to the 2s though. Mine is cut out but not complete. I am thinking of full 4 channel on mine, then later landing gear. Of course I made mine a bit larger to retain the low wing loading. We'll see how it goes. I'm now designing another plane in the series of 1s planes and will post it up as soon as its done.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:27 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
For anyone interested in building these I have tested just about all the 8.4mm motors I could find. These included the 4-site, mustang, original sukhoi, bravo sp, and the bravo sx motors. The mustang and 4site seem to be the same motor I think, but stand corrected if these are not! Anyway the Mustang produces the most thrust and up to 25gms on GWS 30mm fan/rotor so you want to use these to power your planes on 1s. (at least right now till there is something better).

Mcross I am really excited to know how yours flies on 2s so don't be silent. should be fast! My neighbor remarked how fast he thought this little plane was, and then I took out my HH Mig 15 and GP F-86 and flew them. Not even close.
Better put some carbon fiber in the wings.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:28 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
You met your goal, Mutcake.
I thought about making it a little bigger but decided since it's only 7 or 8 grams heavier I'd try the same size. If I build another 2s I'll go with a symetrical airfoil, 4 channel, and a little bigger. But that's probably not going to happen, too much else to do.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:05 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Are the Mustang motors stronger than the Bravo SX? I got the Bravo sx motors cause they're supposedly stronger and longer lasting. Did you try the Mosquito motors, are they the same as the Mustang just one reverse rotation?

Winds are light and variable, cam and plane batteries are charged.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:16 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Yes the Mustang motors are better than the Bravo SX motor.
I purchased the Bravo SX motor thinking I'd get more rpms since they are all the rage over on the UM hop up page also.
After testing it I found that this is not the best application for that particular motor. It does however give more thrust direct drive than the standard motors. And no i have not tested the Mossy motors but if I did i'd choose the one that spins in reverse direction since I know these were meant to spin the other way. looking forward to your video, Good luck,
Last edited by MUTCAKE; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: numerous typo's
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,854 Posts
Very nice work Mutcake.
Now a guy like me would like to reproduce the fan unit setup that you have. What is a Mustang motor and where do you buy one. Are the Vapor Bricks available somewhere? I have a Vapor but I don't want to alter it at the moment.

Thanks
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox