SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:09 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,234 Posts
Question
What's the BEST frame for FPV?

To those who have lots of FPV experience, which is the best frame recommended?

secondly, to have a good FPV system, please recommend:
  1. Motors
  2. Props
  3. ESC
  4. Video Transmitter
  5. Video Camera
  6. TX Antenna
  7. Receiver side
  8. Goggle

And anything else needed.
Thanks!
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Last edited by BenHayat; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
652 Posts
Frame: hoverthings.com has 2 versions available. One was released early last year, and the newer version a few weeks ago. 

Motors: Avroto and RCTiger are good. Depending on build weight, flying style, etc. you can look at 700 to about 1000 kv. Check out Clubheli.com and MontoRC.com. 

Props: GemFan carbon-filled nylon are nice.

ESC: Simonk-flashed ESCs are getting good reviews. ZTW's are available pre-flashed at http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Mo...SC-SimonK.html

For video, check readymaderc.com...excellent support and selection. Much will depend on things like the distance you intend to fly, the terrain (open space, vs forest), etc. 
Video Transmitter
Video Camera
TX Antenna
Receiver side
Goggle
jpsabo is offline Find More Posts by jpsabo
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:54 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsabo View Post
Frame: hoverthings.com has 2 versions available. One was released early last year, and the newer version a few weeks ago. 

Motors: Avroto and RCTiger are good. Depending on build weight, flying style, etc. you can look at 700 to about 1000 kv. Check out Clubheli.com and MontoRC.com. 

Props: GemFan carbon-filled nylon are nice.

ESC: Simonk-flashed ESCs are getting good reviews. ZTW's are available pre-flashed at http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Mo...SC-SimonK.html

For video, check readymaderc.com...excellent support and selection. Much will depend on things like the distance you intend to fly, the terrain (open space, vs forest), etc. 
Video Transmitter
Video Camera
TX Antenna
Receiver side
Goggle
Thanks. can you elaborate what's the purpose of selecting lower KV when it comes to certain style of flying? In fact I see the lower the KV, thed more expensive the motors are. What's the relation?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
You should look into the TBS Discover frame as well, they have a lot of FPV videos up and a great frame.

Generally you can get better efficiency with larger props moving at slower speeds...

There isnt really one perfect setup, it all comes down to research!! Check out others builds forums posts, ect. I myself spent almost 1.5-2 years researching and gathering parts (slightly because quads arent cheap) Also your equipment kinda matters on your budget, you could spend a few hundred to thousands on a FPV Quadcopter, depends on what you want to use it for. Again research.

If you want you can check out my current build:
http://quadcopter.netreadydesign.com/
weldmonkey is offline Find More Posts by weldmonkey
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:04 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldmonkey View Post
You should look into the TBS Discover frame as well, they have a lot of FPV videos up and a great frame.

Generally you can get better efficiency with larger props moving at slower speeds...

There isnt really one perfect setup, it all comes down to research!! Check out others builds forums posts, ect. I myself spent almost 1.5-2 years researching and gathering parts (slightly because quads arent cheap) Also your equipment kinda matters on your budget, you could spend a few hundred to thousands on a FPV Quadcopter, depends on what you want to use it for. Again research.

If you want you can check out my current build:
http://quadcopter.netreadydesign.com/
Thanks! Yes, I've been in contact with Raphael.

Is it better to go with quad or Hexa for FPV?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
652 Posts
Also need to consider the flight controller, too. Some choices are based on MultiWii (Quadrino board and others), Naza, and OpenPilot CopterControl (original CC and new CC3D). All have good support and user-base.

One other place to check out is http://www.openpilot.org, which supports the CC and CC3D. Quite a few FPV'ers there.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
I'd say tri or quad. Less motors = more flight time. More motors = more lifting power.

Most cases with fpv you want to maximize your flight time.

I have a tricopter with 600kv tiger motors and 14" props. I can lift a t3i and still get 10 minute flights.
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
As far as a camera for fpv, I'd say go with a GoPro. It offers the ability to record decent quality video of your flight at the same time as giving you a video feed for flying. The GP2 would be fine if you can't afford a 3.

One trick I've learned is to power the gopro off of one of your ESCs bec. Create a cable that goes from the ground and power of the bec to a USB connector, and you can power the gopro that way and not have to ever worry about its battery dying on you.
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I've been in contact with Raphael.

Depends on the flying style want and how much wight you want to carry. If your just doing a small FPV camera or GoPro stick with a quadcopter, if you want to carry something heavy in addition to FPV like a DSLR camera you will need more propellers for more lift.

The more propellers you have the more stability and lift capacity but your also looking at more power consumption more to configure and troubleshoot ect. Also quads look a little more nimbull than hexa's.

If this is your first build I would say stick with a quad, look around at quads that have a proven success and model those. Think about your budget how far you want to fly ect. Calculate your estimated total weight based on the equipment you want to carry then look for a motor/prop combo that will give you a good efficiency for your weight, there are a number of forum posts and articles that you can find and use to help figure out what would be a good power setup based on your weight.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeaudio View Post
I'd say tri or quad. Less motors = more flight time. More motors = more lifting power.

I have a tricopter with 600kv tiger motors and 14" props. I can lift a t3i and still get 10 minute flights.
NICE!

Also FoxtechFpv.com now has a gopro 3 FPV adapter with power on it.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
652 Posts
Basically, lower Kv motors would be used with larger props. A 770 Kv Avroto on 3S is optimal with a12x3.8 APC slow-flyer. Lots of thrust to lift a large load. A 900 Kv RCTiger works well with 10 or 9 inch props, is better suited for a lighter build, but would be a bit more "sporty". Even more so as the build gets lighter and higher Kv motors are used (1100 Kv with 8 or 9 inch props).

Quote:
Thanks. can you elaborate what's the purpose of selecting lower KV when it comes to certain style of flying? In fact I see the lower the KV, thed more expensive the motors are. What's the relation?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
652 Posts
To get an idea of power requirements, prop size, thrust and motor, check out my blog. I did some static thrust tests with different props on the Avroto 770 Kv and RCTiger 900 Kv motors. While the motor selection is limited to those I use, I was able to look at a few different props.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:51 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeaudio View Post

Good point!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:55 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsabo View Post
To get an idea of power requirements, prop size, thrust and motor, check out my blog. I did some static thrust tests with different props on the Avroto 770 Kv and RCTiger 900 Kv motors. While the motor selection is limited to those I use, I was able to look at a few different props.
Thank you!