HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:27 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

Now the landing gear. Make sure you have all the little parts. My kit was missing a few.
Started with the main gear. The problem is if you mount the wire gear brackets 1st then there is no clearance for the wheels to slide on. So you are forced to mount the wheels 1st and then try to reach down with a screwdrive to install the plastic brackets that hold down the wire gear assembly, not easy.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

The sequence for wheel installation is: First slide a collet on the wire, push to the end of the wire and set with set screw. Then slide on a wheel, then a spacer, none provided in kit, I used a prop hub insert. Then slide on another wheel, and then slide on another collet and tighten set screw.

Another problem, the outer wheel will rub on the fiberglass wheel fairing so I had to sand/grind in order to create some clearance:
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

Front wheel is pretty simple, the kit has all the parts. Very little room (I have big hands) to get in there to tighten the set screw for the steering arm and the final collet of the vertical wheel axle.

I've read about the bulkhead that the steering assembly is attached to needs strengthening so I epoxied a piece of basswood vertically to the bulkhead to help carry the load up to the top of the fuselage. I think I'll had more structural wood on either side of the assembly as well.

Also the height of the lower collet will establish the front wheel height relative to the fuselage. 60mm from the bottom of the wheel/tire is the recommended setting. If you have it too low it will raise the nose of the plane and also raise the front two wheels of the main landing gear so they hardly touch the ground. You know you have the nose wheel height correct when both sets of the main gear wheels are touching the ground/table equally.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

Tail feathers now:

This is possibly the trickiest part of the entire assembly. The elevator joiner wire has a clevis that is held in place by a 4mm set screw. That same clevis has another tapped hole for a 25mm bolt that works as the attachment point for the elevator push rod. The problem is that the holes tapped in this clevis are threaded very poorly. I used epoxy just in case. Also lining the joiner wire with the holes in each elevator section is a lot of work. Use epoxy when attaching the joiner wire to each elevator. Standard CA hinges.

The slot in the fuselage for the bolt that attaches to the joiner wire was poorly cut and didn't line up. I used a dremel to get clearance but will need to clean it up by hand.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

The rudder attaches to the vertical stabilizer with CA hinges but the slots are not opened up for you. Just slits in the covering. You'll need to cut in a slot thru the fiberglass. After 15 minutes with a razor blade I used a dremel blade instead. The actual rudder is balsa so cutting in those slots to receive the hinges was easy.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

Weight so far:
With 1 x 5500 mah 3 cell battery: 6 lbs 15 oz.
With 1 x 4400 mah 3 cell: 6 lbs 12 oz.

I still have to install all the servos and pushrods. Looks like this will be a 7 lb bird after all.
Last edited by ecworks; Jan 12, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

I'd appreciate some observations about the Twinstar II wing installation.
I'm getting used to seeing it on the Transall but I wonder if anyone sees any problems with the angle of incidence.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

Front landing gear steering linkage/rudder linkage. Plan on the better part of an evening to get all of this worked out. The carbon fiber rods w/ adjustable metal pushrods require a lot of trial and error to line up. My kit was missing the carbon fiber rod and linkage for the front steering gear so I use a rod I had lying around and epoxied some control rods on each end.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Front gear linkage test, this is not the servo I'll eventually be using

Front Steering/Rudder test (C-160 Transall RC) (0 min 33 sec)
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Landing gear steering test:

RC C-160 Transall steering test (0 min 16 sec)
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:33 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Thrust vs weight tests:

Current weight: 5 lbs 12 oz

Power plant: 2 x Eflight Park 480 1020 kv w/2 4 blade 9x6 props
Battery: 1 x 4400 mah 3 cell 40c
Thrust : 4 lbs 13 oz.
450 watts wot
39.5 amps
Last edited by ecworks; Jan 13, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

Working out the probable thrust with the two Master Airscrew 3 blade 9x7 props using 3 cell batteries. Using an on-line calculator they should produce close to 6.12 lbs of thrust. So with the estimated final flying weight of 6 lbs 12 oz the thrust to weight will be right at 1:1
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:15 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,827 Posts
NICE-WORK! ECworks! Very cool French cargo plane your building there!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Outdoor taxi tests today. Trying to maintain a straight line while simulating a takeoff roll. Not easy using the rudder controls while also using same stick (left) for throttle. Decided to mix rudder with ailerons so I can steer on the ground using the right stick (aileron) and also added some dual rate to dampen the steering some and that did the trick.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Transall C-160 build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
NICE-WORK! ECworks! Very cool French cargo plane your building there!
French/German