HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:38 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
539 Posts
Question
Fuel tank set up question

New to fuel set ups. Got the engine mounted (Magnum 52 4 stroke) and now I'm trying to figure out the fuel line set up. There are 3 holes in the fuel stopper. Where do the 3 lines go? I see one nipple near the needle valve (I assume this is the fuel intake) and one on the bottom of the engine. Which lines go where and what is the third hole for? Sorry for being such a dumb a**. Thanks
scottieusa is offline Find More Posts by scottieusa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:30 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,135 Posts
1 line goes to the carb., inside the tank it will have a fuel line with a weight, or "clunk" on the end to keep the line in the fuel when upside down etc.

2nd line is a pressure line that goes to the nipple on the muffler. The muffler supplies pressure to the tank since there is no fuel pump. There is usually no fuel line inside the tank for the vent, the metal tubing is bent so it goes up near the top of the tank.

3rd is an optional fill line. It too would have a clunk so you can de-fuel the plane when done flying. If not using the fill line you would but a T into the carb. line and fil and empty the tank from that line.

If you have a nipple on the bottom of the engine this is a crankcase vent and would have a line to the outside of the plane.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:37 AM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
524 Posts
The fuel pick up line(the one in the tank with the clunk) goes to the nipple near the needle valve. Then, a line goes from the tank to the exhaust nipple. The third hole is optional if you want to add a third line to fill the tank. Otherwise you just fill from the carburetor line. The nipple on the bottom of the engine is the breather hole for the engine. You just run a piece of fuel tubing off of it and out and away from the plane because oil residue is emitted from it...don't ever block or plug that line. Also, when tightening the screw that holds the stopper in, snug is all you need. If you over tighten it, you may crack the tank. Then...do yourself a favor and put fuel line on it and submerge it in water. Pinch one line and blow in the other to leak test it. If you have a leak, you will see bubbles.
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:02 AM
Joined Oct 2011
539 Posts
That all makes sense. Thanks guys. I'm excited to get my first nitro plane airborne.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:11 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,750 Posts
This should help with the tank

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Fuel...alAssembly.pdf
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:19 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,845 Posts
Usually the third hole doesn't go all the way through the stopper, you have to actually open it up in order to use it. You should only be able to put the brass tubing through two of the holes by default.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
539 Posts
Got it dialed in the other and had my first few flights. 4 strokes are AWESOME, sounds so cool. My first fuel engine and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the help