Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:08 AM
It's all about Quadcopters
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Nov 2012
359 Posts
Discussion
Need some upgrade advice

Hi

I have built a quadcopter using Turnigy D2638/8 motors with 10x4.5 props and now I want to upgrade my X550 frame to this frame for fpv but I've noticed in all the pictures I've seen they seem to be running smaller props and motors.

Will mine be suitable or does anyone recommend another type of motor?
I'm running on 3S batteries with 30amp ESC's
ecreative is offline Find More Posts by ecreative
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:17 AM
Woof!
Denmark, Region Zealand, Roskilde
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
If there's not too much of a difference in weight between the old and new frame, you will most probably be quite OK. Actually, the recommandation on the page you link to (new frame), they say:

-Biggest propeller can be used: 12-inch, usually we use 10.11 inch ones

Now this is where the recommandations become 'problematical':

-Recommended motor: 2212.2216.4006.5005
The first 3 are at best ambiguous/indistinct, as it's just types/makes of motors, which all come with different kV numbers. To me it's like recommending that you should buy a Toyota, but not telling if it's a Land Cruiser or a family sedan.

If you're in doubt, or if you'd really like to find another combination of motors/propellers, which will work for a new frame, check out eCalc - it's really sweet.
I could not see the weight of the new frame on that page, maybe someone else knows?

There's another page with a similar frame; they list the weight as 112g (the tab called 'Additional Information', which I think is not true; the figure is simply too low to be true
Great_Dane is offline Find More Posts by Great_Dane
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreative View Post
Will mine be suitable
In my opinion, it should be totaly suitable.

Turnigy D2638/8
Battery: 2~4 Cell
RPM: 1100kv
Max current: 18A
Max power: 336W
Weight: 70g (including connectors)

This motor is light and power is interesting.
You may use 9", 10" or 11" propellers, according to your quad's UAW and wished stability.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply