HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:32 AM
Parkton, MD
Joined Dec 2000
345 Posts
Good Plastic Model to work from?

Probably a crazy question but is there a good quality plastic model F4U kit to work from for scale details?

Last time I looked at a plastic model was probably 40 years ago.

tnx
jtm
Jim Miller is offline Find More Posts by Jim Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:22 AM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
Tamiya, Hobbycraft, Hasegawa all make good scale models. Check out
www.squadron.com
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:03 AM
7th Dimension Member
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Mar 1999
313 Posts
Jim,

Not a crazy question, many people use these for reference (self included).

The Tamiya 1/48 scale is really nice (iirc, this is a "d" model):

http://hometown.aol.com/amcfayden/corsair.html

Fit of the parts is exellent, very little filling and sanding needed. Recessed panel lines and lots of surface detail.

Regards,
Andre
andre is offline Find More Posts by andre
Old Dec 19, 2003, 01:26 PM
Parkton, MD
Joined Dec 2000
345 Posts
thanks!
jtm
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:09 PM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,295 Posts
Jim,

Are you going to assemble the kit, then cut it up to get the cross sections right?. I've seen this done in a couple of magazine articles.

Rich
Large One is online now Find More Posts by Large One
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:00 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Large One
Jim,

Are you going to assemble the kit, then cut it up to get the cross sections right?. I've seen this done in a couple of magazine articles.

Rich
could you post pics of this if possible?
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:40 PM
Parkton, MD
Joined Dec 2000
345 Posts
Just details

I was getting frustrated looking at various websites trying to see what all the Corsair bits look like. Things like tail wheel, landing gear, real wing profile in the bend area, etc.

The pics always show some nice flying view but don't really serve the purpose of how the plane is constructed in these areas.

I'm not planning to saw one up however.

I am trying to figure out how to modify the GWS MM retracts into 90s and get them to work on a 30" Corsair someday. With the reduction in weight in the motor and battery there should be some margin in weight to work with.

jtm
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:37 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Jim

If you are looking for scale details on the Corsair then an alternative source to the excellent Tamiya kits might be the compendium volume "The Great Book of World War II Airplanes", which has been available occasionally at a very reasonable price from some of the bargain book centres or you might be able to locate it at your local library. The ISBN # is 0-517-16024-2 and it's a weighty tome, representing the amalgamation of twelve high quality illustrated monographs on various WWII aeroplanes.

I only managed to turn up a single copy of the complete collection in the US - at $95 - in a web search this morning. However the Corsair section is written by Frederick A. Johnson and a quick search shows that there is a copy of this single volume knocking about on the web in Washington DC at $22 (Details being Military Books Homepage: home.earthlink.net/~militarybooks/
E-mail: militarybooks@earthlink.net )

Anyhow, that volume contains superb technical illustrations by Rikyu Watanabe including large scale detailed colour drawings of the landing gear, tailwheel and starboard wing hinge details plus numerous other beautiful illustrations that you might find interesting. Definitely a book that you would want to at least check out at the local library if you need to get those details.

Hope that helps

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:46 AM
Parkton, MD
Joined Dec 2000
345 Posts
brian

thanks and happy holidays!

jtm