HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, GA, Statesboro
Joined Jan 2013
96 Posts
I'm also looking at a 7.4v 1000mAh 25c lipo on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/140738499885...84.m1423.l2649. It only weighs 49g. They've got plenty in stock at the moment.

I currently use the phone app "RC Flight Timer" to make sure I land this beast before running out of juice.
HD85 is offline Find More Posts by HD85
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:03 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Apr 2012
58 Posts
V912 on steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I hooked up the V912 with my Turnigy 9X (flashed with ER9X firmware). It was a huge difference!

I increased the servo throw / range for elevator and aileron for faster forward flight and more aggressive banks; and more importantly, applied a throttle curve that made sense to me. Now, the heli lifts off at about 65% throttle, hover at 60%. I need to fine tune the settings more so that left and right banked turns "feel" the same. Unlike the CP helicopters that I'm used to, the V912 they does not turn the same way. This annoys me a lot.

I may share the settings if there's demand for it.
Just want to second what FyreSG is saying! Its an awsome effect and very usefull in gusty wind conditions when you will need max throw on the servos./Cheers Swedman
swedman is offline Find More Posts by swedman
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:33 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
I believe that thats the case IF you are following all the AMA proceedures includeing a flying field that also meets their specs. You can't just shoot down the neighborhood.
tonytester
Better to read the benefits and requirements before you form opinions about them :

Park Pilot Program *
Costs:
$29.95
Benefits:
$500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
Park Pilot quarterly magazine
Access to the members only section of the website
AMA Park Pilot Partner network to help you get started
$2.5 million liability coverage is available for owners of AMA-designated Park Flying Sites
Toll free customer service 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.
* Aircraft must not exceed 2 pounds, 60 mph, and may not be powered with an internal combustion engine

Ama Safety Code

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Owen
nagromnewo is offline Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:24 PM
United States, MD, Havre De Grace
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
Definitely sounds like a great deal. Although with my skills [lack of] I would be violating 1a of the safety code.
gamjamm is offline Find More Posts by gamjamm
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
Reading that, what coverage you actually get seems debatable/limited.
Certainly wouldn't appear to cover my local park, outside my house, on the street etc
Merc_ is offline Find More Posts by Merc_
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
96 Posts
Can the v912 bind to the stock 9x? As in, the one from hobbyking for $53? Does it make a big enough difference that it would be worth buying? Thanks
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD85 View Post
Can the v912 bind to the stock 9x? As in, the one from hobbyking for $53? Does it make a big enough difference that it would be worth buying? Thanks
Not completely sure but if you read the comments on the hobbyking page for that TX [scroll down] it doesn't look good. Hopefully a more experienced pilot will chime in. The stock TX [I have the RTF] that comes with it works fine. It is bigger than the other wltoys TX's and although you can't program it, the trims and sticks work well. It also has a low/high button.
Last edited by gamjamm; Mar 04, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
HD85: Found this. It may help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I hooked up the V912 with my Turnigy 9X (flashed with ER9X firmware). It was a huge difference!

I increased the servo throw / range for elevator and aileron for faster forward flight and more aggressive banks; and more importantly, applied a throttle curve that made sense to me. Now, the heli lifts off at about 65% throttle, hover at 60%. I need to fine tune the settings more so that left and right banked turns "feel" the same. Unlike the CP helicopters that I'm used to, the V912 they does not turn the same way. This annoys me a lot.

I may share the settings if there's demand for it.
You should check with these guys. They have much more experience/know how than I. Seems you need the firmware and knowledge to be able to set it up. There's also a link [somewhere] for an english manual. Can't remember where I saw it. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedman View Post
Just want to second what FyreSG is saying! Its an awsome effect and very usefull in gusty wind conditions when you will need max throw on the servos./Cheers Swedman
Last edited by gamjamm; Mar 04, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:34 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Nov 2007
38 Posts
I'm having a nightmare with Banggood. I first asked them to cancel my order. 3 days later they shipped out what looks like a used V912.

Can anyone else share if your V912 had any of the below.

1) Mine has no original packaging. Its been repacked into a small polystyrene box
2) The Canopy is all scratched underneath
3) The charger has a European plug. Not US compatible.

I have asked them twice for a RMA number. Not sure how much USPS are going to charge me to return this to China. I wish I had used tmart
malik999 is offline Find More Posts by malik999
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, York
Joined Aug 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malik999 View Post
I'm having a nightmare with Banggood. I first asked them to cancel my order. 3 days later they shipped out what looks like a used V912.

1) Mine has no original packaging. Its been repacked into a small polystyrene box

I have asked them twice for a RMA number. Not sure how much USPS are going to charge me to return this to China. I wish I had used tmart
1) Traditionally Banggood repackage to save shipping costs and add protection. There is a video on every BG page to explain.
2) Scratched where they've removed the sticker? No-one seems to be able to find the logic in why they do this.
3) My UK order came with a US charger. If you're ever over here you can have mine, but I'd invest in a decent charger anyway.

Does it fly ok?
col1n is offline Find More Posts by col1n
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:47 PM
Underdog
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Dec 2012
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malik999 View Post

Malik999 - Mine also came repackaged typical of Banggood but I am ok with that. After reading how some people recieved damaged transmitters I prefer the extra protection. I also got a charger with the European(?) style round plugs. But on the outside of the styrofoam box they had taped two adapters for a US style outlet. If you decide to keep your V912 you can probably find an inexpensive adapter, or let me know, I only need one of them. But I would be disappointed if I got one that was all scratched up.
Jonboy. is offline Find More Posts by Jonboy.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Nov 2007
38 Posts
No adapter on mine

Here are some pictures

Also noticed
- The tail boom seems loose. Can't see where its loose but seems to turn quite a bit
- I notice on the transmitter the trims are not all center. Someone has already been adding trim on the transmitter as you can see in the pic.

Tested the heli. It works but goes right. Even full left trim on the tx doesnt solve it (explains why the person tried this). Looking at the swash plate I can see why and it would need to be manually adjusted.

Really disappointed in banggood. Even just knowing about the european plug i would never have ordered
malik999 is offline Find More Posts by malik999
Last edited by malik999; Mar 06, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
96 Posts
My canopy had a few spots where the black paint had gotten chipped away when delivered. I touched it up with a black sharpie marker. Worked pretty good. My TX also had a couple of small scratches and one of the silver buttons has some of the silver missing. I like getting my new stuff in new condition, but I was just happy to get it at all after waiting for slow chinese shipping to the USA. Mine came from a seller on Aliexpress.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:45 AM
Joined Jan 2013
96 Posts
V912 Helicopter with 808 Keychain Cam (3 min 21 sec)

Here's my first decent video from the 808 on my V912. The first couple had too much vibration. I wish I had the #16. I'm sure that would have made a big difference. The audio is pretty bad so you might want to turn the volume down.

Also, I've tried several methods to change the date on this thing but none work. I was able to change the date on my first 808 (#3) before I broke it.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:45 AM
Joined Jan 2013
133 Posts
After patiently waiting for a whole month, while excitedly reading your reviews:

The helo is Not coming!

I got scammed.

Ordered from KDS Model on aliexpress.com.

When I finally enquired about order to vendor, they promptly replied in Chinglish something to the effect they couldn't track order and immediately offered a refund if I canceled order. I replied my reason for placing the order was the fact I wanted the helicopter, to try and track it or send another one.

Reply: Silence (dang that says a lot sometimes)

I then recalled a pm from a member here soon after I had placed the order, in which he said he had placed an order from the same vendor with free shipping, and received an email saying free shipping was an error and needed to pay for it. (I noticed shipping had become something like $30 or more)

Based on this circumstantial evidence I must conclude they never shipped product. Happily I got my refund today from aliexpress.

A few things I discovered in this process through some research:

The vendor ratings on aliexpress are suspect. Though at least with a highly rated one you have a better chance of some type of resolution.

Aliexpress gives a false sense of protection with their escrow policy, as they themselves lack reputable business practices. I had a very difficult time opening a dispute. Website issues, incorrect guidance. They are difficult to contact, and ignore communication as they please. See all the complaints and all the clients who have posted on their community forum after getting screwed one way or another by them and the vendors on their site.

Credit card protection is the best way to protect ourselves, at least as it applies to the US. Don't count aliexpress escrow or even paypal who will side with vendors when they lie. (depends on specific issues)

On a side note, I'm still dealing with another vendor on aliexpress that mailed me the wrong product, lied about not receiving a couple of emails I sent (I have proof, email return confirmation) tried to get me to pay for the crap I didn't order, and now supposedly they are sending another one.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm finding the hard way there are many crooked businesses in the online rc hobby. Hope this prevents others from getting scammed like me or worse.

On a bright note, I have now gotten over my dejection, that briefly caused me to consider giving this up. I will now look again for a V912, not just on price alone, but also considering the potential risk and cost of attempting to do business in a market with loads of irreputable businesses, based on my readings here and elsewhere.

Happy flying.
Heloo is offline Find More Posts by Heloo
Last edited by Heloo; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:50 AM.