HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kmot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:50 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,596 Posts
Discussion
Foam airplanes suck...

I was going to get this Jenny ready to fly again. It has been hanging up in my workshop for a couple of years.

I was removing the battery from the cowl, when the fuselage crumbled.

The Lil' Rascal, on the other hand, is the same vintage but made from balsa wood and it is still fit as a fiddle.

The guys paying $300 and up for those foam airplanes being sold today are really going to hate it in a couple of years.

Balsa planes last forever.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:36 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,600 Posts
yes, but foam tech is getting better! Different foams will last longer... especially against UV. That is the biggest killer for foam. If you go to an event or just a long day at the field NEVER leave a foam plane in the sun... ever. My old PZ corsair is still going strong and its now 4 years old. EPO foam is great stuff.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:02 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,596 Posts
Admittedly, I do not know what the different foam compositions are all about. I hope the new formula's (EPO?) or whatever they are, are much better than the E-Flite Jenny was made from.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:48 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,600 Posts
Looks like EPS (Expanded PolyStyrene) rather than EPO (Expanded PolyOlefin). Lighter but more fragile. I would love to get my grubby mitts on some spyder foam.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,869 Posts
Hey Kmot...Haven't heard from you in a while I hope all is well, I'm w/ you WOOD is better in my book also although I have been finding some of the guys like J MORGAN'S building style and speed quit remarkable and have learn a great deal from watching him and then applying it to my WOOD build.
check out his latest build,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799004
the guys very good and has done about five planes and I haven't even finished the
P-38 or the Mossie.
WELL POP OVER SOME TIME AND CHECK MY SLOW PROGRESS.
I've been working the 38 mostly since the new year.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25