HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:32 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Discussion
Not liking wing the joiners on my Custom Mirage build.....any tips

I'm in the process of building a Mirage and making it a 5 panel wing per my build log below.

I'm not likeing or having fun with the wing joiners. I had to make new joiners, out of 1/8" ply because the Polyhedral angle is different from the 3 panel stock Mirage wing.

I've made a couple sets,but I'm still not happy the way they fit. The outer tip panel on the left wing fits tight,but is a little sloppy when it plugs into the center panel. And vise versa on the other wing. I also have a little bit of twist on one of the wings to get it to lign up.

Anyone have any good tips on how to make the joiners fit better? Or is it just trial and error untill I get what I want.

The slot on the ribs where the wing joiner is inserted is a little bit larger than the joiner itself. Which is part of the problem. Any Ideas how to make them fit better?

I'm probably just too picky and they are ok the way they are. I just want to make them better.

Thanks for any tips.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:44 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
650 Posts
Eddie -- I have heard of using a mixture of epoxy/cabosil to build up the size on your loose fitting joiners. Then sand them little by little to get the best fit. I believe this was suggested by Blaine Rawdon in the original Hi-Flight instructions. I can take a look at my copy later this evening.

Allan
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:08 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
Eddie

I haved CA'ed a layer or two of paper to the plywood side to build it up, and glued sandpaper to the edge to make it taller[ grit side to the ply ] then the glued paper gets pretty hard.

Sometimes the spars get pinched together a touch at the end of the panel, joiner fits good there but gets loose when in the full distance [ that reminds of something else but need to forget about that stuff ] , have to check that the spars are parallel '

When the end rib's are canted the distance for the spar to get glued in the rib knoch is more and the causes the spars to taper, that is one reason for bad fitting joiners.

I'am sure you know that you fit the joiner to the box first, then glue it to the wing panel 2nd.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:39 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
650 Posts
This is what Rawdon says:
If you are like me you will manage to sand off too much, resulting in a wobbly tip, which is bad. One fix is to laminate onto the tip joiner a scrap of that 1/64 ply, and then sand that down until you get it right. There should be no vertical play in the tips.
Maybe you can also laminate 1/64 strips to the inside of the slot on the end rib, if needed.
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:56 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
545 Posts
Have you decided that each of the 5 panels is to be removeable ? seems like it would be nice to have the outer-most joiner on each side permanently glued. But I guess it depends on your transportation situation.

My Mirage wing is stock with only 3 panels. I have only two joiners which are completely removable from both sides. I just use a small length of tape on leading and trailing edge of wing at the joiner to keep the panels in place.

To make my plywood joiner(s) fit snugly I applied a layer of epoxy to the appropriate edge of the plywood. After the epoxy set, I carefully sanded the epoxy for a nice snug fit.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:22 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I knew the experts had the answers.

The outer tip panels will be glued to the mid panels,and they will be inserted into the center panel with the joiners. The joiners will not be glued into the joiner box.

I think I'll make up a couple extra joiners in case I break one.

Thanks again,

Eddie
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:17 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Eddie, sorry but there just isn't anyway to fix it Bring it up here next Wednesday and I'll throw it away for you, so you won't have t

Blue Skies..........................Tim

BTW Dis you find a Poly DLG? If not, I have a spare set of foam MiMi wing cores that you can have.
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:35 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD View Post
Eddie, sorry but there just isn't anyway to fix it Bring it up here next Wednesday and I'll throw it away for you, so you won't have t

Blue Skies..........................Tim

BTW Dis you find a Poly DLG? If not, I have a spare set of foam MiMi wing cores that you can have.
Hi Tim,

That was very nice of you to offer to through it away for me. But that will probably happen on my first launch.

No I haven't found a Poly DLG yet. Well I shouldn't actually say that. I built a balsa build up poly DLG wing and repaired my old pod and boom. It's a little heavy,and I haven't got it trimed correctly yet. Just something for me to mess with. I'm thinking of building the Manta DLG if I can get the short kit for it. I don't want to cut all the ribs myself.

Thanks for the offer of the MiMi wing cores,but I have no way to bag them.

I need to come up there and check out your new flying field and fly with you and Dennis. I can show you guys a trick or two on how not to fly.

Eddie