HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Question
What's the best First Electric Glider purchase (Tx-R)?

Hi,
I've learned how to fly using RealFlight for a couple of months now and now I want to get out and fly! I've been thinking about an electric sailplane but would like to know what is the best flying plane and value out there.
I've researched:
ParkZone Radian Pro
Flyzone Calypso
ZD 383
Multiplex Hotliner

Any suggestions? I've got a Dx6i, but would need everything else.
Thanks!
ss100jag is offline Find More Posts by ss100jag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:37 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
Classic Radian, hands down the best!
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,525 Posts
Hi, ss100jag.

The basic Radian would be a bit better than the Calypso or Radian pro. I would not suggest either of the other two as a first plane. Regardless of which glider you choose, the very best thing you can do is find an experienced pilot to help you out. A simulator gets one closer to flying than what could be accomplished without them but there's no real substitute for an instructor. It's possible to learn on your own but the learning curve is a hell of a lot steeper. Having an experienced pilot take the first trimming flight or flights alone is worth seeking him/her out.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:52 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,657 Posts
Out of the planes you have researched I would recommend the Calypso but only in the RxR version.
I have owned radians (multiple!) a Radian Pro as well as a Calypso and they all fly well but do have their differences. The original Radians were great flyers although a bit too flexible for my tastes but you cant beat the value it provides. the Radian Pro was good but did not float anywhere as well as the Radian.
My favorite to date is the Calypso, and getting back to the RxR version it all has to do with the one very small antenna on the Tactic receiver. The small antenna caused occasional loss off signal at altitudes above 1200'. I have flown the Calypso with a Spektrum radio as well as its current Futaba 2.4 to over 1800' and for over an hour without problems. Many people have their opinions as to which is "best" but it all comes down to what you feel is best for you, continue your research and decide on what YOU want by listening to all but obeying none
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Classic Radian, hands down the best!
+100 maybe more. You will not regret it.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,525 Posts
I mostly agree with cooper. I have not flown a Radian but I think there are better first planes than the Calypso if you are indeed going to try and learn on your own. Many of us have found that it does not fly itself out of the box. I've been flying for nearly 50 years and I have never come closer to "lawn darting" a glider on the first test toss.

Those of us who comment here will give you all the advice you can stand but advice has limits. Let us know where you live and it's entirely possible one of us lives in your neighborhood. If not? We can suggest ways to find a club and/or flying site where you could go mingle.

Finally, a note on radio and electronic setups:

I would not buy a package that includes a receiver unless it's, in your case, a name brand Spectrum compatible. Even if you do not currently have a receiver you would be better served, IMO, to get a "receiver ready" (commonly called "PNP for plug-n-play.) plane and purchase the receiver of your choice separately. To be honest, there are few packages where the included receivers, batteries, and chargers are really bargains.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh