Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Feb 2009
255 Posts
Discussion
fuel tank set up for gas

ok this is my first gas set up so have a question i got a 20cc engine and fit a 16oz tank and my question is do gas set ups run a pressure line to the muffler ? the muffler has no pressure tap so do i need to add one if not what do i do with the vent line ?

thanks for the help
SWAMPER is offline Find More Posts by SWAMPER
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:19 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,453 Posts
Normally one does not use muffler pressure with a gasoline engine setup. I suggest using a three line setup for the fuel tank, one line is the fuel line, one line is for the vent and the third line is for refueling and defueling the fuel tank. I use a large loop or two for the vent line so that the fuel doesn't siphon out if the plane is inverted.

The gasoline engines use a pump carburetor so they do not need muffler pressure. You can pretty much place the fuel tank any place inside of the airplane as the pump in the carb draws the fuel for the engine and provides the fuel at a constant pressure via the fuel regulator to the engine.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:21 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Muffler pressure

No.. No muffler pressure needed. Gas carbs have pumps in them and no help needed to draw the gas.. A lot of folks have their way of doing it, but I put a T in the line from the tank to the carb to fill and empty the tank with and a vent line out the bottom of the model. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPER View Post
ok this is my first gas set up so have a question i got a 20cc engine and fit a 16oz tank and my question is do gas set ups run a pressure line to the muffler ? the muffler has no pressure tap so do i need to add one if not what do i do with the vent line ?

thanks for the help
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Last edited by BrianSmith; Jan 16, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:11 AM
United States, TX, Lake Jackson
Joined Aug 2011
81 Posts
Don't foget the fuel line and rubber stopper in the tank. They need to be gas safe. Dubro makes a red rubber stopper that is gas safe and saleTygon tubing for the fuel lines. With gas engines you will need to change your internal tank line about every 6 months to year. Buna fuel line inside the tank probabaly works better than Tygon.
tpasztor is offline Find More Posts by tpasztor
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:07 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,815 Posts
As a side note on vents.... Many if not most of the new trimmers, leaf blowers etc. use a one way valve to control vapor coming from the fuel tank. It lets air in but nothing coming out. It might be something to explore???

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:18 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,216 Posts
when we first ran smoke,we used an empty metal fuel filter with a BB in it..The filter is the type that opens for cleaning...We removed the screen and added the BB (or ball bearing).When the tank pressure became negative while running , it lifted the ball enough to allow the tank to vent..
It was our way of preventing leakage when at rest. The filter must be mounted vertically,and it seals when inverted also.
The newer 'check valves' prevent gas odor and spillage inside storage areas.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:59 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
Viton is the stuff to use inside the tank. Tygon is good for the rest of the system but it does harden and will require periodic replacement.

You can use a three line system as described, or a two-line system where the fuel fill joins the engine supply line with a T fitting, like so:

Looping the vent line over the top of the tank and down the side will prevent gas from leaking out the vent line when you don't want it to.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
The idea of using a one way valve to prevent fuel draining on downlines sounds good, BUT, it can make for problems filling the tank.
The loop of fuel line on top of the tank goes a long, long way to eliminating the problem, BUT the loop should extend a little beyond the rear of the tank, so the loop will be the highest point in the vent line on downlines.

SWAMPER,
A 16 oz. tank is an awful lot of fuel for a 20cc gas engine. This another thing about gas engines you'll really get to like!
My last gas conversion of a glow bird to 20cc gas could only take a 10 oz. tank when I relocated the tank to make room for the ignition module. I flew 12 minute flights with that setup and had plenty of fuel left at the end of a flight
Best of luck with your first gasser!
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:09 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,453 Posts
I like using the third line to avoid introducing air bubbles into the fuel inlet line going to the carb. Sometimes those pesky air bubbles can cause a lot of hassle getting them out of the carb. You know holding the airplane at different attitudes with the engine running to work them out. Having an air bubble stall the engine on take off is a bummer.
But I do have a couple of planes setup with just a two line fuel tank along with a Tee for refueling or draining the tank.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I like using the third line to avoid introducing air bubbles into the fuel inlet line going to the carb. Sometimes those pesky air bubbles can cause a lot of hassle getting them out of the carb. You know holding the airplane at different attitudes with the engine running to work them out. Having an air bubble stall the engine on take off is a bummer.
But I do have a couple of planes setup with just a two line fuel tank along with a Tee for refueling or draining the tank.
Earl,

I believe this is the main justification for using a felt clunk.
It prevents anything but liquid fuel, from going into the fuel-line, until the tank is virtually empty and there's no fuel to soak-up into the felt.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:57 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Viton

Where are you seeing/getting Viton? Thanks Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosbeak View Post
Viton is the stuff to use inside the tank. Tygon is good for the rest of the system but it does harden and will require periodic replacement.

You can use a three line system as described, or a two-line system where the fuel fill joins the engine supply line with a T fitting, like so:

Looping the vent line over the top of the tank and down the side will prevent gas from leaking out the vent line when you don't want it to.
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
I get my Viton from Thunderbolt RC here in Canada - I highly recommend them. I bet they'd even ship to the States if you asked them nicely.

In the US, I found some for sale at Red Aero RC.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
i always use a check-valve in the vent line along with a T to open it up while fueling.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Where are you seeing/getting Viton? Thanks Brian
Several more sources for Viton. BTW a 16oz. fuel tank should give you a lot of flight time. I have a 12oz. tank for my dle 20 and can get almost 20 min.

http://www.pspmfg.com/

http://www.shop.kavarootusa.com/prod...&categoryId=19
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:19 AM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,029 Posts
I buy my Viton here. They have really good prices and size selection.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#viton-fluor...tubing/=l0gwv6
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII