HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:31 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
Discussion
P-80 SHOOTING STAR and other 1S JETS

I wanted to make a jet that has Parkzone like flying qualities. So I chose a straight wing early jet age model. I have to say that I am quite surprised with the way it flies. I just got back from the gym that i fly in and man am I happy. It easily takes off from the gym floor (without landing gear) will loop from a slight dive and is a very good all around flyer. I choose to put minimal dihedral in it to increase it's speed. I had to increase the rudder area with tape to make it turn better. So the next one will have greater rudder area built in.

Specs:
Radio Vapor Brick
Wing span 16 inches
Weight w/out battery 21.1grams
Weight w/Battery 25.4 gms (eflite 150mah# 27.2 with #avionics 200mah)
GWS 30mm fan w/Mustang motor 25gms thrust
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Last edited by MUTCAKE; Mar 01, 2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: title change
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:36 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
I would really love to make plans of this little jet for you all. But I don't have a clue as to how to do this. I think anyone building this plane from plans would have a blast flying it. I don't have enough 1s batteries to take with me when I go flying! I was surprised at the performance. Its not that fast, but it is fast enough to have a blast. I can draw plans and have them scanned if some one wants to take a crack at making a pdf.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:41 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
This jet is Version 2. I had to move the fan closer to the nose. The last one flew well but needed alot of down elevator due to the fan location. now it's way better. Some one will ask for a video so i will see what cameras/people are available to video in the next couple days. You will love the way it flies. I think it could even fly well with ailerons! Version 1 had Kfoil wings but I deleted those and opted for just a sanded undercambered airfoiled wing. I flew well despite being a portly 33gms! at the current weight it's thrust to weight ratio is very good. But obviously less than 25gms with the fuselage blockage and no thrust tube. But I wanted to keep it simple.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:39 AM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
i want more info on the mustang motor, gws fan setup haha.
but this is awesome, and could probably be used to make similar jets as well
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:12 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
flashkick, That's the whole idea! you could do a whole series of these and they'd be a lot of fun! they fly well enough and fast enough to be very entertaining at any indoor venue. Or out doors in a light breeze.

I am usually getting 25grams thrust out of this set up. You have to wrap tape or some other material around the motor since the GWS shroud is made for 10mm motors while the parkzone motor is 8.4 or 8.5mm diameter. I try to keep the airframe under 10gms. This one is a little over 6gms total. So you have an almost 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio. That's what make these little planes rock!
Flight times are good also especially on 200mah!

I think you could use 2s gear like the GP or HH but you'd have to make them beefier and a bit larger just to slow them down so you could still fly them indoors.
Last edited by MUTCAKE; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:38 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
ya 2s is so much heavier, i love small 1s setups. this is awesome. ill probably be trying something similar soon.

its so adorable haha
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:32 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
flashkick, That's the whole idea! you could do a whole series of these and they'd be a lot of fun! they fly well enough and fast enough to be very entertaining at any indoor venue. Or out doors in a light breeze.

I am usually getting 25grams thrust out of this set up. You have to wrap tape or some other material around the motor since the GWS shroud is made for 10mm motors while the parkzone motor is 8.4 or 8.5mm diameter. I try to keep the airframe under 10gms. This one is a little over 6gms total. So you have an almost 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio. That's what make these little planes rock!
Flight times are good also especially on 200mah!
Cool! I also like 1S setup

I'm building an EDF30 wing a little bit heavier than your plane, and i'm using the PZ motor. AUW will be around 35g with battery. This would give gives a 2/3 thrust/weight ratio.

However, i've read in the RTF forum that the bravo SX motor gives a better thrust with the PZ gear box. So maybe would it give more thrust with the EDF30 (i hope...).

I've ordered 2 motors and i will try them asap.
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:28 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
indoor_fr, Ca vas mon ami? (I'm practicing for trip) .

I want to try the SX motor also. I would like to post up plans of this if I can find out how? It is a surprisingly good flyer and fun. Would like to see your plane when you build it.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:09 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,649 Posts
Nice plane Mutcake. Think it'll fly in a one court gym?
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:09 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
mcross, watsup?
Yeah it will fly in a one court gym. But you would have to increase the dihedral a little since I did not have much in this plane as you can see from the photos. But even without it it is very maneuverable.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:03 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,649 Posts
Watsup? Watsup is that I wanna build one. Can you take a picture for me? One from directly above should be enough to get the wing and stab size and shape. What foam did you use? Any CF?
ETA; Can you tell me the length of the fuselage?
Last edited by mcross; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:41 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
I used 3mm proformance foam from GP. the slot cut out for the fan is 1 1/4 inches by 1 inch rectangle with a slight arc cut infront of the fan. The arc is beveled as is the motor cut out at the rear of the fan case. The engine nacelles are also 3mm foam with a slot cut for the wing curvature. The battery fits in the slot at the front of the nacelles (i know I'm not spelling that correctly oh well). GWS shroud is just taped into place w/scotch tape both sides. If you look closely there is a slot cut (triangular) at the top and bottom of the rectangular shroud opening. the bottow slot is cut directly into the nacelles. The nacelles are the only doubler on the plane. There is no CF. Version one had Cf in the tail due to warped foam,, but is unnessary. (but you may add it if you like).
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:50 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
The fuselage is 14 inches long. Nacelles are mounted 3 1/8" from the nose. And are 5 7/8" long.Wing cord at the root is 5" . There is no kf. Just sanded round leading edge tapered to as thin as possible to the trailing edge starting in the middle of the wing to approximate and airfoil shape. I bent the wing on the edge of the table to get an undercambered foil. The wings were hotmelt glued into the slots cut in the nacelles on both sides. The trailing edge of the wing fits directly at the bottom edge of the fuselage where they attach. The leading edge is 1/8 inch higher than the trailing edge. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:49 AM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,649 Posts
Helps a lot! Should be all I need. Thanks
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:30 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
Shot the video last night just now trying to upload. Says I will have to down load in the video gallery. I guess I will have to wait till one of my kids get home to do this since they know how to do every thing on every device know to man except how to clean their rooms.