HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
wiring a bec and esc in parallel

hi guys, i recently bought a durafly trojan and was deciding to put a bec in it cos it has tonnes of servos and lights and retracts as well, 15 wires in total all running off one esc. what i thought of doing at first is to go by the books and remove the red wires and then connect half of the wires to the bec and leave half on the esc cos i only have a 3A bec. but then i got lazy and thought that i might just wire the esc and bec in series and therefore provide it with more current output if needed. dont know if anyone has tried it before but please let me know what you think! and do you think it will work. and if anyone has flown a durafly trojan and had a great time or brown outs please let me know too! thanks
nicosoh is offline Find More Posts by nicosoh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:20 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosoh View Post
but then i got lazy and thought that i might just wire the esc and bec in series and therefore provide it with more current output if needed.
SERIES would be a complete disaster. PARALLEL as in your header might just work but it's not a very good idea. If the voltages produced by the internal BEC in the ESC and the separate BEC are not identical they can sort of fight....and there's a chance that one or both of them will die.

Much better to get a separate BEC that provides all the current you need and disconnect the internal BEC.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:37 AM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,549 Posts
If one BEC won't meet your needs, you can always use two, isolating one group of servos from the rx and other servos, My 1/6 Cherokee has retracts, which I power with a separate BEC from the one powering my rx and servos. I use a Y cable, with the red wire pulled at the rx, and the loose end connected to the BEC. The common ground remains connected from all sources. If you have multiple loads to power this way, there are power-tap adapters made just for this, commonly found in the larger 3D models.
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:15 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,127 Posts
As has been mentioned, connecting BECs in series would be a disaster, and connecting them in parallel can sometimes cause problems.

In your situation I would be tempted to split the supplies, with the external BEC powering the receiver and servos (so power won't be lost if the ESC fries, or if the retracts stall and cause a voltage drop), and the ESC's BEC powering the retracts and lights. But you'll need to verify that both BECs are capable of giving enough amps for what you want them to power.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn