Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:49 AM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Question
What is available for starting really big gas engines?

Hi guys,

I know someone out there can point me in the right direction.

One of our local club members who is no longer as young as he once was, and who has already been injured by a large engine's prop, has a Sullivan Dynatron electric starter but in it's standard configuration it is not powerful enough to start some of his larger gas engines.

Some time ago there used to be an accessory that was available from another manufacturer, of a shaft and gears, with a special front plate and bracket, that allowed the Dynatron to spin a gear that drove a new shaft onto which the Dynatron cone was mounted and this allowed the starting of much larger engines....

Does anyone out there know if this is still available, if so from which manufacturer?

Your help is greatly appreciated guys.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:48 AM
Chesterfield (St.Louis) MO
Joined Jan 2004
319 Posts
Tower has these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXADJ2&P=8

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLYW5&P=SM
dmcquinn is offline Find More Posts by dmcquinn
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:14 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
How big are his engines?
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
40 Posts
Hi Sackie

You might give Miller R/C a try. They have a belt reduction system that fits the Dynatron starter.

http://millerrcproducts.com/index.html

Part of the equation too is having a adequate size battery to actually provide enough power to crank over the larger gasoline engines. Motorcycle batteries are usually not enough.

Hope this helps

Carlos G
Carlos G is offline Find More Posts by Carlos G
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,463 Posts
One of our 85 year old members used to use a miller gear drive starter for his G-62's. We keep it at the club with a big battery in a wagon. Actually, we help him with it. I use my milwaukee 18v battery drill to start a cantankerous G-62. You just have to watch out for the spinner back plate. If its thin, these starters will bend them. Been there done that.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Apr 2005
105 Posts
Sackie,
Are the engines mostly magneto or electronic ignition? The mag's can be more difficult to start. If elect ign, you might ask someone with gas eng experience how to hand start. Most guys hand start elect ign gas engines.
rica1 is offline Find More Posts by rica1
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:15 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
cone for my drill

Where can I get a cone for my drill? Thanks Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
One of our 85 year old members used to use a miller gear drive starter for his G-62's. We keep it at the club with a big battery in a wagon. Actually, we help him with it. I use my milwaukee 18v battery drill to start a cantankerous G-62. You just have to watch out for the spinner back plate. If its thin, these starters will bend them. Been there done that.
Edwin
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,463 Posts
Thats a 2 1/4" with insert from Tower. The shaft is a 5/16" grade 8 allen head bolt. Anything less and it will bend. I had to re-tap the cone for the 5/16 bolt and put a lock nut inside. Works pretty good. Just mind the spinner back plates. I've ruined more than a few of them.
Edwin
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:56 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Thanks

I have 3 different starters. A Mac Hodges built for giants, a Sullivan Dynatron, and I would sure like to just use one of my 18V drills.
To the original question. There are some pretty nice looking powerful starters on RC Universe.com for sale pretty reasonable. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Thats a 2 1/4" with insert from Tower. The shaft is a 5/16" grade 8 allen head bolt. Anything less and it will bend. I had to re-tap the cone for the 5/16 bolt and put a lock nut inside. Works pretty good. Just mind the spinner back plates. I've ruined more than a few of them.
Edwin
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:45 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos G View Post
Hi Sackie

You might give Miller R/C a try. They have a belt reduction system that fits the Dynatron starter.

http://millerrcproducts.com/index.html

Part of the equation too is having a adequate size battery to actually provide enough power to crank over the larger gasoline engines. Motorcycle batteries are usually not enough.

Hope this helps

Carlos G
Thanks very much Carlos, the Miller System is exacly what he needs. We are having a club coffee meeting tomorrow evening and I contacted the club member to make sure he will be there and I will provide him with the Miller Info all printed off so he can just call them.

Thanks to all the other guys that made suggestions.

I think I know how this guy feels, he has already injured himself quite badly with another smaller gas engine and he has a VERY healthy respect for engines with props on them and rightfully so.

I know this may offend a few guys on here, but I see lots of guys starting larger gasoline engines, flipping the props with bare hands, and I can only just shake my head, these guys have obviously been in the hobby for a while and there is a bomb waiting to go off in their faces, or actually removing parts of their hands... I am a firm believer of never going to fly a fuel engined plane alone at the flying field, because you never know what can happen and try as hard as you might to always be extremely safe, a single non thinking moment and a severe injury can occur..and if the cut is to your wrist, you can bleed to death while trying to drive yourself to the hospital.

Sorry for ranting about this guys...

Fly safe and you will have many enjoyable years in this beautiful hobby of ours.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,463 Posts
I dont use my hand anymore when flipping my gassers. I use a big paint roller. An idea I got from another club member. A couple of years ago I got lazy flipping my G-62 and it back fired popping my fingers. Hurt like hell and split the back of the prop a little.
Edwin
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:00 AM
Old Guys Rule (and Warbirds)
United States, NJ, Woodbury
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
I've been using a gear reduction/carbon fiber Tail Dragger starter that I bought from their website with great results. I attribute this success to the ability to either send 12 volts or 24 volts to the starter by way of a double pole/double throw switch and two 7 amp hour batts in my field box. I mostly use the 12 volt side to power my fueling pump and retract air compressor. This gear reduction starter is available for as low as $130 plus shipping and is good for up to 80cc engines.
. www.taildraggerrc.com
ol55 is offline Find More Posts by ol55
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2010
370 Posts
Fingers. Just fingers.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:06 PM
Spain, Valencian Community, Almoradí
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Starting Engines safely

So many people have had accidents when starting the engines on their planes and that is exactly what prompted us to come up with the idea of the Airopult.

Not only does it prevent the airplane from going forwards but it also stops it from moving backwards when pressure is applied to the propeller with the electric starter. The pilot is free to make any minor adjustments without the risk of movement from the plane.

www.airopult.com take a look guys, it could be worth it....
RC Airogrip is offline Find More Posts by RC Airogrip
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:08 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
starter

Is this the same one I just bought for $85 shipped??
http://www.swgiantscalemodels.com/el...-starters.html Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol55 View Post
I've been using a gear reduction/carbon fiber Tail Dragger starter that I bought from their website with great results. I attribute this success to the ability to either send 12 volts or 24 volts to the starter by way of a double pole/double throw switch and two 7 amp hour batts in my field box. I mostly use the 12 volt side to power my fueling pump and retract air compressor. This gear reduction starter is available for as low as $130 plus shipping and is good for up to 80cc engines.
. www.taildraggerrc.com