HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by u2builder, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:20 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Discussion
Scratch Built FPV Plane

Rebel Twin Boom
Here's a scratch built Twin Boom plane designed for FPV. The basic concept is from Waldo, a flying buddy.

It is made from EPP foam with Flying Foam Clark Y wing cores, 10" chord, 72" long. There are two CF spars on the top and the bottom of the wing. There is no dihedral. The wing is very stiff and strong.

The fuselage is made from 9mm EPP with a 1/16" ply floor and 1/4" basswood stiffeners on the top edges.

The wings and fuselage were sprayed with 3M 99 adhesive, painted, sprayed with 3M 99 again, and covered with 5mm Docolam.

Tailfeathers were orginally made from solid 1/4" balsa but the CG was hopeless far aft so I tossed them, stick built some new ones, and covered them with Monokote. These pushers can't take much weight out on the end of the boom.

Ailerons were made from aileron stock but these too were too heavy for my taste so I made them from balsa sheeted foam with a balsa spar.

All in all the new parts weighed half what the solid ones weighed. Booms are made from a couple of my sons cheapo CF golf clubs that were missing the club part. They said "Rebel" on them so I'll call this plane the "Rebel". I like the name.

I decided to add a landing gear. Rear is made form 1/8" aluminum sheet and the front is a castoring wire gear.

Servo's are Futaba S-3004's partially recessed into the foam wings and hot glued. I had started with some lighter servos but replaced them for more security.

Motor is a 3548-09Y from Heads UP RC and ESC is an EMAX 50 switchable BEC from the same place. I was originally going to use a Scorpion 3008-32 but the plane came out a bit heavy so I decided to put a bigger motor on it.

AUW with 2 2300 mah 3S Lipos is 4.5 pounds without any FPV gear.

The plane flies very nicely and seems quite efficient. It has a gentle stall and flies very slowly on the big wing. It is a pussy cat to land.

I have recently added FPV gear consisting of an Immersion 600mW, 5.8 TX, 600 TVL camera by Security Camera, and Skylark Tiny III OSD. I haven't flown it FPV because winter closed in on me.

Edit: Winter is over, but I haven't flown FPV yet with the Rebel. I am in the process of replacing the Tiny III OSD with an ET system with Guardian and Altimeter to provide a little more "security".
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Last edited by u2builder; May 11, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2013, 11:04 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
886 Posts
Nice plane! Did you fpv it??
corsair2014 is offline Find More Posts by corsair2014
Old May 29, 2013, 01:54 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Thanks. I built it for FPV a couple of years ago but never flew it FPV, just LOS. It flies very nicely. I have just outfitted with some decent FPV gear but haven't really set up the ET stuff yet. I have a Penguin also set up for FPV. I have had only one FPV flight with a plane and it was pretty scary, though I have had quite a few flights last fall with my quadcopter , which was comparatively pretty easy. The weather this Spring in NH has been terrible, with winds every Sunday during our club day and I don't really want to do FPV without a spotter with a plane.

Hopefully I'll get to the "REBEL" this year. It has a lot of space inside the fuselage, basically the entire pod. It is bascially a box made out of 9mm EPP with a plywood floor and back to mount the engine, and the entire plane is covered with Doculam laminate so it is pretty rugged.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 09:37 AM
United States, NH, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Hello Moving to area

Hello u2builder
My name is Cody and I will be moving to the town of Keene NH in the spring from Orlando Florida and I am Looking for a field to move to. Just wondering how often your club meets as i am an avid club flyer and love a good round of RC combat.
looking forward to hearing from you.
deepseadiver1 is offline Find More Posts by deepseadiver1
Old Oct 07, 2013, 02:59 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hi Cory,

We have a great field in Surry, NH a few miles north of Keene. (Except in the fall when we move to a different field closer to Keene). Club meets on Sunday but field is open M,W,Th,F,Sa,Sun. Maybe everyday next year. All types of planes: electric, nitro, gas, heli's, multicopters, whatever flies. About 20 members but only about 6-8 usually show on any given Sunday. No combat but who knows, maybe someone will want to give it a try!