HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:52 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Build Log
Seguin Build

Well I got the sheet boat 98% done, so it's off onto another adventure, ( in my mind anyway) It will be the Seguin, not that it hasn't be done before But I've got this old kit that has been kicking around sense 1984, thought it was about time I glued it up.
It's a plank on frame from THE LAUGHING WHALE, don't know if they still are in the boat kit manufacturing or not.
Here are some starter pic's just to wet the appetite.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2006
886 Posts
are you going to paint it or finish it with the wood showing?
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:31 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,730 Posts
I have an old 1/48 scale kit up in the rafters.

Laughing Whale sold part of their line to Bluejacket, and part of it to Midwest, then started another model company whose name escapes me at the moment.

Now I remember---, Freedom Song Boatworks---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Last edited by der kapitan; Jan 06, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:54 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,293 Posts
I have the Midwest/LW plans, with all the frames... would love to do it in 1:24! (Midwest kit is 1:32).
...got a lot of those kinds of projects queued up...

Rop, you'll enjoy it! Lots of different ways to finish this model.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:47 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
hazegry:
I think I'll paint this one.balsa wood just don't look right stained out and polished.

der Capitan:
Is this a 1:48th scale at 39 1/2", I use to have a formula for figuring out the scale, oh well to much math messes with the brain.

patman:
I like this kit already, it's all wood. I have a Carol Morgan, but I can't pull the trigger on this one because of the plastic hull, I may make up a set of plans to make it plank on frame.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:55 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,293 Posts
Rop- Your kit is 1:32 (3/8" = 1') at that length, same as the standard Midwest kit with either wood or fiberglass hulls.

The hull planking and deck house sheathing are basswood in the Midwest kit... is yours really balsa? Varnished basswood looks pretty nice. The real Seguin went from bare or varnished wood to several different paint schemes over her life...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:50 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Rop- Your kit is 1:32 (3/8" = 1') at that length, same as the standard Midwest kit with either wood or fiberglass hulls.
Pat, what I have is a wood kit in 1/48 scale, about 28" long, and I think it may still be sold by Bluejacket under one banner or another.

Microglass still produces the 39" fiberglass hull for the Seguin, which at one point was "pirated" by Midwest---.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:08 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,445 Posts
Midwest Pirates !

No sudden moves or Young Microglass here gets it !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:09 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropanach View Post
Here are some starter pic's just to wet the appetite.
Looking forward to This build !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:16 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,030 Posts
Having built the Midwest with the glass hull I'll be interested in this tread. I have both kits in my pile of stuff.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,700 Posts
I thought I would give some back round on a person by the name of EDWARD ĎTEDí STINSON, who was one of the back bones of the modeling, especially model boating, to come down the pike. I had the privilege to work with Ted, thru M.A.C.K. PRODUCTS, on developing the radio control power packages for his newly started LAUGHING WHALE line of boats. This was back in the early 1990ís, and the model boat kits were originally part of an art gallery which Ted was starting. The model kits soon out grew the gallery, and it was off to the races with the model boat kits.

Tedís line of boats grew and grew, each being carefully designed, and I might add ready to adapt to radio control. With Ted being ever the business man, he made a lot of his boats in different scales, as well as designing hulls to be the basic design for various type models. Ted at the top of his game, either made contact, or was approached, by two other companies, MIDWEST PRODUCTS as well as BLUEJACKET SHIP CRAFTERS to purchase some of his most popular designs. Some of the designs some how were obtained by both companies, the SEGUIN Tug being one of them. Bluejacket Ship Crafters built the Seguin Tug in two different scales just as Ted had designed them.

Midwest Products obtained the rights for many of the, what I like to call, 3 OFFS, which is that three different model were built with one basic hull form. Another of the companies to benefit from the STINSON models was DUMAS BOATS, who had limited success with the RANGELEY.

After selling off the LAUGHING WHALE Company, Ted proceeded to start another model company called NORTHEAST MODEL PRODUCTS, which is still doing business today , but having branched out into other facets of modeling such as , model trains, model air craft, and modeling supplies.

Yes MR. STINSON is on the short list of innovators who made the hobby what it is today, and he did it with WOOD KITS!!! My HERO!!!!
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:38 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]I thought I would give some back round on a person by the name of EDWARD ĎTEDí STINSON, who was one of the back bones of the modeling, especially model boating, to come down the pike. I had the privilege to work with Ted, thru M.A.C.K. PRODUCTS, on developing the radio control power packages for his newly started LAUGHING WHALE line of boats. This was back in the early 1990ís
Rich, didn't you mean the early 1980's---? Stinson goes way back farther than the 1990's---.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,700 Posts
KAP- You are right. Ted started his second company NORTHEAST MODEL PRODUCTS over 25 years ago, which puts LAUGHING WHALE back between 30 and 40 years ago. Man, does that make me feel old.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
I've been looking for the history of the tug Seguin and all I turn up is info on varios models, nothing on the real tug. Can someone please p
oint me in the right direction?
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Last edited by Predreadnut; Jan 06, 2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: stupid keyboard correcting me
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,700 Posts
You might want to start here on the internet and search for the Seguin tug boat.
http://vessel-ship.findthedata.org/l/19548/Seguin

]
Last edited by frankg; Jan 06, 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: wrong answer to question