HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:52 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,571 Posts
Page 2 of this document describes the fate of the tug...
http://crm.cr.nps.gov/archive/12-4/12-4-all.pdf

"...the Museum's acceptance of the vessel was ill-advised because it did
not have either the facilities, manpower, or money necessary for the total rebuilding
required to restore Seguin". You can guess the rest...

The article goes on to say that as much of the tug as possible was documented... but I've never seen anything published. And I heard that the pilot house was kept at the museum, but again, never saw any photos. Would be nice...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:01 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Pat, the Seguin was too far gone for the museum, or anyone else for that matter, to try restoration.

They saved the engine, galley stove, the stem and sternpost, and the pilothouse, scrapping the rest.

Last seen, the pilothouse was serving either as a refreshment stand or ticket booth---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
This information is not the orginal Sequin

http://vessel-ship.findthedata.org/l/19548/Seguin

I beleive that the orginal Sequin was built in the late 1884 and was a steam tug 1200Hp.
I don't have my On the Haswer in front of me but it was wooden hull, 88 ft long and 18 to 19 ft beam, if my memory serves me correct.

The maine maritime museum (next to bath iron works) was originally a ship building location (built allot of the down east lumber schooners. The only exterior part of the Sequin (at least about 15 years ago, when my second wife and I got married) is the pilot house which is used as an Ice cream stand during the summer, and I also did not have the forward thinking to take a picture of since none of the roof details were attached., because who would know what it was since there was no sign identifying what vessel it came from.

The maritime museum planned to restore the vessel but as things progressed the hull was beyond repair. Their plans from what I understand, was to restore it to 1912 or 1914 paint configuration which was the most documented and is part of the Midwest instruction. What is interesting is the Midwest 1/32 does not include the pilot house chicken (rooster) but the Blue Jacket 1/48 does.

I am looking forwad to this Thread - it will not help so much for the Fiber glass hull models but will intersting on the building the 1/48 version of this tug. By the way Bluejacket has 2 sizes of sweep wing eagles the larger painted gold would sure look good on the pilothouse roof would provide and excellent period marking as this was on allot of east coast tugs from Baltimore north up to about 1920.

Beat my gums enough,
Happiness,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Last edited by rlboats2003; Jan 06, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,272 Posts
According to some old newspaper clips on the web, the Seguin was derelict for several years before acceptance. It's fate may have already been hopless before she could be saved.

Top ten words that signal a boat restoration is doomed.

10. Volunteers
9. University
8. Committee
7. Fundraiser
6. Grant
5. Donation
4. Society
3. Illness
2. Court
1. SOON!
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:46 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Patman:
Yes the decks and cabin are bass wood, it looks like the only thing that is balsa are the planks and bulk walks and a few other parts.

Day two I've found with this kit that all parts are cut just a bit larger than the plans all notch points are cut just a little small, witch works for me because I can sand back or open up the notches for a very good fit of the parts before I glue it up.

P.S. Thanks guy for all that info on the Seguin, it may come in handy.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:10 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Page 2 of this document describes the fate of the tug...
http://crm.cr.nps.gov/archive/12-4/12-4-all.pdf

"...the Museum's acceptance of the vessel was ill-advised because it did
not have either the facilities, manpower, or money necessary for the total rebuilding
required to restore Seguin". You can guess the rest...

The article goes on to say that as much of the tug as possible was documented... but I've never seen anything published. And I heard that the pilot house was kept at the museum, but again, never saw any photos. Would be nice...
The Maine Maritime Museum used to -- and may still -- sell drawings. I have a set from them, which I need to dig out and review, but I believe I have the hull lines, outboard profile and plan views, as well as some construction details.

I will update after I have checked them out. Just located the tube they are in the other day.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:12 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,571 Posts
If you need someone to scan them, I'm there for you!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:16 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,091 Posts
The last time I was at the museum the pilot house was no longer there. However inside the main building just past the doorway to the gift shop is a room designed to be a tug pilothouse and although they don't say so it is the right size and age (you can tell by the woodwork). and is definitely the inside of a tug. Kind of bare compaired to todays equipement.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:13 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
544 Posts
I'll be watching...I have the Midwest, all wood, in the orginal box. Even the wood is still in it's plastic bags. It wiil be the next boat I'll be starting. I'm working on a Dean's Marine USS Kidd now.

By the way, I picked up the Seguin kit from one of our club members for $75.00 a couple of years ago.
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:43 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRider05 View Post
I'll be watching...I have the Midwest, all wood, in the orginal box. Even the wood is still in it's plastic bags. It wiil be the next boat I'll be starting. I'm working on a Dean's Marine USS Kidd now.

By the way, I picked up the Seguin kit from one of our club members for $75.00 a couple of years ago.
WingRider, you grabbed a BARGOON there---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:23 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Seguin Drawings

I opened up my "tube" from Maine Maritime Museum. First off, the plastic endcaps kept away any rodents and silverfish that sometimes damage paper stored in locations such as garages, etc.

I have the following drawings:

Hull lines drawing, 3/8" = 1' [1:37.5], D. B. Wyman, March 3, 1979;

Deck Construction, 3/8" = 1' [1:37.5], L.Proctor, April 30, 1980, basic 1909 - 1915 layout developed from: "As Found Deck Construction Drawing, 8 April, 1980

This drawing shows deck beams, gussets, frame locations and construction of a typical frame.. It does not show deck planking. However, several section views this and on other drawings show plank width and deck camber.

Construction Drawing (Inboard Profile) D.B. Wyman, March 21, 1979: 3/8" = 1' [1:37.5], Circa 1909 - 1915. Drawing developed from measurements taken January 27 & 28, May 10-11, and October 22, 1978

Outboard Profile D.B. Wyman, July 19, 1979; 3/8" = 1' [1:37.5], Circa 1909 - 1915. Drawing developed from measurements taken January 27 & 28, May 10-11, and October 22, 1978 and the plan of D. Crocket, May 1, 1977 This drawing does not show hull planking lines, but does show the rub rails, cabin side planks and the infamous Rooster.

General Arrangement (Plan View Main Deck Level, Cabin Roof Level, Below decks arrangement) D.B. Wyman, March 17, 1979: 3/8" = 1' [1:37.5], Circa 1909 - 1915. Drawing developed from measurements taken January 27 & 28, May 10-11, and October 22, 1978

As I surmised in my prior post, there is sufficient information here to build a model, using the lines drawing to develop the bulkheads. The keel, bow and sternpost are shown in detail in the inboard profile drawing, as are locations of cabin and pilot house rafters. While hull planking is not identified on the outboard profile, the hull planking is shown in several sectional views that could be used to determine the number and width of hull planks. Also the fact that the garboard strakes are thicker and wider than the other hull planks.

Pat Matthews -- The drawings are still offered for sale by the Maine Maritime Museum, so I would not post them; but we could discuss them being sent to you 'on loan' to scan for your personal use. Additional Seguin drawings are also available. You can find them, along with many other interesting sets of drawings in the Main Maritime Museum Vessel Plans Catalog at this link: http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/m...anscatalog.pdf

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Last edited by P_J_Glor; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:10 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Will be updating this thread, had to get new wood, for the kit is so old that the wood needed to be replaced, it was all dry and brittle and some of it like the decks had shrank up to a 1/4" in size, I don't think the maker of the kit would have undercut it that much.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:06 AM
Fleet 4 Commanders
United States, IL, Tinley Park
Joined Jun 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropanach View Post
Will be updating this thread, had to get new wood, for the kit is so old that the wood needed to be replaced, it was all dry and brittle and some of it like the decks had shrank up to a 1/4" in size, I don't think the maker of the kit would have undercut it that much.
Any progress? I'm still working on the motivation to start mine!

John
johnnyoverkill is offline Find More Posts by johnnyoverkill
Old May 14, 2013, 05:33 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
I thought I would give some back round on a person by the name of EDWARD ĎTEDí STINSON, who was one of the back bones of the modeling, especially model boating, to come down the pike. I had the privilege to work with Ted, thru M.A.C.K. PRODUCTS, on developing the radio control power packages for his newly started LAUGHING WHALE line of boats. This was back in the early 1990ís, and the model boat kits were originally part of an art gallery which Ted was starting. The model kits soon out grew the gallery, and it was off to the races with the model boat kits.

Tedís line of boats grew and grew, each being carefully designed, and I might add ready to adapt to radio control. With Ted being ever the business man, he made a lot of his boats in different scales, as well as designing hulls to be the basic design for various type models. Ted at the top of his game, either made contact, or was approached, by two other companies, MIDWEST PRODUCTS as well as BLUEJACKET SHIP CRAFTERS to purchase some of his most popular designs. Some of the designs some how were obtained by both companies, the SEGUIN Tug being one of them. Bluejacket Ship Crafters built the Seguin Tug in two different scales just as Ted had designed them.

Midwest Products obtained the rights for many of the, what I like to call, 3 OFFS, which is that three different model were built with one basic hull form. Another of the companies to benefit from the STINSON models was DUMAS BOATS, who had limited success with the RANGELEY.

After selling off the LAUGHING WHALE Company, Ted proceeded to start another model company called NORTHEAST MODEL PRODUCTS, which is still doing business today , but having branched out into other facets of modeling such as , model trains, model air craft, and modeling supplies.

Yes MR. STINSON is on the short list of innovators who made the hobby what it is today, and he did it with WOOD KITS!!! My HERO!!!!

All:
I just traded some e-mails with Ted Stinson... apparently an accident has put him and the business out of commission. He says he plans to restart at some point, perhaps in a more limited capacity... I hope so, as it would be shame to be sidelined like that. Not to mention, it gets harder and harder to get some of these old designs!
Old May 15, 2013, 09:02 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
I wonder, would he consider putting it in his will that the plans are to be released under the GNU, Copyleft or Creative Commons License upon his passing or maybe doing it himself at an earlier date??
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member