HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
HA aviatorgeek, I guess you don't have a clue regarding our experiences and level of knowledge. Interesting how some ppl are so quick to dismiss others and guess thier own knowledge to be superior... HA right back at ya!
It is called Cognitive dissonance
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:46 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorgeek View Post
HA! Love the pilots here...

"I don't want efficient, quick delivery of my critical information"
"I don't want flashing colors or audio prompts to alert me of a condition"
"I don't want increased situational awareness"
"All this info makes it look like a video game"

Who here has actually flown full scale? I have few hundred hour myself (PP/IR) and I want all those things. It's not a video game when your life is in your own hands. Spend a few minutes in front of a glass-cockpit. You'll see we already have all this "clutter" in the our cockpits. I'm sure Garmin has spent their fair share of $$ on design and layout of their glass systems. When you're flying IMC solo you need to be able to glance at your screen and quickly ascertain your situation and stay ahead of the airplane. COLOR has alot to do with the human eye easily making out displayed objects.
I have over 500 hrs in a high performance self launch sailplane that has gps and a state of the art flight computer with moving map plus the normal panel display. What is watched the most however is the piece of yarn on the front of the canopy which tells you if your slipping turns.
I didn't see anyone here talking about what is in the panel of a full sized aircraft so if you want to watch it while flying to save your life no one is going to question your judgement. The best advice I've heard from pilots a lot more experienced than myself is to not spend any more time than necessary looking at the panel but to constantly be scanning the horizon for traffic.
All of this has nothing to do with FPV but you seemed to be questioning others knowledge on the subject. Whatever you want to use on your model is fine with me.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:15 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Or maybe an invitiation to a pissing contest...

Also I really agree with you regarding that awesome piece of yarn, really state-of-the-art instrument, a lot harder to fly without it. When I started flying motor it was a bit discerning not to have that piece of yarn taped to the windscreen.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Last edited by boopidoo; Jan 06, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:20 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Or maybe an invitiation to a pissing contest...

Also I really agree with you regarding that awesome piece of yarn, really state-of-the-art instrument, a lot harder to fly without it. When I started flying motor it was a bit discerning not to have that pieve of yarn taped to the windscreen.
Very true that piece of yarn contributes more the turning efficiency in a sailplane than anything else on the panel. It is normal for anyone beginning to fly to think that instrumentation is their salvation because when first starting there may be no other apparent solution. When I started flying Hang Gliders the stall was my most feared situation since they cruise very close to stall speed and often there isn't enough altitude to recover before impact. It bothered me enough that I set about designing an audio stall-warning device. As it turned out by the time I had it working I had gained enough flying experience to know when I was approaching a stall just from the sound and wind in my face so my reaction had become automatic.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
I watch a lot of old vantage army air corps videos and flying by the seat of one's pants is a lost art.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZenosWarbirds
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:31 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
aviatorgeek is offline Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:40 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
I think this depends on your FPV style. Some people like to fly around watching the landscape, for those, having an intrusive HUD is a no go.
Other people flight more on a goal oriented flight, either flying to certain point(s), getting the maximum range or altitude, flying times or any other flight experiments. Maybe they simple love to have complete situation awareness. An intermediate solution is the ability to toggle the HUD OFF, so you can use it when needed.
Making a color OSD is possible. However the processing power and complexity of the circuits makes them not practical at this moment, IMHO.
Thanks for contributing, this thread has gone way off course. Supposed to be a technical discussion and instead some color stirs the pot! It's like back in the day when Color TV came out and everyone was probably bashing it "oh I don't need that my B/W works just fine" I did a little homework myself and found that may be the case.
Last edited by aviatorgeek; Jan 06, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:54 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,766 Posts
Quote:
looking closer at it, this could be good with a few changes:

- eliminate the ladders on the side. I only need one number for alt, one for speed.

- put the AHI on a switch. I would only need it for night flying or in a cloud

-get rid of the boxes around things - they just make it impossible to see through the data to the distance

- the row of bar graphs across the bottom is a great idea. Much faster to read than number, IMHO. Though numbers are not bad either.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:01 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2012
405 Posts
Who Built it?
CambriaHobby is offline Find More Posts by CambriaHobby
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:08 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
I like the ladders, but yeah the shaded boxes could go. The RVOSD ladders are good style but would be better with color

The interactive gauges that change color are just great!

I've always wanted a CDI on the bottom for waypoint flying.

I think if a system like this we're developed the screen would be 100% customize able, with simple and advanced views much like RV.

Garmin pretty much has it down

Last edited by aviatorgeek; Jan 06, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:14 PM
Dedicated live FPV service !!!
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
+1

Quote:
thanks for contributing, this thread has gone way off course. Supposed to be a technical discussion and instead some color stirs the pot! It's like back in the day when color tv came out and everyone was probably bashing it "oh i don't need that my b/w works just fine" i did a little homework myself and found that may be the case.
GRgHitec is offline Find More Posts by GRgHitec
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:42 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,766 Posts
gets difficult with FPV because we need to run it through a vTx at VGA graphics resolution, and have to deal with what is in the background, with distortion in the video goggles and even with having it cut off or blurry at the edges. Garmin has to deal with none of that - they get to work with a wired connection at high resolution and can colour the background any way they like.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
If the aircraft was somewhat autonomous, the time lag of WiFi or other broadband transmission could send both video and data with the overlaying done on the ground.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:34 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for contributing, this thread has gone way off course. Supposed to be a technical discussion and instead some color stirs the pot! It's like back in the day when Color TV came out and everyone was probably bashing it "oh I don't need that my B/W works just fine" I did a little homework myself and found that may be the case.
Well, who did stir the pot... really?

I do like progress and new things in this hobby and if this is the result of something lightweight carried in the model and not produced by a laptop on the ground it is indeed interesting. If it demands the use of a laptop I however loose interest completely. I do, sometimes, carry a laptop for my GS but I don't want it to be essential.

Color would be nice but it has to be designed smartly, when the signal is bad color can sometimes be off quite a bit and vital information still has to be able to be viewed clearly. I do not find colors just for the sake of color important at all. Other features are way more important.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Raspberry PI anyone? Hmmm