HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:49 PM
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,399 Posts
Question
Noob question alert about telemetry !!!!

Hello,
I been wanting to try a little bit of telemetry in some of my models but before commiting and changing all the Rxs and Tx module I’d like to ask you a question to see if this would be possible.
I’m Flying Futaba FASST (some of the models have FrSky FASST compatible Rxs) would it be possible (without changing my actual gear) to add another FrSky telemetry Rx and the module with the sensors, use the same batteries I have onboard to power them and then a stand alone screen on land to have telemetry?
Would the stand alone screen receive the data from the model or do they need to use the Tx in some way?
thanks for any input.
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Last edited by ferincr; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:03 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
364 Posts
You could fit a FrSky DHT-U module on your radio and a FrSky capable receiver like the D8R-XP or similar telemetry enabled RXs in your model. That will give you FrSky's ACCST telemetry system. The DHT-U module can either be connected via the trainer port or via a module port if your radio is a 9C,8C,7C type radio. For newer types of Futaba radios like 10C, 12FG etc you must use the trainer port.

All telemetry data would sent to the DHT-U display, nothing will go to your Futaba radio.

I'm about to do the same with my 12FG. Been waiting for more than a month now for the package with the DHT-U kit to arrive (probably lost in transit by now..). Was thinking of going with the Futaba FAASTest addon telemetry kit but the cost of their external display is just ridiculous. With FrSky you get the same and for a fraction of the cost.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Dec 2004
1,399 Posts
Thanks for your reply Thomas,
I'm using a 12 FG too. So I do need to replace the rx and module then.
That is what I thought but I don't want to change all my rx and having to swap modules all the time it's going to be a pain.
I'll think about it.
Thanks again,
Fernando
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:26 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Perform a real range check before, the way back of Frsky telemetry surely will disturb Futaba RC.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:07 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,026 Posts
If using the FrSky DHT-U module on the ground and the FrSky D8R-XP receiver, will I need more than DC power for the DHT-U module? In other words is the PPM bit stream needed? I plan to use a Futaba 50 MHz transmitter and receiver system for model control. All I am looking for is telemetry.
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:56 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
539 Posts
Check out "FrSky Android Dashboard" if you'd like to see your telemetry on a wireless color touch screen (your smartphone).
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined Dec 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
If using the FrSky DHT-U module on the ground and the FrSky D8R-XP receiver, will I need more than DC power for the DHT-U module? In other words is the PPM bit stream needed? I plan to use a Futaba 50 MHz transmitter and receiver system for model control. All I am looking for is telemetry.
That's was what I intended to do but it doesn't seem possible (I'm still not 100% sure though)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:12 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferincr View Post
That's was what I intended to do but it doesn't seem possible (I'm still not 100% sure though)
It would be possible to have both a FAAST or other RX types and a ACCST RX in the model, where the ACCST only sends telemetry. If using FAAST range could be affected with dual 2.4 GHZ systems right next to each other. Do proper range checks like Renatoa suggested.

But why would you want to this? If you first go to the step to buy a DHT-U and a ACCST RX you can replace the FAAST (or other RX type) unit with the ACCST RX unit. I can't see the benefit of having two RXs in a model.

Thomas
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:06 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Indeed, but cognitive dissonance still cries in his ears that Futaba is better
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Indeed, but cognitive dissonance still cries in his ears that Futaba is better
Not really, but I haven't seen any 14ch telemetry FrSky Rxs. Have you?
I have in my smaller planes quite a few of those Orange/FrSky ones but buying all new receivers or continously changing modules is not very appealing.
You are right about having two 2.4 systems might be a problem (I haven't thought of that).
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:23 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
No, doesn't exist, and their coming 16ch PXX system will abandon PPM, so can't drive more than 8 channels from your radio.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:50 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
364 Posts
Ground looping might also be an issue if you want to measure volt or amp from lipo packs with a setup of two RXs. Renaota might be able to verify if it is or not.

Thomas
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:55 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
ANY RC system that embeds a current sensor can be subject of ground loop, in the moment of ground wire interruption or bad contact.
The OSD guys found this years before RC telemetry.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:42 AM
Joined Dec 2004
1,399 Posts
Ok thanks for all the replies, I think I got my question answered. It's not that I need telemetry, I thought it could be cool to just have something to put end to the debates on "how fast was that?" but not something I really need (at the moment).
May be in the near future if I need to move to different equipment I'll consider it .
May be for now Eagle tree might be my best option (and may be not as expensive as start experimenting woth other "cheaper options")
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:16 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferincr View Post
Ok thanks for all the replies, I think I got my question answered. It's not that I need telemetry, I thought it could be cool to just have something to put end to the debates on "how fast was that?" but not something I really need (at the moment).
May be in the near future if I need to move to different equipment I'll consider it .
May be for now Eagle tree might be my best option (and may be not as expensive as start experimenting woth other "cheaper options")
For a non live measurement you can always use something like this Hobbyking GPS logger - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ta_Logger.html