HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:34 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Discussion
Hak 305

Has anyone else have one of these micro coax's? I received one as a present and to my surprise it flies almost as well as my MCX. It's infrared control (which gives limited control, forward and reverse flight is via a rear horizontal prop) but the copter frame is nicely made of metal. The canopy is a hard shell plastic unlike the flexible canopy of the MCX. It hovers quite steady. My only dislike is that the controls are extremely sensitive, wish there was some way to tame them down (or tighten the sticks). A nice (and surprise feature) is the inclusion of a cable that enables you to recharge the flight battery from your computer, thereby extending the useful life of the TX batteries.
Dave
a67ems is offline Find More Posts by a67ems
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:55 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Could you share a link to that model, or pictures of your own, so that we could see what you're talking about. I'm not familiar with that model name, no.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:06 PM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
HAK 306 Coax

Best way to see a photo and specs is to google HAK 305.
Dave
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:14 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Here you go. $40 on ebay. Looks like a (much) higher priced s107 clone.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Thanks, Gordonzo. I couldn't remember where I saw that remote before, but I have seen it. It has the shape of a S107 Tx, but with S800 sticks, and the trim button is moved.

The helicopter does look like the size and shape of a S107. I couldn't quite make out what's going on at the tail here. It's sort of too small for gear drive, but too bulky for direct drive. What's happening there?

Dave, I'm glad that you are impressed by this model. I guess your familiarity is with the hobby grade Blade products. There are many models available on the market that is similar to this HAK. The one that we mentioned is the SYMA S107G. That seems to be the best in class. Many companies are copying that design to try to take away some of its success. Look it up.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:21 PM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Hak 305 Coax

Thanks for the heads up. I googled the Syma 107. Yep, my Hak is a clone, rip-off, whatever you want to call it of the Syma 107. But I like it anyway.
Has anyone taken ANY of these TX's apart and succeeded in tightening up the stick gimbals?
I would like too tighten up the throttle stick and remove the spring from the fwd/rev direction stick.
Thanks,
Dave
P.S. - How many different brands of this type copter are there out there?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I googled the Syma 107. Yep, my Hak is a clone, rip-off, whatever you want to call it of the Syma 107. But I like it anyway.
Has anyone taken ANY of these TX's apart and succeeded in tightening up the stick gimbals?
I would like too tighten up the throttle stick and remove the spring from the fwd/rev direction stick.
Thanks,
Dave
P.S. - How many different brands of this type copter are there out there?
You should. These copies are not bad flyers at all. The biggest shortcoming perhaps is replacement parts. Sometimes it is hard to find them. In some occasions, you could use Syma parts for it. In others you're stuck.

Removing the spring is a piece of cake. Modding the gimbals, well that depends on the design. I've not worked with yours, so I couldn't say.

How many different 3ch coaxial helicopters out there? Countless. (But Gordonzo knows them all. )
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:26 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
HAK 305 Coax

Well, I held my breath, clenched my teeth, said a little prayer to the bumblebee god (you know, the god of "It can't possibly fly") and opened up the transmitter to see if anything could be done as far as tightening up the sticks goes.
Some success followed, the throttle stick was so floppy that just shaking the tx would make it move. The only solution I could work out was to add some split fibre washers to take up the slack between the stick axle and its holder and was able to remove the sloppiness. More washers might tighten it a bit more but I used the four that I had on hand. Have to see if I can find some more.
Wanted to remove the spring on the fwd/rev stick (my thought being able to set it at a slow fwd speed and leave it, concentrating on the directional control (until I get used to flying it). There is no external spring so that idea is out. But maybe for the better, I'll have to get used to the two axis method.
One other thing, there are two momentary switches on the tx, one on the left which is supposedly an automatic demo flight mode, and one on the right that gives two speeds, aka dual rate. The blue plastic cover over these switches is a hard plastic. I don't see how the switches could be actuated (the cover does not move), so I left them off. We'll see how they work now. I did not try the auto demo mode before but I did try the dual rate and did not see any difference in flight.
I'm getting used to flying this bird but still wish the throttle weren't so sensitive.
Dave
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Oh dear, it appeared that I spoke too soon. The S107 has a removable spring. Then again this is not an S107. So, they have spring internal to the pot. Oh well. I kinda like mine with the spring. You'll learn to like it.

Weird. Functions and switches that you couldn't get to?!?! I have seen these (demo & D/R), but I haven't seen them behind non switchable buttons. What in the world?

Some people glue on an extension to the sticks to give it more definition.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:20 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Hak 305 Coax

Heli Pad,
You are not the only one who spoke too soon. I did too!The HAK 305 now acts like a squirrel on adrenaline.
Will not lift off, just spins crazily ubtil it tips over. Unable to correct the spin. Careful examination shows some nicks on the blades and scoring on the rotor shaft where it can be seen coming up from the tube that is molded into the frame. This tube moves slightly, i.e., is not rigid in the frame.
The rotor shaft is sloppy in this tube also. When the rotors spin up they are not tracking smoothly.
Lots of vibration. Wish I could find out if others owning this helis are having the same problems.
I really don't know if my problems are due to crash damage or poor quality manufacture.
Dave
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
I'm not familiar with this model, but I am with a similar one. I have a guess, but I don't want to speak too soon.

Check my blog for an article on "pivot pin" and let me know what you think.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:58 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Hak 305 Coax

Heli Pad,
I carefully read your blog on "pivot pin" and examined the HAK carefully, following your blog guidelines on the subject. That is not the problem. I believe that part of the problem may be the non-rigidity of the main tube imbedded in the upper frame thru which the rotor shafts come. To see if this might be part of the problem, this a.m. I placed a fillet of epoxy around the tube where it exits the frame. I will let it cure for a couple of days and then try to fly it.

I KNOW it will FLY, it did admirably until this vibration problem cropped up. If that does not help then I guess it will be the scrap bin or just shelve it until such parts become available for replacement (if ever).

Pity I did not know in advance about the Syma 107 before my daughters bought me this, I could have advised them not to buy a heli in a mall! Although that is not always applicable, someone on the Coax thread stated they had seen Syma's in a mall.

I will keep in touch. Thanks much for your help.
Dave
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:30 PM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
203 Posts
Hak 305 Coax

I have shelved the HAK for good. There is no parts support and in all likelihood never will be. I'm not sure why the excessive rotor vibration came about, it may have been lack of bearings in the rotor shaft tube but there is no way to get a look at the bottom of this shaft without pulling the large gears off. The rotor holders are tightly pressed on to the shafts.
I also noticed that when the throttle was up and the yaw control was moved for right yaw, I could hear the change in one motor speed, but not so in the other direction. So, whatever the cause, sloppy rotor shafts, motor going bad, maybe even a bad board, the HAK is kaput.
Case closed.
Dave