HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:24 PM
CarterDave060
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Copyright infringement. It is temporarily hidden while CarterDave060 edits it.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
reserved
CarterDave060 is offline Find More Posts by CarterDave060
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
reserved
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
reserved
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:48 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Hey this will be great to watch - especially since you will be able to compare to a 'real' S800!

If the frame is really 'the same' as the DJI S800, then the only differences to consider will be the differences between the motors and the speed controllers! Like you mentioned, I suspect the SimonK-flashed speed controllers will actually out-perform the DJI stock ones!

I read that MOST of the RCTimer speed controllers do not have the 16hz oscillator and they do not use all N-Fets, and that is why they aren't usually recommended as the best option.

But I also read that these RCTimer ESC's DO use an oscillator (albeit 8hz) which should help prevent 'drift' due to temperature changes. I still do not know whether these ESC's use all N-Fets. Do you know?
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
It will be fun to watch for sure. The first thing that struck my mind after reading the start of this thread is that you are a rctimer employee or something. Have seen videos on youtube that the s800 copy from rctimer isnt the same quality at all. But will be fun to watch for sure please do some videos with you commenting cheers
mseather is offline Find More Posts by mseather
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
I suspect the SimonK-flashed speed controllers will actually out-perform the DJI stock ones!
thomwalao is offline Find More Posts by thomwalao
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseather View Post
It will be fun to watch for sure. The first thing that struck my mind after reading the start of this thread is that you are a rctimer employee or something. Have seen videos on youtube that the s800 copy from rctimer isnt the same quality at all. But will be fun to watch for sure please do some videos with you commenting cheers

hmm. could be employee.... OR could be long time user who doesn't want to be blacklisted by DJI and who is disgruntled by their terrible customer service and communication over several matters for years. Could a non primary language person use grammer and punctuation like I do ? English is my first language and I live in Cali . thats all I'm prepared to say. ill be building this thing over the next couple of weeks and believe me if its crap ill say so. I have only honest opinions upcoming.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Looking impressive Like DJI S800, but the package is not that good.

Where did you take the two? in USA?

Why not only take one to have a try firstly? I want to have a look at the performance firstly.
Lovingflying is offline Find More Posts by Lovingflying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts

I always hate the copy sh**t, bad quality..........
Wise people will chose the original product, safty and good quality will always be the first..............
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterDave060 View Post
I have bought 2 S800's from RCtimer . Xmas deal of 850 USD each = 1700 for 2. less than one from DJI.
I will be doing a build log here, as I plan to do :
unboxing photos
Carbon bar / sheath / epoxy resin upgrade to arms
prop change adaptors from Secraft
Secraft retracts install . DJI are vastly overpriced

I am new to this forum. I DO however already own the original DJI S800. It has been subject to numerous recalls and I have had no FODs but I feel lucky in this matter. I do like the DJI S800 but I consider it to have several obvious and silly design flaws :

ARMS / connectors / crappy props etc etc and consider it to be vastly overpriced . Hence the purchase of 2 S800 "clones " for evaluation.

First impressions : this is NO CLONE. This will be a backdoor of factory knockoff. I have original and clone and there is no difference visble. However The ESCs are different and contain the ATMEGA8L 8AU 1229D chip. I suspect performance may exceed original due to SimonK FW. I fly Simonk on smaller quads and performance is much better than other FW's.

I will be installing a WKM / Z15n and DJI OSD in time.
more to follow.....
Fly style is offline Find More Posts by Fly style
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
@Fly Style :

I'd have to agree actually. BUT This is no "copy" . close inspection of both original and clone reveals things that make me honestly believe they are made in the same factory.

and good quality of the original as you put it would imply that none of the arm mods that people have been forced to do to reduce terrible vibraitons induced by cheap nasty plastic injection molded materials would have been nescessary ? If not for the amazing technology of the z15 the s800 would be useless. everyone who has tried to put a traditional gimbal on one has seen the vibrations go off the scale. But, for 850 USD and some TLC in the workshop I believe these RCtimer frames may be good value. I will be modding the arms prior to flying so no b4 and after comparisons I'm afraid.
Last edited by CarterDave060; Jan 06, 2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:58 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly style View Post

I always hate the copy sh**t, bad quality..........
Wise people will chose the original product, safty and good quality will always be the first..............
Ignorance like this is why DJI is thriving.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:37 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
738 Posts
Time will tell if this thread is legit given low posts vs a build thread???
koolkiwikat is online now Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:51 AM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
hi all just butting in from oz here, I have purchased a rctimer s800 and find it an great hex to fly, my mate has a DJI s800 and im waiting until he has a spare minute to compare the two as soon as i have i will give a report, but as far as first impressions go this is a great buy, flys smooth esc's + motors don't even break a sweat however i dont have any gimble on it yet so only time will tell
Dannyp47 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyp47
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:58 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
I can never get the rctimer website to work - what is up with that?
boranup is offline Find More Posts by boranup
Closed Thread