SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:42 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Check out ZP Dashboard for you DROID guys.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2010
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorgeek View Post
I like the ladders, but yeah the shaded boxes could go. The RVOSD ladders are good style but would be better with color

The interactive gauges that change color are just great!

I've always wanted a CDI on the bottom for waypoint flying.

I think if a system like this we're developed the screen would be 100% customize able, with simple and advanced views much like RV.

Garmin pretty much has it down

They could have switched on the box's....
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Well, will not be long before some smart person figures out how to use these for FPV.

Broadcom's 5G WiFi chips power LG's latest HDTVs

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/broadcom-wifi-5g-lg/
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2009
226 Posts
I don't think I saw the reverse challenge to how much FPV experience a certain full scale aviator has when dismissing other FPV enthusiasts' thoughts on a particular subject. I am in the market for an OSD and have narrowed it down to Dragonlink and Eagle tree because they have ladders and additional information that I probably will not care for once the novelty wears off. I fly with a TV but one day may try goggles. I could see how too much stuff coming through goggles that are 640X480 at best (most are less than that) may get cluttered on a screen. One day I hope to have more experience, and don't mind being a noob.
Rogman88 is offline Find More Posts by Rogman88
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:18 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,764 Posts
well imho you are better off flying with a large TV for any plane which has a GPS OSD. I do.

Ideally, good to have many different schools of thought working on each aspect of FPV, esp the OSD. Already we see pros and cons to each OSD out there today. Nobody has brought all the pros together into one OSD. And there are new ideas for OSD yet to be introduced.

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a level of customization far beyond what we have today - make it so folks can design their own OSD layout in much more detail than ET and RVOSD do today. Choose fonts, sizes and colours and any graphic, and load your own formulas from the input data in a user friendly 'excel spreadsheet type' desktop GUI.

then there are emerging GCS like displays for a laptop you use beside the FPV TV

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...24018&page=539
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:21 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogman88 View Post
I don't think I saw the reverse challenge to how much FPV experience a certain full scale aviator has when dismissing other FPV enthusiasts' thoughts on a particular subject. I am in the market for an OSD and have narrowed it down to Dragonlink and Eagle tree because they have ladders and additional information that I probably will not care for once the novelty wears off. I fly with a TV but one day may try goggles. I could see how too much stuff coming through goggles that are 640X480 at best (most are less than that) may get cluttered on a screen. One day I hope to have more experience, and don't mind being a noob.
Those are both good OSDs but take a look at RVOSD as well. It made me sell all my ET OSD Pro stuff since, for me, it worked sooo much better. Although I know others have had reversed experiences.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:37 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,764 Posts
hmmm. I might be tempted to do the same. RV is very tempting and ET can be annoying. Only thing is, I like the Eagle Eyes LCD GPS display in case my model goes down far away.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined May 2012
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
I think this depends on your FPV style. Some people like to fly around watching the landscape, for those, having an intrusive HUD is a no go.
Other people flight more on a goal oriented flight, either flying to certain point(s), getting the maximum range or altitude, flying times or any other flight experiments. Maybe they simple love to have complete situation awareness. An intermediate solution is the ability to toggle the HUD OFF, so you can use it when needed.
Making a color OSD is possible. However the processing power and complexity of the circuits makes them not practical at this moment, IMHO.
Sorry ElCheapo but I have to totally disagree. Processing power and complexity are no problem at all these days. If you're designing in EaglePCB and can't afford a Multi-thousand dollar IDE - then yes, it is too complex and impractical. The hobby community just doens't have the skill set to do it, and those who do make more money than this hobby could provide on other projects - it's not worth it for us.

It would not be hard to do this at all, I could do it with two IC's and a small ARM chip + a ram chip. The solution requires 3 different voltages to work, and would be a bit bigger than a credit card, but it would be doable very easily.

If i wanted to do it right I'd just use a FPGA. You can even buy video decoder/encoder cores which would do 90% of the work for you for the overlay. These however cost $15k each just to get started (the core, no the fpga) and need double the ram of the discrete solution - however would fit into a much smaller package. This would give you a frame of lag however.

Then there is always Qualcom and TI's DSP ARM Cortex A8s. They have video decoders built in, and someone with enough time can simply program the OSD onto the video picture then send it to the analogue video output. Again, requires 2 powersupplies and RAM, and also provides a single frame of lag. In a 12x12mm package with a 1ghz cortex A8 and a 800mhz DSP there isnt very much you can't do in a small space with a DaVinci processor. You can easily do PIP and multiple video overlay streams with one. At $30 for the chip alone and at least a 6 layer board it's not going to be a cheap OSD to manufacture.

Either way, this is more like 6 months of working evenings on a project, vs for a black and white osd not using a max7456 a week or so (just for the overlay portion.) You'll then need to program in all the nice to have's like return to home, graphics, sensor handling and likely an AHRS system. The return on investment is not really there to make it worth while investing enough time to make this system. If its a labour of love as this seems to be (considering 4 years of development with no release), rather than something developed for sale - it's a totally different story. For those of us making a living from electronics.. its not really worth it.
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
...That's what I said, possible but not practical. Seems to be too much work for the possible returns.
But I am sure someone will eventually do it . I even remember this guy showing some PCBs here on RCG.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
@Ascended

What is so very interesting to me is, most TVs, DVD Players or anything that is connected to a display, has some sort of OSD. I am so very surprised that someone has not hacked these chips, many of them display color.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:39 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
Sorry ElCheapo but I have to totally disagree. Processing power and complexity are no problem at all these days. If you're designing in EaglePCB and can't afford a Multi-thousand dollar IDE - then yes, it is too complex and impractical. The hobby community just doens't have the skill set to do it, and those who do make more money than this hobby could provide on other projects - it's not worth it for us.

It would not be hard to do this at all, I could do it with two IC's and a small ARM chip + a ram chip. The solution requires 3 different voltages to work, and would be a bit bigger than a credit card, but it would be doable very easily.

If i wanted to do it right I'd just use a FPGA. You can even buy video decoder/encoder cores which would do 90% of the work for you for the overlay. These however cost $15k each just to get started (the core, no the fpga) and need double the ram of the discrete solution - however would fit into a much smaller package. This would give you a frame of lag however.

Then there is always Qualcom and TI's DSP ARM Cortex A8s. They have video decoders built in, and someone with enough time can simply program the OSD onto the video picture then send it to the analogue video output. Again, requires 2 powersupplies and RAM, and also provides a single frame of lag. In a 12x12mm package with a 1ghz cortex A8 and a 800mhz DSP there isnt very much you can't do in a small space with a DaVinci processor. You can easily do PIP and multiple video overlay streams with one. At $30 for the chip alone and at least a 6 layer board it's not going to be a cheap OSD to manufacture.

Either way, this is more like 6 months of working evenings on a project, vs for a black and white osd not using a max7456 a week or so (just for the overlay portion.) You'll then need to program in all the nice to have's like return to home, graphics, sensor handling and likely an AHRS system. The return on investment is not really there to make it worth while investing enough time to make this system. If its a labour of love as this seems to be (considering 4 years of development with no release), rather than something developed for sale - it's a totally different story. For those of us making a living from electronics.. its not really worth it.

For not agreeing with him your last line states the same conclusion.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined May 2012
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
@Ascended

What is so very interesting to me is, most TVs, DVD Players or anything that is connected to a display, has some sort of OSD. I am so very surprised that someone has not hacked these chips, many of them display color.
The issue with this is it's the display panel controller or the digital processor. It's not a third party chip which does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
For not agreeing with him your last line states the same conclusion.
I read ElCheapo's "However the processing power and complexity of the circuits makes them not practical at this moment, IMHO." as meaning it's too hard to do, not meaning it's impractical to design.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:58 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,451 Posts
Quote:
The issue with this is it's the display panel controller or the digital processor. It's not a third party chip which does it.

I read ElCheapo's "However the processing power and complexity of the circuits makes them not practical at this moment, IMHO." as meaning it's too hard to do, not meaning it's impractical to design.
"Too hard" and "impractical" can mean the same thing. Something can be impractical because it would be too hard to do.
Nuf said moving on!
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Follow-up question, there has to be some Standard Practice that manufactures share and comply with right?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2012
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Follow-up question, there has to be some Standard Practice that manufactures share and comply with right?
No, why would there be? Its just an overlay. It's like saying there should be a standard website layout for all manufacturers. Relatively, it's not hard to build, especially if you're spending the sort of money on silicon and development that they do.