HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,575 Posts
Colored Text but it is a starting point.

Video overlay with PIC18F258, color scrolling text (9 min 30 sec)

http://electronics-home-projects.tripod.com/
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2009
906 Posts
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, as it is generated at ground station, but there's a potential :

OSD Cockpit for FPV : 3D cockpit + HUD + 3D radar + antenna tracker + google earth (6 min 0 sec)
flipflap is online now Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Only from an RGB input, not CVBS which our cameras output...
Ascended is online now Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
Only from an RGB input, not CVBS which our cameras output...
Interesting and we are learning.

What are the symbols here "CVBS"? Would like to do some research.

Thank you.

Edited: Never mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:42 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, as it is generated at ground station, but there's a potential :

http://vimeo.com/23092643
Well by judging from some replies in this thread that is the future.

But for myself I'd rather have a solution that transmits everything in the video stream to make it compatible with simple goggles and video screens.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:37 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post

But for myself I'd rather have a solution that transmits everything in the video stream to make it compatible with simple goggles and video screens.
There is nothing precluding the overlaying process to occur on the ground verse on the aircraft.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,565 Posts
I didn't say otherwise. I replied to flipflaps comment that it was made on a ground station.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:23 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
if you have a cockpit overlay, it might be possible to use information from the pan channel to make it so that the info is only visible when the camera is facing forward, or even add input from tilt so you can look 'over' the panel, then down if more info is needed.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2009
906 Posts
That's actually why the cockpit was designed in 3D : it can be moved in any position according to the head tracker position. So if the pilot looks on the left, the camera on the plane looks on the left, and the cockpit is drawn on the right.

I made some tests like this one (but it's quite old stuff now) :

Virtual Cockpit for FPV - Proof of concept (1 min 30 sec)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
that's very cool
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Mar 2009
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post

I agree, but when I started the project, almost all that was possible onboard was a microcontroller and a max 7456 osd (as in most current osd systems). Now I think that with the raspberry pi it's maybe possible to create something colorful onboard.

My goal was also not to have too much $$$ in the plane, in case of crash...
I expect also computers to be so small as to be integrated in goggles in the near future. The raspberry pi is credit card sized, with the processing power of a pentium 3 + 3D graphic card.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
I agree, but when I started the project, almost all that was possible onboard was a microcontroller and a max 7456 osd (as in most current osd systems). Now I think that with the raspberry pi it's maybe possible to create something colorful onboard.

My goal was also not to have too much $$$ in the plane, in case of crash...
I expect also computers to be so small as to be integrated in goggles in the near future. The raspberry pi is credit card sized, with the processing power of a pentium 3 + 3D graphic card.
+1 Bingo!!!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,575 Posts
Are there any risk takers out there?

Propeller Backpack
Quote:
The Propeller Backpack is a compact, multipurpose Propeller-based module that is optimized for audio and video applications. Out of the box, and without programming, it serves as a video character display for your BASIC Stamp (or other compatible controller). Using one of our 3-wire Extension Cables (#805-00001 or #805-00002), you can plug the Backpack into a standard 3-pin servo header and communicate using a simple serial protocol. Any NTSC video monitor plugged into the Backpack’s A/V connector will then display the characters sent by your program – in color, in selectable windows, and with selectable character sizes.
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...2/Default.aspx
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Are there any risk takers out there?

Propeller Backpack

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...2/Default.aspx
While the prop will output colour video, it's generated internally. What you need for OSD is at the very least a video signal timed to the cameras which you can then switch in and out between one source and the other - however this precludes any use of transparency. The prop, as far as I know, cannot be synced to the pixel clock of a camera (using hsync/vsync) - only it's own internal timing.
Ascended is online now Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
While the prop will output colour video, it's generated internally. What you need for OSD is at the very least a video signal timed to the cameras which you can then switch in and out between one source and the other - however this precludes any use of transparency. The prop, as far as I know, cannot be synced to the pixel clock of a camera (using hsync/vsync) - only it's own internal timing.
Serious, I do not know and from the source I received this from, stated, it would not work with an arduino so I most likely will not ventured this way however, in the Overlay document, it states.

Quote:
General Description
The video overlay object for the Propeller Backpack provides the ability to overlay text on an NTSC video signal using a simple byte-oriented protocol. With the included overlay terminal program, BASIC Stamp (and other micro) users have the ability to control the overlay process via the Backpack’s three-pin serial interface.
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Do...tv_overlay.zip